The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canuck Player who is most Underrated?

Bertorama

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Hilarious dude! 

Oh hey... you might know, heard a rumour we might be bringing back that super ugly skate uniform back, any truth to that? Those colours too are hideous!!! Omg whoever came up with that Jersey should be slapped silly!

At the time marketing gurus’s research showed that those colours together were the most fearsome...maybe it was actually most “offensive “(what they reported the colours to be) and they misunderstood what that meant, “wow we will score more with this colour combo, make the uni’s!!”  

55 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Motte and Stecher. Both undersized guys that work their tails off to be where they are. Takes a special player to overcome their height deficit to not only become NHLers but become effective NHLers. Especially given their strengths are on the defensive end which smaller players are usually considered to be naturally weaker at. Imagine if Goldy had the fight/dog of either player, he could be an amazing for us.

Motte, Stetcher and Markstrom would be my top three guys for most underrated...Stetcher the clear winner at this point and for quite a while now.  Maybe quality of opposition plays a part in his stats, but not much.   Always appreciated and moved little guys with lots of fight in them, making it to the NHL harder for them, St Louis is a great example of this, Uber skilled but back them size was even more important and he had to wait awhile to get his chance, kudos for TB recoginizing this and giving him a shot.  

Scotty Walker was a fan favourite, remember when he came and wouldn’t back down from anyone and had some great scraps.   Rypien, RIP, heart of a lion. 

for me the guy this season has been Hutton. He gets roasted by the coach last year and deservedly so after the way he played last season. He came back in better shape and has had his tough games but he is getting more minutes and playing more against the top lines. Stecher is 1A for me this year and I have been hard on him in the past for his defensive side of the game. More play like he has had recently and we have a decent D. Adding Hughes at the end of the season makes Pouliot expendable and we have some hope on the back end.

Beagle, Roussel, have been great in what they do as well.

Eriksson. The guy has really stepped up this year. Yes I know his scoring has dropped and he isn't worth what he is being paid but he is really still underrated. He has played every game and he is an important part of our penalty kill and he's a great defensive player that I feel like the coach feels like he can put out on the ice anytime. He could have packed it in like so many other players AKA Lucic and just collected his paycheck but I feel like he really wants to be a part of the team and he brings it every night. I also feel like he has become a leader in the locker room and he and Alex Edler are both going to be important parts of number 40 development

18 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

for me it is sutter. everyone has him traded, but he quietly playing sound defensive hockey and is always getting the puck out during PK. more valuable than most people think. 

His play since return after his injury has been less than stellar but I chalk that up to not being in "game shape".  He'll get up to speed so to speak I have no doubt soon.

All of the above.  We tend to focus on Petey (rightfully so) and the guys who score us goals but we have a great supporting cast who work their tails off.  It isn't always perfect and I think we're seeing that fatigue is very real...that these aren't robots, they're human beings.  Subject to illness (a few had snifflly red noses before the break) and burn out.

Stech stands out to me...last night was a good example of that.  I scoff at those suggesting he's not "big enough" to have success.  This isn't a lumberjack competition...hockey is mostly (now) centered around skill and speed.  Langkow addressed it during After Hours, when he gave props to the Canucks for being fast.  As the game evolves, there very much IS room for a guy who may be smaller, but hustles every shift and isn't playing small or afraid.  He doesn't back away.  And last night I saw him get us out of trouble a couple of times.  Through that sheer determination and effort.Hutty too...my God, how he has grown into a great asset.  Not through any lack of effort...he's worked, hard, on it.

And Motte is just huge.  Roussel adds a dynamic that we desperately need...an edge.  He's our crazy in the closet that make them a little unsure because once that fuse is lit....

Edler and Tanev too.  They get slammed a lot on here but it's very much a matter of don't know what you've got until (one day) they're gone.  They are steady.  Not flashy, steady. 

I don't know that I've underrated our guys (except initiallyfor some, during signings when I was such a noob and just didn't know the value we were adding).

