The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It must be horrible to be a cop going into a domestic.  HOWEVER, they have training/back up/etc. to employ and firing 7 shots just doesn't seem like a reasonable response.  If you have his shirt, wrestle him to the ground and throw cuffs on.  Fire ONE shot to stop him from progressing...maybe in the leg?  Arm?

If cops are "reacting" out of fear, they're not fit for the job.  If their go to is fire 7 shots into someone's back, that needs addressing.  More training.  Etc.

Again....I empathize with cops.  I wouldn't want that job if it paid a million dollars and the bravery shown is commendable.  But it's important to understand that their job is intended to apprehend first and foremost.  If multiple shots fired at close range is part of that, it needs reviewing.

And for every handful of good cops out there there is, in my opinion, one bad apple who thinks that badge is somehow a status symbol rather than one that signifies serving and protecting.  When you have a gun as part of your job it's important it's not a "go to" as much as "a last resort".

I agree with the sentiment, however cops are not trained to shoot an arm or leg or to incapacitate (that’s what the taser is for) in often crowded/populated spaces) there is no margin for error, you aim for a moving arm or leg you likely miss and hit some else. 

police will be fearful and scared, and that’s when training should kick in. 

police are trained when they fire a weapon to target the largest area (the torso) and to empty the clip. 

also culturally each place is different. American cops are trained to think everyone is armed so every one is a threat untill otherwise proven (uk it’s the opposite (and no idea about Canada’s) this creates a them vs us mentality even in the police force which is why the US police are a lot more trigger happy - it’s trained into them to be.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Because people are questioning the absence of the facts in this shooting ?

Again, it's not about this one shooting. It's a systemic issue that needs to be addressed (by everyone). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Blake shooting occurred on Sunday. It was another awful police situation in a long line of incidents. 

The postponement of the league is a result in the escalation that happened in the days since, such as a 17 year old killing people in plain sight while the cops once again screwed up. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Actually, this time is different compared to decades ago. Look at the protests and marches, you see many more whites and non blacks joining the cause. There is progress. 

Yes, but at what cost?  Cities burned down, looting, violence do not solve anything as it will turn off majority of American people and resentment lingering for those who owns any property.  Even blacks are speaking out and condemn the looting, rioting, etc.  Yet they don't stop doing that.  

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

No.  But I can stand with them.

Blown out of proportion?  You have a tipping point here, and it's time to understand that we are all entitled to the same basic treatment/freedoms as human beings.  If you feel it's not important doesn't mean I have to.

I will stand for the end to racism 100% I have had tons of talks with my best friend ( who is black, born in Africa), about all this. I wont support using this shooting as an example until the facts are discussed.  It doesn't seem to be what is being sold to everyone is the truth. It has to be done without sacrificing cops or details in something like this. More then just one life is one the line ( including this officers). Everyone who is crusifing this cop needs to fully understand and present the facts . 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Vintage 2

Just now, DonaldBrashear said:

I am all for Black Lives Matter, but cancelling hockey games will NOT help the problem it will only make it worse. Want proof? Look no further than this thread, or facebook, or twitter. Everyone is fighting and angry

It's called discussion and it's good, even if people are getting heated. Cancelling games promotes the discussion. 

What BLM needs to understand is CHANGE WILL NOT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT. It takes decades and centuries even for true change to take place.

BLM knows that. This has been a continuing issue for 600 years. Nobody things it will be solved overnight. 

Also, this has nothing to do with the police. It is a systemic problem.

Police are a large part of the system. 

The real problem is how many times I say to myself "If that person was white, they would have not been treated like that". Society is guilty of look at black people as more dangerous than white people.

100%.

If you want someone to blame, blame the media. For years they fear mongered the public every night telling us how dangerous black people were. Now they want to pretend they never had anything to do with it. Now they go the other way and only report the things that inflame the situation. They don't report stuff like this guy had a warrant for his arrest out for sexual assault and that the officer who shot him 7 times thought he was reaching for a knife in the car (which was found in the vehicle). Am I saying it is justified? No. But the media won't tell you those things you need to really search for them. The media has an agenda here and it is to stir stuff up as much as possible so they get ratings.

The media certainly has an effect, but blaming the media entirely is a bit of a cop-out. Didn't you say it was a systemic problem? 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3