The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's assessment. Agree or Disagree?

HC20.0

gary lawless is a jets homer all the way!  shooting his mouth off about every move ,in the article and all he says about the jets is this?

.......Winnipeg did its thing, nibbling at the edges and looking for value plays, adding Shawn Matthias and his .93 goals per 60 over the last three seasons

Didn't TSN think that the Canucks had no chance at making the playoffs last year, then we almost did it (fell apart at the last 20 or so games though, but before then we were fine) with a team filled with mostly 3rd liners and rookies? Now we have a lot of good players.

The TSN crew all drink from the same cup as the rest of the Eastern media. If you actually look at the changes Vcr has made during the last 3 years starting with Gillis trading Schneider for Horvat the tare down has been under way for a long time they just haven't grasped the fact. Eventually one of them will realize the Vcr roster has replaced approx. 60% of it's roster already. I counted up including draft picks trades and FA signing Vcr has rolled over a lot of players and making it's roster way way younger.

That's funny because the panel all agreed van is getting allot better this off season. I couldn't care less what the article says. I'm stoked about everything they have done. They have only added one player that's in the 30 year old bracket. Everyone else fits a rebuild 

Canucks have added youth by adding Baer, Jake, Hutton, Bo, Tryamkin. Guys like Etem and Granlund are under 25.  Most of their D is 26 or younger.  Markstrom is relatively young and they have Demko in the pipelin.  But as long as the Canucks have the Sedins they will be perceived to be a team not rebuilding.   But in a way JB hands are tied, nobody is going to take the Sedins off of his hands at this point in their carrers.  Their contracts are huge anchors. 

The defence, with the addition of Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Hutton, and Juolevi looks 500% better than it  did when JB took over.

The biggest fear is who will take over for the Sedins?  You dont necessarily need to finish bottom of the barrel to pickup to tier players.  Perry and Getzlaf were drafted in the bottom half of the draft.  Jamie Benn was found in later rounds (5th?).   Johnny Hockey Gnome wasnt a first round pick.   Joe Pavelski was found in the friggen 7th round.  Boeser could turn out to be a first line sniper.  

If he adds a gritty top 6 winger, things start to look really good.

I think he is proceeding in the right direction.

1 hour ago, nom_de_plume said:

Can't wait for Blunt's weigh-in on this one.  I know how much of a fan he is of TSN, lol.

It's all crap... I'm liking Benning and the guts he's showing to continue to move forward.  Can I agree with all that he's done?  Maybe/ maybe not... Some moves are too early to tell just yet.  But he has shown he isn't afraid to keep on keepin' on...

Totally agree.

Gillis talked of bold moves in one of his 1st press conferences and yet was pretty conservative.

JB doesn't say much and then bam - Gudbranson.

Jim Benning is so far ahead in his plan to rebuild on the fly and stay competitive that professional analysts can't even fathom it. It's kind of funny actually. These guys have it so ingrained that there is only one way to succeed that they can't even consider what JB's doing as a potential method to success. All they can do is bash him until JB proves them wrong lol.

Its all about trying to get the 8th seed -  sell some season ticket packages...  try and be a 500 club. 

All this while the kids develop so someday we can challenge for a cup.

Just building for the future while giving paying fans some value along the way.

I am OK with it. Just don't want to see any more of the plus 30 players signed here.  We are good now. 

Also , would like to see our team do a better job of moving players before their contracts expire.  Burrows, HIggins, Hamhuis and maybe to be Miller and  Edler......

1 hour ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Ya we totally won't improve now with Boeser Demko Horvat Virtanen Baertschi Etem Hutton Markstrom Trymkin Larsen Stecher Pedan Joulevi Lockwood Brisebois other prospects. Were only getting better now. Horvat will be around 50-60 points. Virtanen around 15-25 Baertschi could get 20 goals etem could get around 15. Hutton can get a lot of assists. Markstrom can prove he can be a starter. Tryamkin can prove he can handle nhlers and play solid. Idk what they're thinking?

It is not about 'improving' from terrible to mediocre; it is about winning the Stanley Cup - or at least icing a team that has a reasonable chance to.  All of the players you list, which one is a truly great first line centreman?  It is very rare to pick one up outside the first few picks, and Stanley Cups are almost never won by teams that don't have one.  The last time we contended, we had both Henrik in his prime - Henrik, remember, was a second overall.

Adding Eriksson should help the twins, barring injury of coarse.

The real telling factor this year will be how the youth progress.If the young lads make some strides and the defense jells we could be sitting in the playoffs.

I am hard pressed to see a big change in the oilers defense. That is where their troubles lie. Lucic will get an eye opener.

