The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks clearing Cap for Hamonic

If Hamonic wants to come here on a 1 year deal under $2 million I am sure Benning will be all over that.  We only have one veteran RHD right now in Myers, so I highly doubt Green wants to go into the season with only one veteran RHD.  Hamonic would be the perfect partner for Juolevi, a nice veteran presence who can also be a mentor to the kids.  If Juolevi is given a starting position on the 3rd pairing I highly doubt Green will want another rookie in the starting lineup.  Hamonic is an upgrade over Benn so Benn will be the 7th D swing man who can play both sides.  In a 56 game season you don't want to rely on a bunch of kids on the back end to get you to the playoffs, especially with Markstrom gone and we are now relying on Demko to take the next step and become a True #1 goaltender.  It will make it alot easier for Demko if a guy like Hamonic is in the lineup.

I understand people want the kids to come up and play but the NHL is not a developmental league, our goal is to make the playoffs and win.  Rathbone, Rafferty, Chatfield and Brisebois will get their chances through injury and not all of them will play in the NHL next year.  As others have stated, Schmidt and Hamonic are actually upgrades over Tanev and Stecher, so our D will be improved over last year.  With Juolevi he could be a wildcard and be a big improvement over Fatenberg.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Not enamoured with this would rather let the kids play, but with a condensed schedule likely injuries and also sometimes you need to take the kids out if they go through a slump to not completely destroy their confidence at this level.

if we get him for a 1 year or 2 year with no protection at the Seattle draft then I’m not against it 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Hamonic wants to come here on a 1 year deal under $2 million I am sure Benning will be all over that.  We only have one veteran RHD right now in Myers, so I highly doubt Green wants to go into the season with only one veteran RHD.  Hamonic would be the perfect partner for Juolevi, a nice veteran presence who can also be a mentor to the kids.  If Juolevi is given a starting position on the 3rd pairing I highly doubt Green will want another rookie in the starting lineup.  Hamonic is an upgrade over Benn so Benn will be the 7th D swing man who can play both sides.  In a 56 game season you don't want to rely on a bunch of kids on the back end to get you to the playoffs, especially with Markstrom gone and we are now relying on Demko to take the next step and become a True #1 goaltender.  It will make it alot easier for Demko if a guy like Hamonic is in the lineup.

I understand people want the kids to come up and play but the NHL is not a developmental league, our goal is to make the playoffs and win.  Rathbone, Rafferty, Chatfield and Brisebois will get their chances through injury and not all of them will play in the NHL next year.  As others have stated, Schmidt and Hamonic are actually upgrades over Tanev and Stecher, so our D will be improved over last year.  With Juolevi he could be a wildcard and be a big improvement over Fatenberg.  

Great points but one bright I see by playing our young D prospects is that Demko will get alot of action; hopefully, with the increase in shots it will built up his confidence cause the physical attributes, skills and work ethic are already evident.  Plus, with the addition of Holtby and the support of Clarke - will hopefully be enough to make up for any struggles that Demko might go through (?).

I would (also) argue, that the success of this re-vamp roster will also depend alot on how Green & the staff will deploy and strategize to compensate for any issue(s) with the roster.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Great points but one bright I see by playing our young D prospects is that Demko will get alot of action.  Hopefully, with the increase in shot it will built up his confidence cause the physical attributes and skill are already evident.   

I would (also) argue, that the success of this re-vamp roster will also depend alot on how Green & the staff will deploy and strategize to compensate for any issue(s) with the roster.

I agree!  And judging by the Vegas series,  if Green can find a way to get Demko 50-60 shots a night, he should win the Vezina!::D

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Great points but one bright I see by playing our young D prospects is that Demko will get alot of action.  Hopefully, with the increase in shot it will built up his confidence cause the physical attributes and skill are already evident.   

Working wonders in Toronto, with many blaming the Andersen for problems caused by an AHL quality blueline.  I'm sure our media won't be making the same mistake though.

9 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I agree!  And judging by the Vegas series,  if Green can find a way to get Demko 50-60 shots a night, he should win the Vezina!::D

Yeah that Vegas series showed some of the flaws in the roster and coaching stlye in last years team...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Working wonders in Toronto, with many blaming the Andersen for problems caused by an AHL quality blueline.  I'm sure our media won't be making the same mistake though.

The Laffs roster and the Canucks roster are not the same in there makeup - the Laffs (imo) dont play cohesive hockey.   It will be a battle getting into the playoffs but this teams young core seems ready to battle. 

I wonder if the coaching staff can keep up with the developement of our core players ?

Cant wait for hockey season - GCG !

Edited by ShawnAntoski

I support signing Hamonic for one year.

I want to see our young guys play, but I'm just not comfortable with Benn being a permanent fixture in the top 6. We are already going to be relying on one young guy in that group, and if anyone gets injured (and they will), we are then relying on two or more. That's taking a big risk imo in a shortened season where games mean more and we don't have as much leeway to "try out" young talent.

Add to this the fact that we finally have a 2nd guy in Schmidt who can put up points, I would rather he focus on that and somewhat leave defending against top lines up to a guy like Hamonic. He also brings the size and grit we could use more of.

I have been a supporter of bringing Tryamkin in asap as well, and not sure how a Hamonic signing would affect that possibility.

