The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks clearing Cap for Hamonic

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

At 30 years old I don't see the fit. Hughes, Edler, Schmidt and Myers are top 4. #5 and #6 can be any combination of Benn and prospects. Younger players who need the TOI to show what they will be capable of in 2-3 years. 

Benn would be pushed down to a spare or taxi squad role (where he probably should be). Hamonic is a pretty clear upgrade and on a short 'show me' deal has basically zero risk. 

We don't 'need' this depth but the first injury to a top 4 guy and it sure will be REALLY nice to have.

Also gives us another vet capable of playing hard minutes/PK.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 3

Just now, aGENT said:

We don't 'need' this depth

Sure we do.

Stecher & Tanev are gone. Rafferty ''could'' step up. Schmidt ''probably'' will play on his offside.  

But signing Hamonic could give us deadly ideal depth & right side / left side balance.

Hughes / Hamonic

Schmidt / Myers

Edler / Rafferty              Juolevi / Benn 7th & 8th man.  If Schmidt is truly as good on right side, OJ slides in over Rafferty. Schmiddy plays wi Huggy Bear.

This would be a great D squad! Lose Tanev, Lose Marky blah, blah, blah all over the joint. Toffoli? Who was always a rental... Sign Hamonic & I would credit Benning for a clear cut improved squad over this off season.

I already credit him for doing what he had to do.  Not overly phased by loss. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Juolevi-Hamonic is likely a far better pairing than Juolevi-Benn. In a short, weird season whoever stays healthiest likely wins too. RHD depth is a nice thing to have. And if we somehow crash and burn he can be flipped for a pick at the TDL if he's on a 1 year deal. 

I don't see the downside. 

Not only is the pairing likely better, or the additional depth a plus, but Hamonic would give Green an additional player to take on some of the heavier responsibilities Tanev took on while here. He'd give us another guy with extensive PK experience as well. Having Hamonic to back up Edler, Myers, and Schmidt means you can pick your spots more with how Hughes is deployed and allows Juolevi to be brought along in a more sheltered role, at least initially. 

The downside to such a move is that Hamonic would block a guy like Rafferty, Chatfield, or Brisebois. Though one could easily argue that if Tryamkin returns to the Canucks for the following season those guys would likely lose that position anyway. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hamonic's been high on my wishlist ever since it became apparent Tanev might not be back.  As long as the cost to move out salary isn't too high, I'm all over this move.  Hamonic is responsible in his own end, can hit, is willing to drop the mitts for a teammate even if he knows he'll get destroyed, does a lot for charities, and is incredibly committed to his family.  He was one of a very small group of Flames I respected and would be a fantastic addition. 

Same here.  Hamonic is a warrior.  He is a very physical player(yep, his hits are clean and hard), who is also great at getting the puck out of the d-zone.  When he drops the mitts he often takes on some pretty tough characters (his fight partners are some of the tougher dudes in the NHL; hence getting sometimes destroyed).  If he only signs for the season (at an affordable rate) he doesn't need to be protected at the ex. draft.  If his fit is good, they may be able to re-sign him later on.  I actually prefer him over Myers.  I would be sooooo thrilled if JB can sign this guy!

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Same here.  Hamonic is a warrior.  He is a very physical player(yep, his hits are clean and hard), who is also great at getting the puck out of the d-zone.  When he drops the mitts he often takes on some pretty tough characters (his fight partners are some of the tougher dudes in the NHL; hence getting sometimes destroyed).  If he only signs for the season (at an affordable rate) he doesn't need to be protected at the ex. draft.  If his fit is good, they may be able to re-sign him later on.  I actually prefer him over Myers.  I would be sooooo thrilled if JB can sign this guy!

He gained a lot of respect in my books when he took on Guddy. He stood up for his team mates and took a beating.  

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, Stelar said:

In a season that is going to not be legit anyways (my opinion only), I would rather they give the ice time to OJ, Rafferty, Chatfield.

Here is the thing Stelar

This is a statement of how Benning really feels about Chatfield, Benn and Rafferty

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

From my understanding they are working on a trade for the contracted rights of Mark Donnelly for Travis Hamonic if in fact Vancouver can convince Ryan Reynolds to be the voice for the Calgary C Train and Ferland sits out the season on LTIR.

Calgary is attempting to convince the world they are in fact just eastern vancouver and anyone who says otherwise is fake news and obviously a trudeau lover

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

He gained a lot of respect in my books when he took on Guddy. He stood up for his team mates and took a beating.  

Have a look at his fight record...Lucic, Kane,  Krieder, Stillman, etc.  He's one brave man.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not only is the pairing likely better, or the additional depth a plus, but Hamonic would give Green an additional player to take on some of the heavier responsibilities Tanev took on while here. He'd give us another guy with extensive PK experience as well. Having Hamonic to back up Edler, Myers, and Schmidt means you can pick your spots more with how Hughes is deployed and allows Juolevi to be brought along in a more sheltered role, at least initially. 

The downside to such a move is that Hamonic would block a guy like Rafferty, Chatfield, or Brisebois. Though one could easily argue that if Tryamkin returns to the Canucks for the following season those guys would likely lose that position anyway. 

I could see Green using some load management this season, with the number of increased back to backs expected to be high. And injury bug too will always happen. 

I like it, but not crushed if it doesn't happen. Seems like a no lose thing.

39 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is the thing Stelar

This is a statement of how Benning really feels about Chatfield, Benn and Rafferty

You could be right. Just seems like a perfect opportunity to see what we have in these players.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sure we do.

Stecher & Tanev are gone. Rafferty ''could'' step up. Schmidt ''probably'' will play on his offside.  

But signing Hamonic could give us deadly ideal depth & right side / left side balance.

Hughes / Hamonic

Schmidt / Myers

Edler / Rafferty              Juolevi / Benn 7th & 8th man.  If Schmidt is truly as good on right side, OJ slides in over Rafferty. Schmiddy plays wi Huggy Bear.

This would be a great D squad! Lose Tanev, Lose Marky blah, blah, blah all over the joint. Toffoli? Who was always a rental... Sign Hamonic & I would credit Benning for a clear cut improved squad over this off season.

I already credit him for doing what he had to do.  Not overly phased by loss. 

To be fair, that was kind of my point with the portions you edited out.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Benn would be pushed down to a spare or taxi squad role (where he probably should be). Hamonic is a pretty clear upgrade and on a short 'show me' deal has basically zero risk. 

We don't 'need' this depth but the first injury to a top 4 guy and it sure will be REALLY nice to have.

Also gives us another vet capable of playing hard minutes/PK.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I could see Green using some load management this season, with the number of increased back to backs expected to be high. And injury bug too will always happen. 

I like it, but not crushed if it doesn't happen. Seems like a no lose thing.

Wouldn't be surprised if you were right, injuries are inevitable for the Canucks. We know that all too well.