The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Tyson Barrie

brian42

Wherever Barrie goes, or even if he stays with the Leafs (likely not), he will get paid lots of money, and that team will (likely) score lots of goals. They will likely also have more goals scored against them. Seeing the Leafs qualifying games, I saw nothing to change my mind as to his value for this team, and I hope that the Canucks give him a solid pass.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

On 8/11/2020 at 1:09 PM, Robert Long said:

for sure, I don't know that Boston is going to be all that keen to let him go, they do have the cap room to keep him if they want to.

I think a lot of this hinges on what Tanev is willing to do. If he is OK with doing an extension at his current salary level then i think he ends his career here. If he's looking for 5+ I don't think Jim goes that way. 

Hughes isn't that big the last thing we need is another small Dman. We need to get bigger and stronger on the backend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Hughes isn't that big the last thing we need is another small Dman. We need to get bigger and stronger on the backend.

dont forget tho Juolevi has that kind of frame (6-3, >200lbs) and Woo looks to bring a physical element too. But for sure I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in another big body as long as he's not a plug.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Robert Long said:

dont forget tho Juolevi has that kind of frame (6-3, >200lbs) and Woo looks to bring a physical element too. But for sure I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in another big body as long as he's not a plug.  

With Jack Rathbone (5'11-6'0) also coming, I am in the find another big-ish D-man camp as well. Particularly on the right side. It would be a dream to have a Colton Parayko on this team. Or a Brandon Carlo. 

• Cheers 2

I was all for getting him last summer but after Hughes becoming godlike, I agree with others that we don't need another small D.

The only situation I can think of where I would not mind Barrie is if, due to covid and his recent mediocre play, he signed a VERY team friendly contract with the canucks. But it would have to be extremely good cap wise.

50 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

With Jack Rathbone (5'11-6'0) also coming, I am in the find another big-ish D-man camp as well. Particularly on the right side. It would be a dream to have a Colton Parayko on this team. Or a Brandon Carlo. 

for sure. Not many of these types available in free agency tho this year. 

The way things are going, I suspect the team will put a priority on re-signing Chris Tanev. That said, he’s having the type of playoffs that might make other teams take notice, and he might get an offer of more money and term than the team can justify. Love Tanev, but giving him anything close to what Muzzin got in Toronto (4-year, $5.63M per) would be hard to swallow, given his injury history.

If Tanev walked, and Barrie would consider a 1-year, team-friendly “redemption” deal (similar to what Shattenkirk signed with Tampa), then maybe it could happen. He had a very frustrating year, and might be looking to play somewhere that could boost his value. But short of that, I just don’t see it happening.

Edited by D-Money

On 8/15/2020 at 9:56 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Barrie would be in the press box in the playoffs.  Any team willing to pay $6 million+ for him is nuts.  

He's a 50+ pt dman ... I'm pretty sure 6 million is a steal for him. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

not really. Without a stud defensive partner he's well into minus territory. He has to be managed more than other guys on his spots, so that makes him less valuable. 

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

A one dimensional defenceman who can't play defence but can rack up 50 points.  Did nothing for Toronto in the playoffs and is pushing 30.  The only thing Barrie is stealing is his younger brother's lunch money...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

50+ points is fine and all, but his defense is suspect, to say the least. 

Besides, there are current cap issues that have to be dealt with first. 

I also believe Benning said they weren't looking to add UFAs this year. (Sure hope not)