Easy to imagine:

Hughes, Schmidt, Edler, Myers, Hamonic, Tryamkin. That's a big D that can both score, as well as make opposition think twice about crashing our net or talking liberties overall.

Looks a lot harder to play against and more purpose-built than: Hughes, Edler, Myers, Tanev, Stecher, Benn/Fanta.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I support signing Hamonic for one year.

I want to see our young guys play, but I'm just not comfortable with Benn being a permanent fixture in the top 6. We are already going to be relying on one young guy in that group, and if anyone gets injured (and they will), we are then relying on two or more. That's taking a big risk imo in a shortened season where games mean more and we don't have as much leeway to "try out" young talent.

Add to this the fact that we finally have a 2nd guy in Schmidt who can put up points, I would rather he focus on that and somewhat leave defending against top lines up to a guy like Hamonic. He also brings the size and grit we could use more of.

I have been a supporter of bringing Tryamkin in asap as well, and not sure how a Hamonic signing would affect that possibility.

Easy to imagine:

Hughes, Schmidt, Edler, Myers, Hamonic, Tryamkin. That's a big D that can both score, as well as make opposition think twice about crashing our net or talking liberties overall.

Looks a lot harder to play against and more purpose-built than: Hughes, Edler, Myers, Tanev, Stecher, Benn/Fanta.

There is ofcourse a level of risk going with our d prospects due to there inexperience but these prospects (esp Rafferty) seems to be very much aware of the opportunities available in our d core and they are coming in prepared to earn the opportunity.   

The real question will be - Green and if he will be willing to risk his tenure/next contract with unproven rookies.  His past of strategies of protecting a lead going into the third has led overplaying certain players: Edler and depending alot on JM to close the game.  Some team (namely Vegas) seems to had recognize this tendency by our coaching staff to over play certain players & employ a prevent type defensive style in the third to protect 1 point leads to close out games.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Anyone wondering if Benning thought one of two things?

- Ferland would retire.

- Eriksson would be willing to be moved, or retire.

That's the only way I see why he brought Toffoli. Benning doesn't seem to be a straight up rental guy. 

At the time cap was expected to go up 6 million+. Doubt Benning makes that deal otherwise.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Id like to see this as well.  It's a shortened/oddball season anyhow.  

I also think you'd get the wolf pack mentality going as well with these young kids playing for one another/fighting for jobs.

I think having 2+ rookies on D is not a good plan unless it's the end of the season and were out of it.

Winning the "Canadian division" would be so sweet. 

After 5 years of losing finally tasting playoffs again has given me the taste again and anything less would suck.

Hammer fits well for the needs we have and is an upgrade on Stech IMO.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think having 2+ rookies on D is not a good plan unless it's the end of the season and were out of it.

Winning the "Canadian division" would be so sweet. 

After 5 years of losing finally tasting playoffs again has given me the taste again and anything less would suck.

Hammer fits well for the needs we have and is an upgrade on Stech IMO.

Yeah, Im usually fairly conservative when it comes to rookies, but I have this belief that Chatfield and Rafferty are ready to go, or at least it's time to see if they sink or swim.  Juolevi is probably the rookie I'm most unsure of, but I hope he impresses too.  In any event, I like the idea of seeing if these fellas can play and Im excited about the (potential) energy they can inject.  2021-22 will be damn interesting if these guys can be regulars in the line up....

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

From my understanding they are working on a trade for the contracted rights of Mark Donnelly for Travis Hamonic if in fact Vancouver can convince Ryan Reynolds to be the voice for the Calgary C Train and Ferland sits out the season on LTIR.

Calgary is attempting to convince the world they are in fact just eastern vancouver and anyone who says otherwise is fake news and obviously a trudeau lover

Very funny post BTW

52 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

I would sign Jan Rutta, (.8 Mil. )RD, and Cristian Folin (.8 Mil.)RD both 6.3 and can play and can be on the Taxi squad. The complaints about Hamonic is a little slow but offer him 1.5 Mil. There will be a expanded roster so fill it up .

Depends if the expanded roster has additional salary cap allowances or not. If not we may not have the cap space to fill it up 

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Funny because that team beat the defending champs and pretty much destroyed a cocky Vegas team's confidence.

That strategy wasn't our regular strategy. It was utilized because of the super compressed schedule we had versus a much more rested team. There was no doubt Vegas was the better team even prior to all of this, but we decided that we were going to maximize our most rested player up to that point after Market went down and were a beauty Boeser chance from actually taking the series.

The coaching doesn't get enough credit for changing the system on the fly. It's not perfect, but it nearly worked because the players bought into it. Demko played lights out, but we kept them to the perimeter for most of it and worked the counter game. It's not the primary strategy, it was a necessary strategy given the circumstances.

Adding Schmidt will hopefully prevent us from going back to that system again by having another dman that can move the puck out (and hopefully OJ/Rathbone/Rafferty can provide this on the 3rd pairing). Adding Hamonic would allow OJ or Rathbone to do their thing more freely.

this right here. If all you changed in the series was adding Nate to the Canucks they might have actually won that series by having a few more successful zone exits. 

I'm sure what we saw in the playoffs isn't something Green wants to do for an entire season. Thats why he's pushing for more depth on defence (assuming Moj's rumour is correct).