1 hour ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Ya we totally won't improve now with Boeser Demko Horvat Virtanen Baertschi Etem Hutton Markstrom Trymkin Larsen Stecher Pedan Joulevi Lockwood Brisebois other prospects. Were only getting better now. Horvat will be around 50-60 points. Virtanen around 15-25 Baertschi could get 20 goals etem could get around 15. Hutton can get a lot of assists. Markstrom can prove he can be a starter. Tryamkin can prove he can handle nhlers and play solid. Idk what they're thinking?

Bro the only team the got better is Toronto.  They can't get any worst lol.

The Hockey News is pretty positively biased against basically every other signing in their article analyses too (other than the Ladd, Staal and Radulov deals so far, and those are against the player's contract term relative to the player's stage of their career, whereas the Eriksson headline pretty much says the team is directionless).

Hedman: Great Deal.
Reimer: Sneaky good.
Nielsen: underrated.
Backes: makes opponents "black and blue" (bruiser?)

Okposo: have something nice going in Buffalo
Eriksson: "Canucks have no identity"

Lucic: "turns Oil from country club to boot camp"
Ladd: "really long" deal

Campbell: "good band-aid"

Radulov: "boom or bust"

Hammer: "what the Stars need"

Staal: "next stop Vegas?"

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

A screen shot from a TSN article today. Basically saying management's out to lunch. Personally I think TSN's full of crap here. We're addressing organizational needs, but OMG WE'RE NOT BLOWING UP THE TEAM! Seriously though, I think Eriksson and Gubranson were both much needed pieces to the puzzle. I'm just curious, do you guys agree with TSN or not? Pretty much they're saying go full on rebuild. I just want others opinions cause this article really annoyed me.

image.png

Edit: Here's the article link: http://www.tsn.ca/gms-seem-determined-to-repeat-past-mistakes-1.519409

I agree that GM's are stupid for throwing so much term at aging players, but I don't agree with their assessment of Vancouver at all.

Haha. Yeah I saw this too.

So what is Benning supposed to do? Nothing? So basically, this guy is saying that if Benning didn't sign anyone to improve the team, then he is not out to lunch and is hard at work. But if he actually works his a$$ off and gets the best RW and the 2nd best point producer, then he is out to lunch and is not working. I seriously want to ask this guy, does what you write even make sense to you? Do you read it over after having written it?

The contract is a bit long yes. But then, so what? Eriksson will be playing at a high level for about 4 out of 6 years. Because you are worried about that 5th or 6th season, you shouldn't sign a player that you think will be a great fit for your team for the next 4 years? That sounds like a girl worrying about who her husband will be or what he will look like when she's only 5.

I like the direction our team is heading.  If you take a look from the 2013 roster to today....it is a completely different landscape.  We're still paying for a couple of Gillis's signings, but next year will see the end to that.  As for rebuilding?....holy hell, the media should actually take a look at our team.  They're just mad that we aren't going full blown tear down....so they could make fun of how little we get for the sedins, for not trading others sooner, for the return on others....blah blah blah.  Toronto can do no wrong, we can do no right.  Do you think Edmonton is going to want to play against us pretty soon?  We may not have the talent, but we'll make you pay for coming into our building.  Gudbranson, Sbisa and Tryamkin will keep you to the outside, and they do it often enough, and well enough, you'll see Edler joining in again too.   We may not win a stanley cup next year, but there is going to be a lot of youth, and if they gel, and start to achieve, we'll make some noise.

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

A screen shot from a TSN article today. Basically saying management's out to lunch. Personally I think TSN's full of crap here. We're addressing organizational needs, but OMG WE'RE NOT BLOWING UP THE TEAM! Seriously though, I think Eriksson and Gubranson were both much needed pieces to the puzzle. I'm just curious, do you guys agree with TSN or not? Pretty much they're saying go full on rebuild. I just want others opinions cause this article really annoyed me.

image.png

Edit: Here's the article link: http://www.tsn.ca/gms-seem-determined-to-repeat-past-mistakes-1.519409

I agree that GM's are stupid for throwing so much term at aging players, but I don't agree with their assessment of Vancouver at all.

Haha. Yeah I saw this too.

So what is Benning supposed to do? Nothing? So basically, this guy is saying that if Benning didn't sign anyone to improve the team, then he is not out to lunch and is hard at work. But if he actually works his a$$ off and gets the best RW and the 2nd best point producer, then he is out to lunch and is not working. I seriously want to ask this guy, does what you write even make sense to you? Do you read it over after having written it?

The contract is a bit long yes. But then, so what? Eriksson will be playing at a high level for about 4 out of 6 years. Because you are worried about that 5th or 6th season, you shouldn't sign a player that you think will be a great fit for your team for the next 4 years? That sounds like a girl worrying about who her husband will be or what he will look like when she's only 5.

Archived