Love this team.  Kelly Hrudey nailed it last night when he spoke of why the Canucks have the potential to be dangerously successful...chemistry.  That isn't something the x's and o's on paper can determine, but is so vitally important.  This is a true "team" in every sense of the word.  Unlike some teams full of individuals all aiming for their own personal goals.

Beagle and Rousell, both work their butts off every game!!! also I am going to say this year Boeser has been so underrated since Petey came, enough so that some on here wanted to actually trade him. he is slowly and quietly collecting the points

Motte for me, although I agree with many of the names mentioned in terms of a strong supporting cast. This year's team is more solid (when healthy) than we get credit for. It's a pretty well balanced team, and when Hughes joins us (hopefully later this season), who knows what's possible!

I'd say Motte, but when everyone is saying you're underrated, it's hard to say he's actually underrated.

My big three would be Stecher, Baertschi, and Roussel.

Stecher is quietly doing his job with a good season and outside of this thread I haven't seen a ton of praise for him.

Baertschi has been underrated almost his whole time in Vancouver and has been improving each season

Roussel still gets some hate from those who didn't like the contract, but is stepping up in a big way

10 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Motte or Stecher for me this year. Neither get enough credit for their solid play this year

100% Troy Stetcher for me.

To do what he's doing at a position, traditionally reserved for bigger players and prove you don't have to be big to be effective, is something special.

In Stetcher, I've turned from skeptic to believer.

He is, with out a doubt, my most underrated player, not only on our team but in the league.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

All of the above.  We tend to focus on Petey (rightfully so) and the guys who score us goals but we have a great supporting cast who work their tails off.  It isn't always perfect and I think we're seeing that fatigue is very real...that these aren't robots, they're human beings.  Subject to illness (a few had snifflly red noses before the break) and burn out.

Stech stands out to me...last night was a good example of that.  I scoff at those suggesting he's not "big enough" to have success.  This isn't a lumberjack competition...hockey is mostly (now) centered around skill and speed.  Langkow addressed it during After Hours, when he gave props to the Canucks for being fast.  As the game evolves, there very much IS room for a guy who may be smaller, but hustles every shift and isn't playing small or afraid.  He doesn't back away.  And last night I saw him get us out of trouble a couple of times.  Through that sheer determination and effort.Hutty too...my God, how he has grown into a great asset.  Not through any lack of effort...he's worked, hard, on it.

And Motte is just huge.  Roussel adds a dynamic that we desperately need...an edge.  He's our crazy in the closet that make them a little unsure because once that fuse is lit....

Edler and Tanev too.  They get slammed a lot on here but it's very much a matter of don't know what you've got until (one day) they're gone.  They are steady.  Not flashy, steady. 

I don't know that I've underrated our guys (except initiallyfor some, during signings when I was such a noob and just didn't know the value we were adding).

Love this team.  Kelly Hrudey nailed it last night when he spoke of why the Canucks have the potential to be dangerously successful...chemistry.  That isn't something the x's and o's on paper can determine, but is so vitally important.  This is a true "team" in every sense of the word.  Unlike some teams full of individuals all aiming for their own personal goals.

We have seen this chemistry develop throughout the season.  Early on, there was little push back when other teams took liberties.  Not true any more.  Credit to Benning for bringing in character players.

And credit to Benning for team building.  He was thinking out of the box by bolstering the bottom 6 which allowed them to start Petey at centre with the option of playing him less minutes if he struggled.  This clearly hasn't been the case but we have seen that outside of the big 3 (Petey, Boeser, Horvat) the top 6 has not been strong.  Even last night, Sutter logged the most minutes of any centre (18:30).  The HNIC panel is even making comments to this effect.

In the spirit of out of the box thinking, Benning for under rated GM

Troy Stecher - the invisible man (in a good way):

G       A        P           +/-         PM         

image.thumb.png.283c7cb4e3b5c06b3ecce4abef85e9e4.png

Here are the stats from the Leaf's newest wet dream and media darling:

image.thumb.png.4aac46f82f5ac5e79eb0b82e06ebe4c2.png

Archived