The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

16 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Bo for captain! Ha I like Petey but I think his better off focusing on the game and putting up points...I also want a captain that with drop the gloves to spark the team....like iggy fighting vinny in the cup final... Kinda like Dustin brown in La....

Nothing of the old era bull of turning the cheek 

Best part of that series was the Flames were LOSERS!  

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, the grinder said:

bo was 19  on heavy veteran  team  with sedin kesler burrows etc etc  , playing on the fourth line winning 50 percent of his face offs ,   if petey showed up in the nhl at 19 on the same team he would be playing third line minutes with av coaching , and you think petey took a beating this year ?  it would be nothing like a beating he would of taken at 18 , 5 years ago  ,  

im not saying petey wouldn't of had success 5 years ago , but different team time place and coach different results   , petey does have leadership qualities and good character , and one quality petey has, he is humble , humble enough to call bo cap     

Kesler wasn't on the team when Horvat made it. Willie D was also the coach in 14-15 when Bo entered the league.

In terms of success I disagree, he probably would of had a similar season. You could argue even more success because he would of been on the PP with the two 70 point Sedins and a 30 goal Vrbata.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

13 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Bo for captain! Ha I like Petey but I think his better off focusing on the game and putting up points...I also want a captain that with drop the gloves to spark the team....like iggy fighting vinny in the cup final... Kinda like Dustin brown in La....

Nothing of the old era bull of turning the cheek 

I would agree , bo is like a swiss army knife  he can do  a bit of everything, , he is not afraid to throw some knuckles , play what ever role to win  , tough as nails heart and grit   almost a throwback player

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Kesler wasn't on the team when Horvat made it. Willie D was also the coach in 14-15 when Bo entered the league.

In terms of success I disagree, he probably would of had a similar season. You could argue even more success because he would of been on the PP with the two 70 point Sedins and a 30 goal Vrbata.

sorry wrong year , with willie d coaching  I doubt that  he is even worse than av with rookies  , look what he did to trymakin  a skinny 18 yo wouldn't of fared much better

Edited by the grinder

24 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I say Bo because english is his language. It will take a few years for Petey to know the nuances necessary to communicate as a C to the press. 

I know how easy there is misunderstandings when a swede is trying to speak english. :bigblush:

Well played Timrafan.

• Cheers 1

Just now, the grinder said:

sorry wrong year , with willie d coaching  I doubt that  he is even worse than av with rookies  , look what he did to trymakin 

Petey is on a whole different level than Tryamkin and most rookies. Superstar level. He wouldn't mismanage Pettersson because Pettersson is so good he'd would help him win games and that's what coaches want. It would be pretty obvious for him to play Pettersson

Willie isn't that dumb, otherwise he would of never of won an AHL championship or be coaching at all.

The fact of the matter is Tryamkin isn't no superstar and wasn't playing even good enough to qualify for the Calder so he doesn't belong on the same field as Petey. He is a good prospect though.

• Cheers 1

Pettersson would be a great choice for captain as well... he looks to have elite talent and is cut from a different cloth than mercurial skilled players.  He’s ultra competitive, mature beyond his years and seems determined to not have any weaknesses. With that said, I think he’s a bit too young for the burden of captaincy.  Maybe in a year or two. 

Bo, OTOH might not be that elite offensive talent but he’s also a complete player and brings more physical presence if less skill.  I just think it’s the age thing why I go with Bo: his play has a bit of room to improve still but he’s ready to take on that leadership piece.  He’s been groomed for it by the best and is equipped to meet any challenge.  

He’ll likely be outshone by Petey these next few seasons but as long as he doesn’t regress I think he brings enough to not make his captaincy a distraction.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree ha but I always loved iggy , the way he played and lead the team.....I always wanted him in van.....

We tried to get him before we settled for Vrbata...and he still did it for a few years once he left CAL.   He’s one of the better leaders of his generation - a great captain during his timeframe and one game from getting a cup....

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

The best comparable to our situation IMO:

Gabriel Landeskog to Nate MacKinnon 

imo is like

Bo Horvat to Elias Pettersson

The age gap between both sets of players are similar and both have similar roles on their respective teams. Bo and Gabriel are both skilled power forwards. MacKinnon and Pettersson are the elite high end skill that drives their teams offence. Some including myself feel Nate MacKinnon would be the best captain for the Aves as he is the emotional leader of the club. I feel Petey is the emotional leader of our guys on the ice. That is the best comparable I can think of. The only difference is Landeskog was named Captain young before MacKinnon really arrived as where Bo has yet to be named Captain. 

