The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings sign Troy Stecher

Just now, Trebreh said:

Exactly... I don't know why people are overreacting to losing a 5th/6th defenceman that no teams except the Detroit Red Wings showed interest in lol.

I'm glad JB is treating the off season as a business and removing emotions out of his descions. Some fans want us to improve the defence but don't want change...

I said it before, Rafferty can step in and replace Stech and I feel management feels the same way. Dude was an AllStar in his first AHL year. 

Hard to imagine two ahl Dmen being promoted same time and our d improving but I didn’t see brogan play last year at all.

i think we will be making a signing or a trade 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Time to add some size and grit to the back end. Clearly lacking in the playoffs. Loved Tanev and Stetch but No way I give Tanev that term and Troy can be replaced for the same money by a bigger meaner d man. Size matters 

Exactly.  We got manhandled in the playoffs.  Tanev and Stecher were bouncing around the dzone like ping pong balls with the Vegas forwards going after them every chance they got.  Myers was sorely missed against Vegas.  We need size and strength moving forward.  Tryamkin will be a start but he is a year away.  Juolevi has some size and can plug in on the 3rd pairing.  On the right side we need a couple big dudes who can clear the net and stand up to the big forwards coming after them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Stetcher is a bottom pairing Dman, but he's a good one. Great signing my Detroit, and I have no clue why we didn't match. 

Hughes- Myers

Edler- Benn

Juolevi/Rathbone- Rafferty 

Our D is in shambles now. Benning better have an Ace card up his sleeve or we're not a playoff team. 

I will miss Stecher and it's sad to see him leave the team he loves. 

1.7 is very reasonable and its even more a shame Benning didn't want to pay that. I'm ok with this, but now our right side is even more depleted. If Benning feels Rafferty or Chatfield can slot in (and he does) we still badly need a big body that is good on D on that right side. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see us offer sheet Cernak.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

Two years at 1.7? I have an issue with not matching that. I got to think JB has some other players in mind but sheesh, tough not to worry about the depth now. 

Batter up: Chatfield. ............. on deck: Rafferty

(And Ollie frantically practicing right D exercises)

28 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I’ll miss Troy. Always gave it his all. Pure heart through and through. Unfortunately his size really held him back when it came to the heavy grind in the playoffs. I wish him all the best in Detroit.

100% this. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Hard to imagine two ahl Dmen being promoted same time and our d improving but I didn’t see brogan play last year at all.

i think we will be making a signing or a trade 

What we need to upgrade is a replacement for Tanev. That can come via trade.

OJ and Raff are already better than Benn and Fanta in my eyes cause they could move the puck and make a good first pass as opposed to banging the puck along the glass lol.

Rafferty is like 25 I think so he's not some young rookie. I think he is more advanced in his game as Stecher was when he joined the Canucks. 

He's gonna look good in that red wings jersey.

One of my favourite Canuck players in recent years. His commitment and dedication to our franchise both on and off the ice hasn't and won't ever go unnoticed. Best of luck in Detroit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3