The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Bo, Baer, Vrby.  That's a pretty good third line, IMHAO.

I don't see the vaunted vet leadership last year with Vrbata. If anything I saw him holding Baer and Horvat back. It is not like those two did not set him up time after time with any result.  Not for it but I would take Hudler over Vrbata.

21 hours ago, apollo said:

Vrby was phenomenal one year with Bo... They both had bad years defensively last season. The blame shouldn't be put on either imo. 

Vrby gets to shoulder the blame for last season. He only wanted to play with the twins. He did not put in his best effort when he was placed with Bo.  IMO Vrby dragged the line down. 

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎11 at 2:38 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Super excited to see Loui!

My dream for this year is, the Sedins plus Luoi don't do the Kenmore spin cylcle, I hope that they play more in front of the net and get more shots. The frustrating thing about the Sedins is how talented they really are, especially Hank, I wish he would shot more when he has the opportunity instead of passing the puck away when he has the goalie flat on his back, it just blows my mind when he does that.

• 4 weeks later...

Eriksson scored a goal in the exhibition game against Finland. Assisted by Daniel and Victor Hedman. Henrik was on the ice for the goal as well.

Edit: it was assisted by Daniel and Victor Hedman not Ekman-Larsson

Edited by ruilin96

I think 30 goals from Eriksson is expectable and reasonable, 40 is a stretch but watching them at the Worlds, maybe possible. Considering all their ages, I wouldn't expect much more than 60-70 points from each of them. Stat lines like these are what I expect:

Daniel: 20-25 goals, 65 points

Henrik Sedin: 10 goals, 60-65 points

Eriksson: 30 goals, 55-60 points

If they really take fire, the defence plays well and we have a great season, at the best I could see this:

Daniel: 25-30 goals, 70 points

Henrik: 10 goals, 70 points

Eriksson: 40 goals, 65 points

• 2 weeks later...
On September 11, 2016 at 11:43 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think 30 goals from Eriksson is expectable and reasonable, 40 is a stretch but watching them at the Worlds, maybe possible. Considering all their ages, I wouldn't expect much more than 60-70 points from each of them. Stat lines like these are what I expect:

If they really take fire, the defence plays well and we have a great season, at the best I could see this:

I don't think that's asking too much but injury factor comes into play.  The depth is the question. Who knows if this group gets a solid start and some team confidence. 

On September 11, 2016 at 11:43 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Was watching some great chemistry between the 3 today in the game vs Team Europe..  The 3 were even cycling an impressive forecheck and creating tons of pressure without the puck.

we may have something truly special to watch right out of the gate this season.  #Fluid

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Was watching some great chemistry between the 3 today in the game vs Team Europe..  The 3 were even cycling an impressive forecheck and creating tons of pressure without the puck.

we may have something truly special to watch right out of the gate this season.  #Fluid

Plus they played top defenders this whole tourney. They won't be facing that every night during the season 

• Upvote 1

If we are going to run a senior citizen top line.  Total age over 100 yrs old....

I would like to see a top 6 guy that can take care of business.

For sure teams will run our top line.    I want to have a 2nd line forward that can push back and hold teams accountable........

We need to keep our geritol line ( top line )  healthy this year and limit teams taking shots at them..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

If we are going to run a senior citizen top line.  Total age over 100 yrs old....

I would like to see a top 6 guy that can take care of business.

For sure teams will run our top line.    I want to have a 2nd line forward that can push back and hold teams accountable........

We need to keep our geritol line ( top line )  healthy this year and limit teams taking shots at them..

Lucic?  Oh ya, that ship sailed. :(

How about play Pedan up there?  

• 2 weeks later...

