The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At what point for Brocket Boeser

linden17

I'll personally give it to the halfway mark. If he hasn't hit a slump then I think he's in the legit top echelon of the league. Of course, there's always a players second year that says a lot too. 

Right now he's projecting insanely well. And, yes, I get the feeling every shift he's on that he has a chance to score, and that should say a lot to us fans. 

So... boiled down, what's the question here: If we think Boeser is a great player?

Obviously his career could go either way for various reasons, but I think it is safe to say he is an elite-level player.  I believe besides maybe Pettersson that he is our *only* elite player.  How elite remains to be seen, but it is incredibly promising to see him at a point a game so early in his career - especially considering that he isn't playing with elite players either.

Brock could be a diamond for sure. I notice he is trending up fast in all aspects of his game. Really exciting to watch. I still think its a little early to talk about him being a top player in the league though. We will see what happens when the opposing teams' top checkers really start to focus on him and study his game. Pretty tough to defend against that shot of his though. She's a beauty!!

5 hours ago, khay said:

Yes, Bure is the only one that gave us that special feel. The Sedins were special too but it was like whenever the Sedin twins were on the ice, it didn't feel like something special would happen, just typical cycling of the puck and then you realize that they have been controlling the puck for 2 minutes during 5-on-5 play, hit 3 or 4 posts before finally getting a goal.

It was weird those Sedins. Special in a non-special way. :)

As for OP, I think Boeser will truly join the elite if he improves his skating. I know it's not going to be an obstacle to him becoming a solid 30-40G scorer but improving his skating would get him to 40-50G range.

Alright ....all you guys that are still complaining about his skating are just feeding each other BS.....

Watch the frigging games....every game you will hear "and Boeser in a race for the puck and he comes up with it"

Brock is an above average skater on our team anyway...but he beats guys to the puck wether that is a 30 foot sprint or a 100 foot dash.

Brock is not in the least bit slow....

Brock will be a 40 goal scorer for sure you can book that....I think if he plays with Pettersson he gets to 50 goals easy...

I've been a fan since about 2000 and I can't ever recall a rookie that's gotten me this excited, except for maybe Jason King briefly. The twins were a much slower process and gradually improved into superstars. Brock is clearly the real deal right off the bat and is a guy who makes things happen on the ice. I don't expect him to finish with 80+ points, but if he actually does, he seriously needs to be considered one of the top 10 forwards in the league. 

Still, the reason I doubt that he'll maintain his pace is that we also have guys like Stamkos on pace for 140+ points and Kucherov on pace for nearly 70 goals. Things will likely slow down and I expect Brock will end up near 60 points. A first line player, no doubt, but probably not a star player yet.

The B-Rocket is on his way to becoming a star.

Nobody watch CBC during the Saturday game?

Kelly Hrudey is actually someone I respect on that program, he does not play cheap shots and being a goalie he does know a good shooter when he sees one.

He came out and said Boeser will be a Star... noted his strong points... spoke with awe about the wrister.

If Hrudey is ready to commit to calling him a star in the making, I think its a pretty good indicator.

11 hours ago, linden17 said:

Lets say in the next few games, Boeser maybe gets an assist and maybe a goal or two. At what point do we start to silently start the talks of brock being a top player not only in rookie scoring but as a top player in the league? i know its early and hype is high. but at some point.....if this continues it will be hard to argue that he just may be a top player. the stats are there right now. 19 points in 18 games played. i dont think we are there just yet but if this continues, this is going to be unevitable. Ive watched the Canucks and Nhl for close to thirty years and not since the sedins has there been this much promise from a rookie that actuallly has promise. weve had guys like stever kariya and fedor fedorov and so on. all of such fizzled away and never really performed. As sportsnet said tonight the last Canucks who put up similar number were Linden and dixon ward. That right there tells us we have at the very least a solid NHLer who will at the very least have a lengthy career. But Brock displays more than those two.( No knock on Trevor because they are two different players). I ask this to the average Canucks fan out there who may jump on and off the wagon. Has there been a new player that youve ever watched that makes you want to watch games again like Boeser does in recent memory? This guy reminds me of a young Naslund in so many ways. So at what point do we actually start to say he is in the top category of players. I know if he played in Toronto he would already be compared to Mcdavid.

Well, if he gets closer to the top 10 in scoring (he's currently around 40th) I'll pay more attention to that. Personal preference. 

Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride.

regards,  G.

59 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Alright ....all you guys that are still complaining about his skating are just feeding each other BS.....

Watch the frigging games....every game you will hear "and Boeser in a race for the puck and he comes up with it"

Brock is an above average skater on our team anyway...but he beats guys to the puck wether that is a 30 foot sprint or a 100 foot dash.

Brock is not in the least bit slow....

Brock will be a 40 goal scorer for sure you can book that....I think if he plays with Pettersson he gets to 50 goals easy...

He is going to be a very good player for sure whether he improves his skating or not, but if he does improve it, he will reach the elite status. Like Tarasenko, Kucherov, maybe even Stamkos level. It's not just about getting the puck, it's about being a half step faster than the defeceman that opens up even more scoring chances for himself and his teammates.

No one said $hit about him being slow. The word slow was never mentioned in my post. In fact, it only shows up in your post dude.

The Hockey Gods love threads about kids 20ish games into their first full NHL season proclaiming their greatness.    Never has it happened before that those 20ish games end up being the pinnacle of the kid's career....never (note sarcasm).   

Look, I think he is a legitimate NHL player and clearly has a nose for the net but don't also crucify him when he hits a slump or has a next year 15 year sophomore slump etc.   Over hyping a player typically only leads to unrealistic expectations followed by excessive negativity.   Enjoy his development and the fact that he is currently on a tear but temper expectations to allow the kid to grow into himself as a professional.  He is talented.  He seem mature beyond his  years.   He seems like the nicest guy in the world and a great teammate.   All those things point to a long and successful career but comparing him to current NHL "elite" isn't fair to him at all - even McDavid and his "entire Coyote team salary" is having a rough patch into his third season.   It happens.

Love this player if he is on my team so Canuck fans should be very happy.    Just let him grow with some space in the expectation column and blow those expectations away in his own time versus proclaiming something about him that may lead to a lot of disappointment.    

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The Hockey Gods love threads about kids 20ish games into their first full NHL season proclaiming their greatness.    Never has it happened before that those 20ish games end up being the pinnacle of the kid's career....never (note sarcasm).   

Look, I think he is a legitimate NHL player and clearly has a nose for the net but don't also crucify him when he hits a slump or has a next year 15 year sophomore slump etc.   Over hyping a player typically only leads to unrealistic expectations followed by excessive negativity.   Enjoy his development and the fact that he is currently on a tear but temper expectations to allow the kid to grow into himself as a professional.  He is talented.  He seem mature beyond his  years.   He seems like the nicest guy in the world and a great teammate.   All those things point to a long and successful career but comparing him to current NHL "elite" isn't fair to him at all - even McDavid and his "entire Coyote team salary" is having a rough patch into his third season.   It happens.

Love this player if he is on my team so Canuck fans should be very happy.    Just let him grow with some space in the expectation column and blow those expectations away in his own time versus proclaiming something about him that may lead to a lot of disappointment.    

Heh, couldn't help read this and think "Whose record to Brock tie again?  Oh yeah, Jason King" 

Archived