The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

benning has said

Rate this topic

smithers joe

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm not sure if your been serious or just trolling accidentally on purpose.   Go back and look at the entire history of our first rounders and compare BB regardless that he was a late pick.  Then do some research as to what scouts consider a win for each part of the draft.  JV has already surpassed what is considered a bust and has yet to score 40 points - something BB has done in each of his seasons so far despite injuries.   Sure there is a SMALL chance we could get a better player.   And maybe overpaying a UFA would help fill the gap.   I could get behind a hockey trade that included a defenseman that's a similar age and has similar upside.   JB has overachieved on 2 of his top ten picks and missed twice - that's 50%.   Given playoffs now and in the future is the goal there is no way he trades BB for picks.  

The point of moving Boes would be to free up cap space, I'm sure they'd also get a solid depth d player in the deal as well.

AS far as trolling?  You can go back a cpl seasons and I said the same thing.  For me, Boes has always been a player I didn't consider part of the core and their best option to move as they start to fine tune.........he just doesn't play the game the way they want to play.

All we know is Summer will be interesting and Trading camp will be a dog fight.

Draft? Betman “ I think you wanta hear this...Canucks trade their 2020 3nd and 4th picks plus Loui Erickson to Ottawa for a coupon at Tim Hortons that will be honored for the full duration of Loui E contract.

yes I’m that guy

D0E0A091-CA1C-49C5-B3BC-8BB0F1B51232.jpeg

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, after his bonus is paid this summer he's only got $5m left owing, or effectively, $2.5m per season. That becomes a LOT more movable. Retain 50% and that shrinks to $1.25m. 

So in this a scenario, what is his cap hit to us after he's gone? 

Also wouldn't he have to agree to the trade. 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:25 AM, smithers joe said:

that they have to decide who to keep and who to move in the summer.

the names i have on expiring contracts and other movable pieces are, 

toffoli, gaudette, macewen, leivo, fantenberg, markstrom, stecher, tanev, virtanen, motte, goldobin

other pieces with more difficulty that need to be moved are, ericksson and baertschi. a few more have one more year on their contracts.

wishful thinking aside, who do they move to recover picks, prospects, hockey trades or let walk?

I'm think Benning needs to jump on the opportunity to move Tanev and  Stecher. 

Especially in Tanev's case because he has miraculously avoided injury this season. I can't remember this happening and i'd bet it won't last. 

I Hughes will do just fine without Tanev. Fans can't get lulled into a false sense of security with Tanev. 

Stecher has been steady but the back end needs a bigger tougher guy than Troy for the upcoming playoffs. 

What can one say about the Eriksson and Baertschi contracts. I'd throw Goldobin in that mix too. I'm still not fully clear on buy outs and how they effect the cap.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:41 PM, Alflives said:

It’s Marky, Tanev, and Tofu who are the big three UFAs we would like to resign.  That means Loui, and Sutter, and Baer have to go.  To dump those three guys will cost us our future in prospects and picks.  How did we get into this horrific circumstance, where it will cost us our future to keep our future?  Totally insane. 

And Demko

22 hours ago, aqua59 said:

I'm think Benning needs to jump on the opportunity to move Tanev and  Stecher. 

Especially in Tanev's case because he has miraculously avoided injury this season. I can't remember this happening and i'd bet it won't last. 

I Hughes will do just fine without Tanev. Fans can't get lulled into a false sense of security with Tanev. 

Stecher has been steady but the back end needs a bigger tougher guy than Troy for the upcoming playoffs. 

What can one say about the Eriksson and Baertschi contracts. I'd throw Goldobin in that mix too. I'm still not fully clear on buy outs and how they effect the cap.

The buyout cap hit would stay on the books and reduce the available cap space. 

Eriksson’s contract is pretty much buyout proof this summer because the cap gain is so negligible.  The buyout cap hit is the cap hit of the contract less the base salary savings.  When a contract has a lot of bonuses there is very little salary savings.  Same if the contract is front loaded.  The less the remaining base salary owed, the lower the salary savings, so the higher the buyout cap hit.  It’s spread over twice the remaining length of the contract.

Eriksson’s buyout cap hit would be on the books for 4 years - 5.67M followed by 3.67M and another 2 years at 667k.

Baertschi’s buyout cap hit is over 2 years and would be 1.76M followed by 800k.

The buyout window opens in the 2nd half of June and closes at the end of June.  The decision has to be made before free agency.  Another window could open up if a player files for arbitration.  Canucks had no 2nd window last year. 

The Canucks will probably not qualify Goldobin.  It will make him a UFA and clear his contract spot.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, mll said:

Eriksson’s contract is pretty much buyout proof this summer because the cap gain is so negligible.  

Eriksson’s buyout cap hit would be on the books for 4 years - 5.67M followed by 3.67M and another 2 years at 667k.

I'm not so sure this isn't on the table. Yes next year there's little savings, but after that its big enough to matter and a year when it needs to matter. That 2.33 mil might be the difference in keeping a key player. 

You'd think a team like Ottawa would take him 50% retained for a decent prospect, but I don't think its going to happen. So at least with a buyout in year 2 you've essentially got a 50% retained result and haven't lost a prospect. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, mll said:

Eriksson’s contract is pretty much buyout proof this summer because the cap gain is so negligible.  The buyout cap hit is the cap hit of the contract less the base salary savings.  When a contract has a lot of bonuses there is very little salary savings.  Same if the contract is front loaded.  The less the remaining base salary owed, the lower the salary savings, so the higher the buyout cap hit.  It’s spread over twice the remaining length of the contract.

Baertschi’s buyout cap hit is over 2 years and would be 1.76M followed by 800k.

