The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby’s new mask

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there's nothing wrong with re-thinking the concept to include a local artist. Honestly I can't see why people would be upset about that. 

Understood, and I agree. My point was it was an innocent fumble, and people need to relax about it. It's great he's getting another one done by a local indigenous artist. 

13 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Understood, and I agree. My point was it was an innocent fumble, and people need to relax about it. It's great he's getting another one done by a local indigenous artist. 

totally agree. Its not that big of a deal, and it appears to have a good ending.

It is pretty funny to watch guys like Squam get hyper-triggered though :lol: he's doing exactly what the podcast gals want him to do, not sure he's figured that one out yet. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Monty said:

So apparently we can only wear things and represent things that are only of our culture? Jeez.

Time for you to get a new mask, Braden. Here, you can have this picture as inspiration:

weiner-roast.jpg.7f4ecb6b52bdfab62bd15654b45535f4.jpg

Roasting weenies? Classic

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Welcome to 2020, where white people on Twitter speak on behalf of minorities and decide what’s racist and what’s not...

Kind of ironic.

Haha I had that same thought...

I can agree with the point-of-view that it’s best for a First Nations artist to do the work.

The outrage though...almost positively started and fuelled by white people...maybe someone should start a new movement calling for “First Nation outrage should be authored by First Nations people”.

Then if it’s legit outrage I’m happy to climb on board.

The twitter chatter I’ve seen from First Nations folk is all ‘yeah, probably better if a First Nations guy does it, but that art on the mask was pretty dope!”

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, nzan said:

Haha I had that same thought...

I can agree with the point-of-view that it’s best for a First Nations artist to do the work.

The outrage though...almost positively started and fuelled by white people...maybe someone should start a new movement calling for “First Nation outrage should be authored by First Nations people”.

Then if it’s legit outrage I’m happy to climb on board.

The twitter chatter I’ve seen from First Nations folk is all ‘yeah, probably better if a First Nations guy does it, but that art on the mask was pretty dope!”

Lol, my wife and I just had a big argument over it.  Leave it to a white woman to educate a Chinese man about oppression and racism in BC.

• Haha 2

This totally goes against any freedom of what us artist can paint, draw or produce. It's called freedom which is not what we have in this world anymore. I can totally see us going towards a George Orwell 1984 situation. I'm not being insensitive towards native culture and am certainly not going to freak out if a native artist paints a historic European sailing ship. Just ludicrous that we've gone so totally overboard and not trying to have anyone disapprove of anything that might not appeal to they're sensibilities. I suppose were now going to burn Robert Bateman's artwork with any tribal work in it because he's not indigenous ? Sad, Sad world they've created.......Sigh,

Edited by Bure2Win
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

So apparently we can only wear things and represent things that are only of our culture? Jeez.

Time for you to get a new mask, Braden. Here, you can have this picture as inspiration:

weiner-roast.jpg.7f4ecb6b52bdfab62bd15654b45535f4.jpg

Is that your picture?

Are you German?

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

Why are First Nations people allowed to rap or play in rock bands? That's cultural appropriation is it not? They should stick to banging drums with sticks. And wear nothing but animal skins. Seriously. I am sick of the PC and cancel culture and Antifa and all the others. They are taking society down a dark dark path of self-censorship, a nightmare combination of 1984 and Brave New World. Forcing the SFU Clansmen to change their name was an absolute disgrace. I mean, it's great that pejorative words like n-gg-r and f-gg-t are no longer acceptable and racist POS are getting called out publicly. But these self-appointed SJWs are nothing more than tools of the Elite to control society and public discourse. Just my 2 cents. 

Oh, the mask is ok. Not great, but not bad.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Why are First Nations people allowed to rap or play in rock bands? That's cultural appropriation is it not? They should stick to banging drums with sticks. And wear nothing but animal skins. Seriously. I am sick of the PC and cancel culture and Antifa and all the others. They are taking society down a dark dark path of self-censorship, a nightmare combination of 1984 and Brave New World. Forcing the SFU Clansmen to change their name was an absolute disgrace. I mean, it's great that pejorative words like n-gg-r and f-gg-t are no longer acceptable and racist POS are getting called out publicly. But these self-appointed SJWs are nothing more than tools of the Elite to control society and public discourse. Just my 2 cents. 

Oh, the mask is ok. Not great, but not bad.

Ah yes I almost forgot about that.... still awaiting the new SFU team name..

A Scottish clan (from Gaelic clann, literally 'children', more broadly 'kindred') is a kinship group among the Scottish people. Clans give a sense of shared identity and descent to members, and in modern times have an official structure recognised by the Court of the Lord Lyon, which regulates Scottish heraldry and coats of arms.

The "Clan" name, shortened from the original "Clansmen," was intended as a nod to the Scottish heritage of fur trader and explorer Simon Fraser, for whom the university is named. The title has often been misinterpreted as a reference to the white supremacist Ku Klux Klan.

"For student athletes and fans, you should be able to represent your school with pride and honour," Othniel Spence, a former captain of the men's basketball team, previously told CBC News. "Instead, the emotions that come [from] the name is more of shame and embarrassment."

Even though the SFU team name was Clan, Spence said, many American athletes and fans heard Klan.

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Ah yes I almost forgot about that.... still awaiting the new SFU team name..

A Scottish clan (from Gaelic clann, literally 'children', more broadly 'kindred') is a kinship group among the Scottish people. Clans give a sense of shared identity and descent to members, and in modern times have an official structure recognised by the Court of the Lord Lyon, which regulates Scottish heraldry and coats of arms.

The "Clan" name, shortened from the original "Clansmen," was intended as a nod to the Scottish heritage of fur trader and explorer Simon Fraser, for whom the university is named. The title has often been misinterpreted as a reference to the white supremacist Ku Klux Klan.

"For student athletes and fans, you should be able to represent your school with pride and honour," Othniel Spence, a former captain of the men's basketball team, previously told CBC News. "Instead, the emotions that come [from] the name is more of shame and embarrassment."

Even though the SFU team name was Clan, Spence said, many American athletes and fans heard Klan.

The onus should be on the Americans to educate themselves then. Maybe they can learn something instead of projecting their own racism onto SFU.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Violator said:

Is that your picture?

Are you German?

sorry sir but i dont know where you get this from?

in germany we dont  cook or roast sausages this way. isnt that marchmallow style?

weiners(wieners) are sausages that get boiled in germany, may some guys use those one for BBQ but not this way. 

do you have problems with germans maybe? prejudices maybe? 

Edited by Bombastik der Teutone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

Pathetic. 

Guy tries to Honor some historical representation of the team and city, and gets roasted for it... Now he's being forced to find a FN artist to do his mask instead of a friend he's used for years. 

I mean I know Vancouver in general is pandering, thin skinned and aggressively SJW, but you cancel-culture crybabies are making the whole fambase look like self righteous, micro-aggression complaining, circle jerking whiners

I strongly agree with you. IMOA it would have caused a stir if his new helmet didn't have any art to tie it to Vancouver and the Indigenous west coast symbols.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. People find a reason to bitch no matter what.

Next time i see an indigenous person wearing a cowboy hat and boots,  listening to country music, i am going to cry fowl. That's our cultural identity around this part of the country. 

Edited by AbrasiveAjax
Oops
  • Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Next time i see an indigenous person wearing a cowboy hat and boots,  listening to country music, i am going to cry fowl. That's our cultural identity around this part of the country. 

I guess you've asked permission from Texas? 

• Haha 1