The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How is Travis Green Doing So Far?

JamesB

Travis Green's Performance  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was pleased and surprised to hear Don Cherry say during the Toronto game on December 2 that he was predicting Travis Green as the winner of the Jack Adams (best coach) award for this season. Normally,  I don't place a lot of weight on Don Cherry's opinions (although he has a good eye for what happens on the ice). And it is a stretch to see Travis Green winning the Adams award. But I think he is an excellent coach.

We can expect CDC to be pretty positive about Green, but I thought it would be interesting to see how a poll comes out. Here are some random facts.

1. After 27 games this year, the Canucks have 30 pts.  That ranks 18th in the NHL out of 31 teams in winning percentage and puts the Canucks right on the edge of the playoff margin. The Canucks have scored 75 goals and given up 77 for a differential of -2. 

2. After 27 games last year, the Canucks had 26 pts. That was good for only 27th place out of 30 teams in winning percentage. The Canucks had 66 goals for and 79 goals against for a goal differential of -13.

3. One other factor is that last year, of the Canucks 12 wins in their first 27 games, fully 7 were OT or SO wins and they had only 2 OT or SO losses. That suggests that the team had better than average luck in those 27 games as normally teams approach 50-50 in OT results. So the Canucks were actually worse than it seemed and, sure enough, the second part of the season was worse. But this year the Canucks have no OT or SO wins and 4 losses, suggesting that they are a slightly better team than the standings suggest at this point.

So the Canucks are quite a bit better in terms of performance this year than last year. But how much of that is due to Green? He has the advantage of having an additional top rookie in Boeser. But, on the other hand, the Canucks lost an established #1 goalie and the veteran core of the team (the Sedins and Edler) continue to age, not to mention the recently acquired veteran, Loui Eriksson.

Here is my read.

Green has been give a lot of projects or question marks. Obviously the goal-tending situation was a question mark. Virtanen was a question mark. How to get Loui Eriksson going was a question mark? And guys like Pouliot, Burmistrov, Gagner, MDZ and Vanek were also questions marks as it is far from clear to how get the most of them. Of of course handling the Sedins was tricky.

Travis has handled these situations well. I like what he did with Sutter and Guddy -- letting them play to their strengths. Same with the Sedins and Eriksson. And, also Boeser is a great young talent, but Travis has to get some credit for his development going so well so far. I also think Green is getting the most out of Virtanen.  Green makes more in-game adjustments than a lot of coaches and is more inclined to go with guys who are playing well instead of sticking with guys he can "rely on" (like Megna!) And, while it is hard to know what goes on inside "the room", it seems like the Canucks have very good team chemistry this year.

And, as I have said before, the fact that his teams tended to improve as the season progressed in Utica each year he was there is a very positive indicator.

I think that "coach of the year" is a long shot and not really within reach. But I think he has quickly established himself as an above average NHL coach. And that is saying a lot as obviously every guy who reaches the NHL level as a head coach is a very good coach by any absolute standard.

TG is an excellent coach.  You gotta love how hard he rips into the refs lol. 

His understanding of the game, what it takes to be a good player in the league is top dollar IMO.  ANd he seems very likeable.  Now just please sit Vanek!

Just like with JB and TL I have rock solid faith in this group.  This organization is well equipped for the future.

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

TG is an excellent coach.  You gotta love how hard he rips into the refs lol. 

His understanding of the game, what it takes to be a good player in the league is top dollar IMO.  ANd he seems very likeable.  Now just please sit Vanek!

Just like with JB and TL I have rock solid faith in this group.  This organization is well equipped for the future.

?? He is tied for 3rd in team scoring. D*** good depth scorer if you ask me. 

1 minute ago, Art Vandelay said:

?? He is tied for 3rd in team scoring. D*** good depth scorer if you ask me. 

I cant deny his depth production, but other than the odd point he gets he is killing the team defensively 5 on 5.  IMO Goldobin and Vanek are similar, and Id rather just see the one in the line up. 

He's performed admirably and has been a breath of fresh air after having had WD at the helm. There's a lot of season left but the way he's had the guys playing thus far has been encouraging. Gonna be an interesting few years as the younger guys take over this team.

Depends on your measures. 

If anything at least I'd grade him B. 

We've beaten.

Pittsburgh Twice.

Toronto Once.

Edmonton Once.

Washington Once.

Nashville Once 

All teams expected to be playoff contenders. 

The team has lost to San Jose, Vegas, Calgary and Boston (Barf). 

But the team has been at striking distance or in the playoff hunt.

We are approaching the 1/3 mark of the season. 

December looks like a mixed bag with winnable games and tough games approaching the holidays. 

Basically if we are where we are now in February I'd move him up to a grade of A. 

Changing a coach almost always shows improvement. Hell WD in year one made the playoffs. 

I think it's the culture change, and the team structure, and that Green is tough, but fair. 

The players know what to expect. They know they can't coast or take a night off. 

Even if we nosedive the rest of the season, I think long term this team is heading for better days. 

I'd say he's definitely above average so far, but I hope he's around for a long time. He's a very young coach, and a rookie in the NHL, and it shows sometimes. There are occasions where he does make mistakes, or get out-coached by the other team. That's to be expected, and they're things he'll definitely learn from in the future. He's already shown a willingness to learn and adjust to his own errors though, something Desjardins sorely lacked. He's also got a good sense of play deployment.

He's also got a skill that can't really be taught, and that's getting the team to play for each other and put in the work. His personal skills with the players seem to be very high, and that's one of those things that you either have or you don't. Green has it.

Above average so far, but I think he could develop into a very special coach.

What really is a new change of scenery is that so far Green is not a stubborn coach like AV, Torts, and Willie were. Rolls 4 lines, has everyone involved and when things aren't working he switches up the line combos and see how things go. Obviously, still too early in the season but Green is definitely the right fit for this team. 

I voted for above average.

He’s certainly more fun to watch but is he really doing a much better job considering he has a deeper and more talented team..?  I’m not sure.  The team is playing better, for sure, but it’s also a better team considering Boeser’s emergence.  Newell Brown also gets bonus points for figuring out something that works on the PP.

He’s certainly a refreshing change of pace from WD and he’s kept the team’s work ethic up... but I’m not sure he’s in the Jack Adams territory just yet. Long season to go and I’m curious to see what he gets out of Goldobin and Jake, too. 

Archived