The buyout window opens in the 2nd half of June and closes at the end of June.  The decision has to be made before free agency.  Another window could open up if a player files for arbitration.  Canucks had no 2nd window last year. 

The Canucks will probably not qualify Goldobin.  It will make him a UFA and clear his contract spot.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not so sure this isn't on the table. Yes next year there's little savings, but after that its big enough to matter and a year when it needs to matter. That 2.33 mil might be the difference in keeping a key player. 

You'd think a team like Ottawa would take him 50% retained for a decent prospect, but I don't think its going to happen. So at least with a buyout in year 2 you've essentially got a 50% retained result and haven't lost a prospect. 

They could also postpone for a year.  The buyout cap hit in June 2021 would be 4M followed by 1M.

I don’t really see Ottawa having trouble reaching the floor.  Chabot is starting an 8M contract.  They also have RFAs to re-sign this summer but also next before Eriksson’s contract is up.  

Ottawa is also picking really high and twice.  Things can change so quickly.  Easy example Vancouver with Boeser and especially Pettersson and Hughes.  Ottawa has Chabot, Tkachuk and this draft could allow them to take another important step forward.  In a year they might want to add players over the summer like the Canucks did by getting Miller.  Adding Eriksson or any cap dump with term could limit them.

• Cheers 2

On 2/21/2020 at 6:25 AM, smithers joe said:

that they have to decide who to keep and who to move in the summer.

the names i have on expiring contracts and other movable pieces are, 

toffoli, gaudette, macewen, leivo, fantenberg, markstrom, stecher, tanev, virtanen, motte, goldobin

other pieces with more difficulty that need to be moved are, ericksson and baertschi. a few more have one more year on their contracts.

wishful thinking aside, who do they move to recover picks, prospects, hockey trades or let walk?

Im sure Francesco has some mafia connections. What if Louie was given a choice to either get forced retirement due to a equipment allergy  or simply disappear? 

• Haha 1

This is what I’d try and do:

Sign:

-Markstrom

-Barrie (Stecher trade)

-Toffoli

-Virtanen

-Motte

-Gaudette

-Tryamkin

Walk away from

-Tanev

-Leivo

Trade 

-Boeser for a 1st rounder and good prospect

-Baertschi with 50% retention towards the end of the summer for a draft pick.

-Sutter with 50% retention towards the end of the summer for a draft pick.

-Eriksson with Demko as a sweetener if Eriksson doesn’t retire after collecting his signing bonus.

how soon can you trade a player after re-signing him? UFA/RFA? resigning or a player from another team?

i'd say let Tanev go, re-sign all the good forwards... and then deal some forwards for defensemen...... basically virtanen for a defenseman who is analogous to JV. i.e. good young talent.

trading RFA and UFA doesn't seem like that big a deal in the NHL. the big thing with TT i guess is he may think of signing in vancouver whereas he wouldn't have if he hadn't come here. not sure about hockey but i find canadians love living in the united states if they get the opportunity. 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:44 AM, aGENT said:

Step one is unfortunately to trade Roussel and his $3m hit. I love that guy but winger depth is one of our strengths and not only does he not costs us anything to move, we'd actually stand to gain a small return. 

A small return we could perhaps add to Baer as step two (perhaps/likely also with retention) to move his salary out.

Step 3...pay Loui his summer bonus then pray he retires or we can move him, likely with retention, without adding too much. This one might sting a little.

That's anywhere from $7.5-$12.5m cleared right there (depending on retention etc).

Assuming he won't re-sign for under $2m, move Stecher's RFA rights.

Unless Leivo is willing to re-sign for about what he's currently making, he's likely gone too.

Same goes for Fantenberg unless he re-signs cheaper than Benn (which would make Benn and his $2m expendable).

With Ferland presumably on Robidas island, that should be enough to bump Marky up to $5.5-$6, Virtanen up to $2-$2.5, Motte to say $1.25'ish, Gaudette up to $1.5, re-sign Toffoli at around $5 and Tanev around $4-$5. Bring in some cheap ELC's/bridge players like MacEwan at F and one or two of Tryamkin/Rafferty/Brisebois/Juolevi on D.

If Marky signs that low I'll be doing an Irish jig. I'll be doing a happy dance if he signs for 7m as I think he'd get north of that in free agency.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:41 PM, Alflives said:

It’s Marky, Tanev, and Tofu who are the big three UFAs we would like to resign.  That means Loui, and Sutter, and Baer have to go.  To dump those three guys will cost us our future in prospects and picks.  How did we get into this horrific circumstance, where it will cost us our future to keep our future?  Totally insane. 

I don't consider myself a hockey genius but I knew the LE contract was bad when it was signed so I've always wondered what happened there with the smart people who decided to bring him in. 

I've never liked bashing players on our team. Like it always bugged me people harping on Raymond and Ballard types. 

But I can't stand Eriksson. Next to messier he's my least favorite player to have ever put on a Canucks Jersey. And I've been following the Canucks since about 73. 

Bear and Sutter contracts need to go but those two don't bother me. 

19 hours ago, Baggins said:

If Marky signs that low I'll be doing an Irish jig. I'll be doing a happy dance if he signs for 7m as I think he'd get north of that in free agency.

If he wants to sign for $7m (or North), he probably goes to FA. I don't think the Canucks have any interest in paying him much above $6. He's playing VERY well but his age, short history of playing at this level, this injury, the team becoming a destination, him clearly wanting to be here etc keep the price South of $7m IMO. (Never mind goalies being complete voodoo).

Hopefully TD can also play well in his absence here over the next month and tilt further leverage towards the club.

Edited by aGENT