The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He's not a fit with Gudbranson. Maybe Tanev or Stecher are a better fit.

His defensive metrics with Tanev were excellent, so that seems like a good shutdown pair.  Unfortunately, such a pair generates almost zero scoring.

Of all our roster players, I expect the biggest improvement from Hutton.  It seems he did a lot of work in the offseason and knows that this is his opportunity to show he belongs in the league.  I'm quite excited to see what he is now capable of.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Hutton is a good athlete with potential. He just had the best summer of training in his life and he practiced a lot on his point shot and getting pucks on net. He has a couple years of pro experience under his belt. He is in a good position to take the next step as a professional and show everyone he belongs in the NHL. He has the age, size and strength to be effective in the NHL. Hockey IQ, offensive skill, and consistent fitness is what he needs to show this year. I am rooting for him. I hope he has his breakout season! 

I'm seeing this as Hutton's "do or die" season.

We all know Hutton is capable of putting up offensive numbers.

Unfortunately, last season was a derailment of sorts for him.

I really liked the start of his season. His first twenty games, although not offensively productive, showed he could be a solid defensive defender. Unfortunately, as the season went on, he couldn't maintain his reliability (I believe due to conditioning) and earned him a one way trip into Greene's doghouse.

I've not seen Ben yet, so can't testify to his shape, but everything I've heard so far, says he's in the shape of his life.

For me, a successful season for Ben Hutton is, first, making the team, and then eclipsing the 25 point threshold while being a defensively responsible blueliner.

I know the plus/minus stat is weak, but it is one of the few simple measuring aids we have to judge a players performance. There are so many stat categories used to evaluate a players performance that it just becomes too overwhelming and requires too much typing to explain. I use the plus/minus simply to show his positive/negative blueline impact players have on the team. I feel plus ten would be a good result for him.

• Upvote 1

On 6.9.2018 at 3:40 PM, Hutton Wink said:

These players' character is going to be revealed shortly, not just their natural skill and physical fitness.

@ Hutton Wink: hope you are doing great today !

Hutton has already demonstrated having character by

- engaging a new coach in Tony Greco

- engaging a skating coach

- working his butt off during the offseason to improve his skating,shot and conditiioning.

His game in the upcoming season will be the natural outcome of the efforts he put in during the offseason.

Now that he has set the foundation for having a great year we are all getting closer to the truth: Is there enough qualitiy in him to establish himself as a NHL regular?

You might ask how quality is defined. Here you go:

- How many shots from him, that he gets through will create rebound chances?

- How many shots from him will hit the back of the net?

- How many controlled zone exits will be registered for him?

- How many hits will be registered for him?

- Will he be able to end up with a positive +/- at the end of the season?

Will he meet the standard / benchmark set by other comparable D-Men in the league ? 

Consider comparable D-Men as

- D-Men playing the same paring as Hutton,

- D-Men at the same age,

- D-Men with the same numbers of NHL games under their belt,

- Offensive D-Men

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I thought Hutton looked good in the first preseason game.  (Except for that defensive gaff).  He is getting to the pucks quicker and seems more mobile on his skates.  Here's hoping he can make a career of it.

I thought he held the ozone line a number of times last night. The Oilers weren't getting a lot of d-zone pressure. The Hutton-Tanev pairing was working. Still does not change the reality that Hutton's rope is short. He is always at risk of having a prospect pass him by.   

Hutton looked better than he did last year. The game last night had it's ugly moments, and he made a few gaffes that lead to goals, but overall his game looked very good.

His endurance, physicality, and skating have improved from last year. I'm really rooting for Ben to keep it up, and with a defense partner like Tanev, I have a feeling he will.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

He had one real bad mistake, but aside from that, I thought Hutton was great last night.

That’s my read as well. And the mistake he made is not one he’s likely to repeat. 

It was one of those games that reminds me of an old saying my dad used to use: “it only takes one ‘oh s—t’ to erase 100 attaboys.”

I felt like there were countless times last night where I was going “attaboy Hutts” and just that one time where we were all saying “oh s—t!”

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 4

I thought Hutton played well.  Tanev wasn't as steady as he usually was either so it's hard to fault Hutton for his gaffe.  Would have liked to have seen all of the D shoot more as the D still do not seem to present much danger.

Hutton's got all of pre-season to show that he still belongs.  I think Hutton will do it.  Still, even if Hutton improves this season, there's a chance that the Canucks will move him at the deadline or next summer if Juolevi shows that he's ready.

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I thought Hutton played well.  Tanev wasn't as steady as he usually was either so it's hard to fault Hutton for his gaffe.  Would have liked to have seen all of the D shoot more as the D still do not seem to present much danger.

Hutton's got all of pre-season to show that he still belongs.  I think Hutton will do it.  Still, even if Hutton improves this season, there's a chance that the Canucks will move him at the deadline or next summer if Juolevi shows that he's ready.

It's my hope that Del Zotto is the first defenseman to be moved. Hutton showed way more hustle and ability last night, regardless of the mistakes.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's my hope that Del Zotto is the first defenseman to be moved. Hutton showed way more hustle and ability last night, regardless of the mistakes.

Same but we've got more than on D likely to make the club next year though ;)