The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

If you need sports to be a distraction in your life, maybe you need to think about how to improve the quality of your life so that it is not so dependent on something so external/out of your own control. I absolutely love the Canucks. Have owned season tickets basically since I started a career that would allow me the financial freedom to comfortably afford them. But never have I sat down to watch a Canucks game to distract me from my own life. I watch hockey because I love it and not because I don't like other aspects of my life so much so that I need a distraction from them.

I'm not trying to sound smarmy. I genuinely think that if people need sports as a distraction, it might be worthwhile to think about why they feel that way and how to find better ways to cope.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Without a doubt. But the sentiment and organization/group are two different things.

I suppose. I had a look at the BLM web site, nothing there knocked me off my chair. I can certainly understand why black people in the US are still upset over the way things are. 

Just now, Trebreh said:

if the NBA cancels their season, the NHL will follow...

when or if that happens, the last 8 remaining teams should be compensated somehow... Give us a 1st round pick this draft or something like that. 

We each get one band of the cup

• Haha 2

Just now, Trebreh said:

when or if that happens, the last 8 remaining teams should be compensated somehow... Give us a 1st round pick this draft or something like that. 

I can't see that happening. That doesn't help anyone. 

Just now, Trebreh said:

Haha I mean you can only have 31 1st round picks, cause they just become 2nd round picks after. Unless you take from other teams which shouldn’t happen.

Just now, Chicken. said:

I know. the phrase, yes, nothing wrong with it. 

generally it is just taken out of context and/or associated with the BLM organization's views

I just think its an excellent choice of phrase. If it sets your hair on fire to hear it, that might be a sign of something.... 

56 minutes ago, dexterwang said:

Unbelievably disappointed by the leagues decision. 

I have been working with disparate minority communities in both Canada and the States and I loath the black lives matter movement. This garbage movement has set back minorities decades and actually doesn’t give a shat about minority we’ll being. 

Hate police brutality? Let’s talk funding more police training, reforming police unions that protects bad cops, and better recruitment. But nope!!! let’s defund the police, antagonize them and riot. This have hurt and will hurt minority neighborhood. 

Hate disparity? Let’s talk about culture, valuing education, supportive family structure, and improving community safety... but nope!!! According to BLM website, let’s dissolve the nuclear family, kill capitalism and blame everyone else. 

tragedy 

Why do people not understand that defunding the police is meant to help improve the value of education, family, and community. 

Not to equate crime with a sickness/disease, but defunding the police is about moving resources towards these other domains so that otherwise good persons do not become involved in crime. Defunding the police can actually benefit police. For example, police officers are often asked to do mental health checks. In fact, in Vancouver, most police calls for service relate to mental health calls rather than crimes in progress. This is not necessarily what officers signed up for. Effective funding strategies that help prevent these types of incidents benefit both the community and police. It frees officers to respond to/investigate crimes of a more serious nature, which is likely the job they had hoped they'd have in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

All those countries have a fraction of the population of the US so the incidents will be much lower, maybe research how many cops are killed each year because they made the mistake of not using deadly force, it may surprise you.

Its not about the number of incidents being lower, its about the number of violent incidents per 100,000 or the number of guns per capita or the number of murders per capita. There are reasonable data-driven ways to compare disparate populations and demonstrate that there is a significant problem in the US relative to other economically developed countries. 

Edited by steviewonder20
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

If you need sports to be a distraction in your life, maybe you need to think about how to improve the quality of your life so that it is not so dependent on something so external/out of your own control. I absolutely love the Canucks. Have owned season tickets basically since I started a career that would allow me the financial freedom to comfortably afford them. But never have I sat down to watch a Canucks game to distract me from my own life. I watch hockey because I love it and not because I don't like other aspects of my life so much so that I need a distraction from them.

I'm not trying to sound smarmy. I genuinely think that if people need sports as a distraction, it might be worthwhile to think about why they feel that way and how to find better ways to cope.

I watch hockey because I want to watch hockey, if I wanted politics I’d turn on the news. Simple as that, don’t bring politics into sports, just look at this thread.

Whats even worse, I now have to pick up my wife from work and take her out for dinner.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

That's the whole point here. They're depriving the owners, the league and TV networks of revenue. They in turn put pressure on those higher up (politicians) to effect change.

Near as I can tell, all they've been deprived of are the expenses involved in maintaining the bubble for another day.  The games weren't cancelled outright, so the league and networks still get their revenue from the games eventually.

This is a symbolic gesture at best.  And one that doesn't help all that much, IMO.

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

Haha I mean you can only have 31 1st round picks, cause they just become 2nd round picks after. Unless you take from other teams which shouldn’t happen.

redo the the draft lottery again with the last 8 teams included... :bigblush:

• Haha 1