The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Zach Bogosian

1 hour ago, TheRick said:

Montreal could make a claim since Weber is out for the season.

Considering Bogosian is a UFA this summer, this would make total sense.

As others have mentioned, the Jets could also pick him up for depth.  Their team has played amazingly well despite all the changes in the summer and Byfuglien's unexpected situation but they could definitely use more depth.  With Bogosian being a UFA next summer, I can't see any risk for a team outside of $ that could afford his salary and cap hit.

I can't see how Winnipeg doesn't take him (if he falls to him). They desperately need a RHD, and have plenty of cap space (they could add over $17M today and still be below the cap, pro-rated of course).

Then, if for some reason the Jets pass, Carolina has room for a righty until the playoffs, with Hamilton out.

2 hours ago, BobbyClarke said:

He will get claimed.  Leafs are desperate for D.  Maybe the Blues as well.  Actually, I could see him performing better on a team like the Blues.

Leaf's can not afford him.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Baertschi for Bogosian (retained to balance out the cap and after he has cleared waivers). They might be hard pressed to add players next year given their play, so having Baertschi signed for next year might be beneficial and could replace Sheary who has been underwhelming for them.

Sounds like a plan, the canucks need all the toughness/ physicality they can get.

41 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If we scooped him do we pay his entire cap hit?

I think if we claim him before he clears we take the whole cap hit, but if he clears and goes to the minors i believe its only half if we trade for him..?

7 minutes ago, Disgruntler said:

I thought you only paid 50% when claimed off waivers. Where did I get that idea?

Re-entry waivers iirc

That's been removed from previous cba.

Now i think it's only half if the player clear waivers and is sent down the salary is half.

Like Baertschi, in utica he makes 3.66 but if he were to be traded his cap would be 1.83.

If Baertschi were still in the nhl his full cap hit when traded would be 3.66

53 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:
1 hour ago, Disgruntler said:

Re-entry waivers iirc

Now i think it's only half if the player clear waivers and is sent down the salary is half.

Like Baertschi, in utica he makes 3.66 but if he were to be traded his cap would be 1.83.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why bother to do this if you're Buffalo? its not like its going to be a playoff year for them. I suppose they could be giving him a chance to play somewhere else since he's un-tradable.

No Cap space. 

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Sounds like a plan, the canucks need all the toughness/ physicality they can get.

I think if we claim him before he clears we take the whole cap hit, but if he clears and goes to the minors i believe its only half if we trade for him..?

Re-entry waivers iirc

Max that can write off by sending to minors is $1M

they got rid of the re-entry waivers thing a season or two ago. 
the Leafs just lost Jonson for the year which opens up $3.4M in cap space. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

If there was any desire for Bogasian Buffalo would have dealt him to recover what they could. Vancouver is way past the desperate stage they don't need this guy. The org depth is well enough along to have them play games in the NHL. In fact they should be playing. 

21 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Re-entry waivers iirc

I am pretty sure you are wrong. If Baerstchi is traded his cap hit being less has nothing to do with clearing waivers. His cap hit for this year would be less for the team that acquired him based on the amount of games left in the year but the following year his cap hit would be the maximum amount for that team.