The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

And it’s even easier to just ignore it all together when you’re not being affected in any way whatsoever. Which is precisely why this I believe this does help. But you’re entitled to your opinion. It’s just a hockey game, since when did our entertainment begin meaning more than other people’s rights and lives.

It helps how? Raising awareness?  A bunch of millionaires taking a day off?

What would mean something would be if we saw 150 hockey players and coaches in Toronto and Edmonton don PPEs and march through the streets with placards

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Nux needed the break ;)

Kidding aside, good on them to stand together. 

It is pro sports. They have lot of eyes on them.  This stance is causing all of us to talk about this, which is helpful. 

My first take on this was that we should play the games.  It's a huge game for the Canucks and of course as a long time Canucks fan I'm stoked for it.  But on further consideration, I think that it isn't such a bad thing to postpone the game.  It is already having the desired effect of having people talk about the issue, reluctantly or not.  At first I have to admit that I was kind of embarrassed that it was Horvat and the Canucks that were spear-heading this but upon further consideration I see it as a classy move.  We'll still get to see our Canucks play (probably) and maybe we help reduce racism at the same time.  I'm still pumped for game 3 though.  It's going to be yuuuge.  Go Canucks Go! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Mods, lock this up as it's not doing anything to further any responsible dialogue. I'm frankly disappointed in the fanbase on this threads' inability to remove their own selfish motives. At the end of the day, this is a game that we are privileged to watch and it's postponement is a sobering reminder.

Edited by Oregon.Duck

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm glad we postponed ...

Canucks had tough physical series vs Minny and Blues.

Myers and Toffoli get more time to recover especially Myers.. 

The team blocked 40 shots last game. Nice to get some extra rest to heal..

Vegas had a long rest before round 2 started Canucks only had 48hrs..

Bottom line we definitely benefit from this extra rest and we'll gladly take it.. 

Totally.

It's a good cause with benefits on and more importantly off the ice.

And my liver needs a time out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

One black man took a knee at a football game during the anthem and every major media news outlet covered it. It was front page everywhere.

If a white woman gets stabbed to death by a group of black people it likely won't make the front page.

That is called agenda, isn't it? Am I wrong?

Or when a five year old boy gets assassinated. Media is crooked and to blame for a lot of this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

George Carlin talked about how stupid the average person is and then realizing that half of all people are even stupider than that. The short-sightedness on this board really helps this quote ring true. 

It isn't about cancelling a hockey game to end racism the next day. It is about players recognizing that they play for wealthy owners. Owners that have the power to make changes that even multi-millionaires cannot institute. The players are leveraging their power to get owners to put pressure on legislators to make change. By postponing games for two days the players are showing owners that they do have the ability to organize and work collectively, and that is enough of a shot across the bow to make owners take their players' actions seriously. For example, the players have already placed pressure on owners to use stadiums to act as polling stations so that attempts at suppressing voter turnout can end in the United States. 

Well said and I agree, though, most of the players are also wealthy. 

Just saying.  

If I take a day off to protest - I am out a day of pay - no one is going to step up and help me with my bills (and I don't expect that).  

I disagree with the violence and looting.

The protesters were told to keep it peaceful and in doing so they saw zero change. 

Again I do not support the violence and looting but I understand people fed.up with systemic racism boiling over at the current situation .

Protestors burn a building in rage and are called terrorists and worse. Counter protestors.show.up armed and they are viewed as patriotic militia ? 

What the world needs now is for more examples of leaders in peaceful protest taking a stand. This is the right move and needed. Systemic change will only occur when people force it and violence isn't the answer - and nor is simple protests that have had little effect 

It's a game .... These leaders want to use their privalige to deliver an important message by non violent means ..... the more that do and the quicker they do will bring this to an end sooner 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Can't help but think of this when I read that the Canucks lead the way in the decision to postpone.

I know that's kind of a lousy thing to think but It really could help for our guys to get some healing time.

The cynic in me says they didn't want to be upstaged by the Raptors who apparently were the driving force behind the NBA action

4 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

One black man took a knee at a football game during the anthem and every major media news outlet covered it. It was front page everywhere.

If a white woman gets stabbed to death by a group of black people it likely won't make the front page.

That is called agenda, isn't it? Am I wrong?

False equivalence. 

Just now, StealthNuck said:

False equivalence. 

Call it what you want, but when an editor at CNN looks at two stories, side by side, they pick the one that they know will get the most ratings. Period. That means the story that is most inflammatory. I call into question the integrity of the media and I ask who is holding them accountable? Seriously, who holds the media accountable?

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

It helps how? Raising awareness?  A bunch of millionaires taking a day off?

What would mean something would be if we saw 150 hockey players and coaches in Toronto and Edmonton don PPEs and march through the streets with placards

I mean yeah, look at how many people are talking about it right now. It’s clear that it’s getting a message across. It’s 1 day man, just watch a movie. 

• Vintage 1

Disagree wholeheartedly in the decision not to play. Clearly the Canucks were the "loudest" because they saw it as a strategic move to rest players and to wait for key players (Myers) to return to the line up.

In terms of actual delay, this is awful for timing and economics of the game. The NHL season is already delayed, we cant afford to have even more delays in the playoffs seeing how late this will push the start of the next season. These racial battles will continue, please dont stop sports for it, it ruins the economics of the games and wastes our time as fans planning our evenings around games. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Mods, lock this up as it's not doing anything to further any responsible dialogue. I'm frankly disappointed in the fanbase on this threads' inability to remove their own selfish motives. At the end of the day, this is a game that we are privileged to watch and it's postponement is a sobering reminder.

I'm keeping it open as discussion is one of the goals of the boycotts/cancellations.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Heretic said:

Well said and I agree, though, most of the players are also wealthy. 

Just saying.  

If I take a day off to protest - I am out a day of pay - no one is going to step up and help me with my bills (and I don't expect that).  

I agree, but not wealthy enough to make a difference, especially when compared against owners. Virtually all NHL owners are multi-billionaires. NBA/NFL/MLB likely much more. It would take 1,000 players making one million dollars each to equal a billion dollars. I'm much closer to being as wealthy as Loui Eriksson as Loui Eriksson is to being as wealthy as those that really have the economic status to influence governmental change. 

The point I'm trying to make is that being rich isn't enough to pressure governmental change. But, millionaires that have the power to impact the bottom line for billionaires is what can make the latter pick up the phone and effect meaningful change. 

Maybe none of this will change anything, but at least there is an effort, and I see the effort being connected to logic as opposed to just a random 2-day postponement to satisfy social media experts. 

• Like 1