You can certainly tell the Sedins are very exhilarated and happy to have Loui as their linemate. I can hardly wait to see this trio put its magic together and light the lamp often over the next few seasons.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-sedins-high-on-new-linemate-eriksson

Kuzma: Sedins high on new linemate Eriksson

loui609573634.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w

BEN KUZMA
Published: October 5, 2016
Updated: October 5, 2016 5:10 PM PDT
Filed Under:
The Province Sports Hockey Vancouver Canucks

What don’t we know about Loui Eriksson?

Daniel Sedin suggested the winger’s time management with his four kids could be better. That’s understandable. Henrik Sedin suggested his linemate doesn’t take nights off and by the end of any game, he will have done something to make the Vancouver Canucks better. That’s encouraging.

You’re never going to see him have a bad game — that’s what stands out for me,” the Canucks captain said Wednesday of the the prize free-agent acquisition. “I’ve played with him and against him enough that you’re never going come out after a game and say: ‘He was poor tonight.’

“He does something every night to help the team — it could be on the power play or by just playing a steady game — and he doesn’t make any mistakes. He’s not going to cost you any games.”

It cost the Canucks a lot, especially the six-year term, to land the 30-goal scorer who will start as a fixture on the first line and first power-play unit. But beyond the $US36 million, it’s rare for a free agent to commit to a team that needs everything to go right just for a shot at the playoffs. Why the Canucks? Did the 2010 Winter Olympics leave the right impression on him and his family? Is it the Sedins? The sushi?

“I’ve played against Vancouver so many times, I’ve seen what the city is and I talked to the Sedins during the summer because I had some questions about the team,” said the 31-year-old Goteborg, Sweden, native. “They had key players hurt and everyone is looking forward to starting the season.

The Canucks play nine games in just 15 days to start their National Hockey League regular-season schedule. If their 27th-ranked power play goes from plodding and predictable to showing pace and productivity, it’s going to change the conversation about playoff potential. Eriksson has yet to find a house in the wacky Lower Mainland real-estate market, but has found a home on the ice.

Eriksson was the net-front, power-play practice presence Wednesday. Henrik Sedin and Brandon Sutter were working set-up areas in the corners, while Daniel Sedin was on the point with Philip Larsen. In theory, the left-shot Eriksson should be able to covert passes from either corner while Daniel rotates into the high slot for better scoring opportunities. He’s also there to protect one defenceman if the puck goes the other way.

“We’ll see how it goes (Thursday against Calgary),” said Daniel. “We’ve got to start somewhere.”

Assistant coach Doug Jarvis was directing the power-play traffic and having Sutter as a right-hand shot is going to draw attention, too, because of Henrik’s creativity and pinpoint passing.

“We can definitely win games if we take something from it, and the Sedins are so smart and make good decisions,” said Eriksson, who also worked with Jarvis in Boston. “It may not seem like it (puck) is going fast, but they produce.

“I’ll be playing the same way I have the last couple of years, in front of the net and be hungry. I had a chance to get some chemistry with the Sedins at the World Cup and I thought we played pretty good, and here it’s an easy system to learn.”

Of course, nothing will come easy for the Canucks. Pick a pre-season poll and they’re near or at the bottom of pretty much every one. There’s always the danger of being a one-line team. It’s why Eriksson was so attractive because he can play either wing and is also good on the penalty kill.

It will allow Willie Desjardins to move his lines around if the Canucks get out of the gate slowly. But make no mistake. There will be ample pressure on Eriksson to be as good as advertised.

“There’s always pressure; it doesn’t matter where you play,” added Eriksson, who turned down four- and five-year contract extension offers from the Bruins. “I know it’s going to be easier with the Sedins because they have that chemistry already, but I’m the type of player who can play on different lines. It’s a team game. You do everything to win and it’s up to the coach when I play.”

Desjardins was an assistant with Dallas when Eriksson had 26- and 27-goal seasons and believes the winger has 30-goal potential.

“We expect 25 to 30, but the thing about Loui is that he’s so good defensively,” said the Canucks coach. “Every bit as good as he is offensively, he’s that good defensively. He’ll have a number of roles for us.”