Landeskog was destined to be Captain before he was even drafted .... one scout was overheard coming out of the interview process at the combine saying “I’d go to f)&king war with this guy “ he oozed leadership as a kid.   The age difference is the same as are

the skill levels.   However aside from being considered clutch with his junior team nothing major was been said about Horvats leadership abilities - same with early on when the Sedins danced around media questions non-committed when asked if Horvat would be the next captain - things like “he’s quiet in the dressing room but comes to the rink ready to play etc” we’re commonplace answers.  They never really endorsed him although did eventually say he’d be a good candidate - again non committal.

Personally I think the media started in too early on the subject and hasn’t let up like a dog with a bone.   Have said before many times the optics work and as a fan it would be awesome to have Bo for the next C,  it’s a bit strange though that he wasn’t named already considering the Sedins have been gone for over a year now.  If he’s such a great leader in the dressing room he’d have been named a year ago? 

Maybe management was considering a few candidates- Sutter was thrown out there as a name but he was injured - Edler - too easy and wrong choice IMO or maybe wanted to see what EP or even Hughes was like first.  Don’t think they would saddle them with the responsibility so early  but it is important to pick the right guy to lead the next core.    Think they were just playing things safe which is ok too. 

Really can’t see why Horvat won’t get the honour and think he would make a good one if not a great one eventually - also think EP would too but don’t want him to have that added pressure so early.  Also want a NA captain...haven’t mentioned Boeser but he’s also a leader and has already done many things that have shown this in his  community and the team....we have several guys that would work - Horvat obviously will be the guy and he will get support from his peer group both older and younger.  

Oh and for BrockBoester - I take your Tryamkin and raise you with LE (I mean come on this guys a veteran and has scored more goals then most of our forward group combined right?)....

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I will stand behind anyone who resembles Linden's Leadership. You know, ..............the guy that scored 2 goals with broken ribs in a game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals? 

That one. :)

People will be talking about Linden with the same reverence they do with the eventual Stanley Cup winning Captain...for decades and decades more.  His impact on this franchise was massive - at the time we wanted him and not Modano...so got our guy at second and he didn’t disappoint.  If he stayed a winger and didn’t become a responsible two way center I have no doubt he would have cracked the 400 goal and 1000 point barrier, his offense dipped after the switch but he never complained and did his job well (thanks to OTTO) - still when he retired around 89th all-time in scoring around some pretty good company too.

As far as on ice impact Markstrom is still playing and can be linked back to Lindens trade to the NYIs.  Crazy to think about really, he gave us Bertuzzi and one Sedin, then Luongo etc...the gift that keeps on giving.  If we trade Markstrom for a pick and he works out then it’s  possible we get another generation worth of service that can be traced back to him.   Best part is he came back too.   

Something awfully special would have to happen to supplant Linden as the Captain of Captains - he’s like MTLs Beliveau that way (without the ten cups of course but different era - six teams of course each teams going to get a turn)...one day I’m sure we will see him get a picture with the Cup in Vancouver and that will be one of the happiest days of my life. 

• Like 1

The C better be on Bo's Jersey and the team better come out and just get this drawn out process over with. In my opinion NHL teams need an identity with a Captain you have that. It is interesting that Edler who has been here forever has never been talked about taking the C, which I am happy about I just know the MEDIA is going to lead to Bo having GREY hair much sooner with their idiiotic redundant questions.

22 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I agree the captaincy is just a glorified title. Teams are leader by leadership groups. I do however see great marketability of Pettersson as the C down the road. He is capture the hearts and minds of the young kids today. Those are tomorrow's customers. I am excited just to get this season going! This off-season is making us all go crazy lol.

I don't recall an off-season feeling so long in a really long time. I hope we have an lengthy playoff run to make next summer much more enjoyable!

I don't think he has to wear a C to have the young kids excited...he's already accomplished that.

It's not about marketing the team - that's a bad angle to appoint a Captain from.   It's about the team and who/what serves them best.  This owner-management group has been criticized/accused in the past for/of putting marketing/money in the forefront.  Not sure we should support that agenda as the best one.

• Cheers 1

Opening night. End of warm up. Players huddle around on ice and then Henrik steps on the ice and skates over with a folded sweater. Hands it to Bo who puts it on, the "C" very visible. Beams. Players tap their sticks on the ice. Crowd applauds.

Question: what song will be playing?