The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Subban on the Block?

Provost

New Jersey could be in quite a position to get a boatload of futures by weaponizing their cap space.

They have so many ELCs keeping their salary down, they can take on useful players just on bad cap

hits in return for extra picks and prospects... Which could also then be flipped for other good young roster players.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

New Jersey could be in quite a position to get a boatload of futures by weaponizing their cap space.

They have so many ELCs keeping their salary down, they can take on useful players just on bad cap

hits in return for extra picks and prospects... Which could also then be flipped for other good young roster players.

^ Was just looking at this on cap friendly, kinda thinking they're close to clearing house save Hughes/Hischier, (though I think Zajac retires a devil). A few UFA rental contracts there too. They could retain $ on a few deals for a better return and get those 2020 2nd/3rd round picks back + another 1st for Hall.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

It probably takes more than that unfortunately... even discounted.

Soemthing like:

Subbban ($3 million retained)

for

Eriksson

Madden

One of Tanev or Stecher 

I would probably do something close to this but not sure if I would deal Madden. I also think Subban won't garner much of a return due to his 9 million per year contract for 3 more years.

Subban (3 million retained) 

for 

Loui 6 million

Lockwood or Gadjovich

Stecher

Subban would be a solid presence on our back end. He could also swallow some big minutes should one of our other RHD go down with injuries....like we know they would.

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Subban

Fantenburg

Edit: I am just spitballing here. And as another poster said, I would rather we got Barrie as a UFA if the price was right and getting Subban would screw that. So I would be totally fine staying away from any deal.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I would probably do something close to this but not sure if I would deal Madden. I also think Subban won't garner much of a return due to his 9 million per year contract for 3 more years.

Subban (3 million retained) 

for 

Loui 6 million

Lockwood or Gadjovich

Stecher

Subban would be a solid presence on our back end. He could also swallow some big minutes should one of our other RHD go down with injuries....like we know they would.

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Subban

Fantenburg

Edit: I am just spitballing here. And as another poster said, I would rather we got Barrie as a UFA if the price was right and getting Subban would screw that. So I would be totally fine staying away from any deal.

LOVE IT

• Cheers 1

His style might actually work in greens system

Playing along side of Benn on third pairing could be something

Devil's retain 4 mil

Devil's receive

Eriksson full value

Maddon

Stetcher

This would effectively give the Canucks 3.3 in cap savings

Even if he sits in the press box it's a win

I'm also thinking that his drop off in production is likely exaggerated by playing on the devil's 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Depends.... retained salary and they take Eriksson, a serviceable defenseman and maybe a B prospect, I'd say the Canucks should go for it. 

As much as I don't like to give up on prospects, the truth of the matter is that not every prospect makes it and you will constantly need contract space to sign new FA and other draft picks.  

PK certainly isn't a #1 anymore... but how much of it is just him or just the team he's on?

If the Canucks can get him to buy into the program and have him in a more "limited" role, he could be a good fit.  Him on the the 1st PP isn't a bad idea as it gives them another offensive option.  Whoever gets bumped down will make the 2nd PP much stronger too.  

2 hours ago, Provost said:

It probably takes more than that unfortunately... even discounted.

Soemthing like:

Subbban ($3 million retained)

for

Eriksson

Madden

One of Tanev or Stecher 

You're kidding.  Thank goodness you're not the GM.  No way should Madden be included as a sweetener, and you suggest one of Tanev/ Stecher, who each has 7 points, which is already more than what P.K. has and for less $?

I'd rather the GM goes for another spending spree and tries for Vatanen/ Kreider in UFA.  Subban's also nowhere near the player he was.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Devil's retain 4 mil

Devil's receive

Eriksson full value

Maddon

Stetcher

I'm also thinking that his drop off in production is likely exaggerated by playing on the devil's 

Did it work in the playstation and if it did, then it must be doable in the real world.  Also, the Canucks should sign Green to a long term contract.

birthday party cheer GIF

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Wat 1

27 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Devil's retain 4 mil

Devil's receive

Eriksson full value

Maddon

Stetcher

Yep... Subban not being an elite #1 D isn’t the same as him being washed up like Eriksson.  He is still eating up over 20 minutes a game.

If you are swapping their contracts, you absolutely need to add.

Folks also have to consider where prospects, even if they do pan out, would fit into our team.  Madden is probably farther away than Podkolzin and Hoglander... plus we have some other guys that might hit the middle six of our lineup as well. It would be a surprise to ever see Madden as a meaningful part of our roster.

Added cap space and having a useful player instead of Eriksson is a win.  

I am not sure about the folks saying it would ruin our chances of signing Barrie... without dropping Eriksson’s cap we can’t afford him anyways.  This move would actually free up more space.  We only have 1 RD signed beyond this season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Very true. Something has been completely dysfunctional in New Jersey this season. 

NJ has become addicted to 1st overall picks (two in three years) and is obviously, following the Laffs model of rebuilding.  Perhaps, if they can learn from the Laffs they can keep there window open longer ?   Also, teams like NJ will always have a small window because if they are not competing then there are no support and will more than likely be shedding salary.  Sustainability, of course, will depend on who comes back and who is drafted with the picks.  Do able but risky and with the right people it can be done; although eventually, the law of diminishing returns will rule...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep... Subban not being an elite #1 D isn’t the same as him being washed up like Eriksson.  He is still eating up over 20 minutes a game.

If you are swapping their contracts, you absolutely need to add.

Folks also have to consider where prospects, even if they do pan out, would fit into our team.  Madden is probably farther away than Podkolzin and Hoglander... plus we have some other guys that might hit the middle six of our lineup as well. It would be a surprise to ever see Madden as a meaningful part of our roster.

Added cap space and having a useful player instead of Eriksson is a win.  

I am not sure about the folks saying it would ruin our chances of signing Barrie... without dropping Eriksson’s cap we can’t afford him anyways.  This move would actually free up more space.  We only have 1 RD signed beyond this season.

I just went and read the Devils board.  Even they don't think they will get much for Subban due to his recent play and contract.

No way I offer Madden.

It would have to be a lesser prospect imo. It is not like we even need the guy. I would not mind if JB picked him up and JB has shown interest in the past. But it would have to be a low price along with a good chunk of salary retention.

If NJ was willing to retain 50% then that prospect becomes a better one.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

Watching Devils vs Avs they said Hall is a Healthy scratch something maybe brewin also the AVs commenters we’re raving about Hughe brothers plus the Quinn Makar battle. 

Subban id pass....no cap room now and there’s no cap room in the future for Subban on the Canucks....plus he’d probably be on team Seattle in the expansion draft. Just to drop his contract.

Edited by HockeyHarry