The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings sign Troy Stecher

4 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

How many of the insiders had us going after Miller last summer? I think JB not panicking leads me to believe he has something cooking. 

Tbf, he’s in a bit of a tight spot cap-wise. A lot of people thought he’d wave a magic wand and get all our guys signed, bring in Pietrangelo, and still have money left over for Petey’s and Hughes’ contracts next year. It was always going to be hard.

• Like 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Gotta think long term too.

When Edler is gone that’s gonna be a pretty weak defense.

If we can acquire a young top 4 D man now might be the time to pay up.

If he stay healthy, Eddie's got 2-3 years of good hockey in him.  By that time, they'll have Hughes, OJ, Rafferty, Try (hopefully) hitting their stride.

I agree a top 4 RHD is a need right now.  The question is how he finds it

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Serious question.

Benning refused to give term to Tanev.  Refused to give Stecher a comparable contract as he got.  Both of which were actually affordable.

Is there a potential fish Benning is after right now that justifies losing essentially our entire right side on the back end?  Is he saving cap due to the covid economy in the NHL?  

Something is up and it's got me curious

If you read the trade market - that is where it 'makes sense.'

If they're restricting themselves to UFA signings - they would appear to be setting the deck for a few years into the future....

Either way - it isn't necessarily a 'refusal' to match those contracts - it's adjusting to the playing field. 

There are opportunities to take on players that would 'normally' cost a lot more to acquire via trade (teams are not only cap strapped, but cash strapped, and player contracts previously signed are negatively impacting their trade value - and moveabiltiy - to surprising degrees imo).

So it may seem urgent - but I'm looking at the opposing effect - that there could/should be market opportunities - where there are far more options than UFA market....

I want Foote, for one - and one of these guys....

Timmins

Pesce

Ristolainen

Manson

Severson

Mayfield

Montour

Siegenthaler

Savard

Let's see what they  can manage....

Am I going to miss Tanev, Stecher, Markstrom....hell yes.  I may have matched the two D contracts, as well, and called it a day...with a few of my favorites 'in hand'.

But I've also seen the team make some excellent moves - have gotten what I wanted in past offseasson ie Miller (I wanted Nelson, but relatively same difference) - I wanted Motte - and Beagle.... this year I want Richardson and one or two of the above.  Some of them will take assets, but a few - the ones I've bolded for example, could be bargain takes - and make us considerably tougher in the process.

Until none of that happens, I will be reserving judgement.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Something I don't see people talk about...

How is locker room chemistry going to change with Vets like Markstrom, Stecher & Tanev gone?  

Agree completely.  I'm not worried about the hockey part of it, but there's definitely a loss of leadership.

I think Benning did not enjoy seeing our D get overwhelmed and pushed around in the playoffs. Time to fix it. These players are awesome people and will be missed but there are going to be real bargains available that will make our team better. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Something I don't see people talk about...

How is locker room chemistry going to change with Vets like Markstrom, Stecher & Tanev gone?  

I think Benning is seeing new leadership emerge and it is time to give them the steering wheel. 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If you read the trade market - that is where it 'makes sense.'

If they're restricting themselves to UFA signings - they would appear to be setting the deck for a few years into the future....

Either way - it isn't necessarily a 'refusal' to match those contracts - it's adjusting to the playing field. 

There are opportunities to take on players that would 'normally' cost a lot more to acquire via trade (teams are not only cap strapped, but cash strapped, and player contracts previously signed are negatively impacting their trade value - and moveabiltiy - to surprising degrees imo).

So it may seem urgent - but I'm looking at the opposing effect - that there could/should be market opportunities - where there are far more options than UFA market....

I want Foote, 

We don't see eye to eye sometimes but in this we're in complete agreement.  From his draft to now I think poaching him would be a huge coup.

As for the rest, I also agree.  I think the the sees the economic realities at this stage and doing nothing is as effective for the future as making a splash

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I actually figured he'd get more than that, $2 - 2.5m, on the open market. I liked the kid for his work ethic and tenacity, but his size was a problem in the corners and around the net. Unfortunately his offensive ability didn't compensate for his shortcomings (pun intended).

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Can't say I disagree with the stats. But why no offer for Stecher from the Canucks when all is said and done. 

We’ll see when all’s said and done. Maybe the Canucks are going to find a way to add one of the big name Dmen out there, in which case I’d fully understand letting Stecher walk and using a cheap ELC player or one year <1M free agent for that third pair RHD.

But it no big name is coming, and Benning plans to fill out that D order with our current roster players, emerging prospects, and possibly some cheap pickups via free agency or trade, then I doubt he’ll do better than what we already had at 3RHD in Stecher (either on player performance or contract value).

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Wow. JIM not looking good more and more  

Barrie at 3.75 one year and missed out on stetcher at 1 75 for 2? What the hell is going on here?

Barrie and Stecher aren’t what the Canucks need back there though. The Canucks need big defenceman that win puck battles and can clear the crease. The Canucks were hemmed in their own zone way too much last season

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Wow. JIM not looking good more and more  

Barrie at 3.75 one year and missed out on stetcher at 1 75 for 2? What the hell is going on here?

Barrie on 1st unit PP with McDavid to pad his stats.

Stech at 1.75 only happens because we walked. 

• Cheers 1