The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't see any way under what you've talked about that kids come back for anything more than 1 day per week, maybe splitting the classes into 1/3's and leaving 2 full other days for you guys to manage things online. I can also see a large temporary hiring for online teachers as well, maybe thats where the over 65 can really help out... bit of a technical issue there but maybe the higher risk staff can take over online duties more?

I agree there's solutions to those problems, just not ones that can be found in the next week.

Anyway, it's moot as we're going back, for better or worse.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

she said that a couple of weeks ago. She also said, which is true, that most of our outbreaks were not from foreign travellers, but from our own citizens coming back. Not sure what choice we had RS, should we have left 1 million citizens shut out from coming home? 

I'm not sure there was a good choice but I do think the border should have been closed earlier. Let's be honest it was about appeasing the Americans, so essentially keeping a good relationship was more important than Canadians lives.

Imo given their numbers the border will need to remain closed for some time yet.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Here's another one:

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is urging people to “buy Canadian” as domestic food producers feel the strain of global restrictions put in place to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus."

How about you start first Trudeau - STOP BUYING SAUDI OIL and build the pipelines needed to get the oil out of Alberta instead.

Such a hypocrite.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6943395/justin-trudeau-buy-canadian-coronavirus/

Completely forgot about the Kinder Morgan purchase or did you decide to ignore it?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Here's another one:

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is urging people to “buy Canadian” as domestic food producers feel the strain of global restrictions put in place to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus."

How about you start first Trudeau - STOP BUYING SAUDI OIL and build the pipelines needed to get the oil out of Alberta instead.

Such a hypocrite.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6943395/justin-trudeau-buy-canadian-coronavirus/

Psst.  Wrong thread.

:ph34r:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree there's solutions to those problems, just not ones that can be found in the next week.

Anyway, it's moot as we're going back, for better or worse.

I think the number of children that are going back to school will be small.

The several parents I talked to are choosing not to send their kids to school.  So I estimate maybe 10-20% of kids will go back (at least in my kids school).

Also learned that my kids school was still operating as they were open for front line workers kids.  So they should have a good idea of what's needed and have rules/policies in place for the June 1st opening. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wiseupsucker said:

^ Kinder Morgan is not about buying Canadian. It's to export. Did you forget that?

Nope, but Heretic said "build the pipelines needed to get the oil out of Alberta instead."

So Kinder Morgan pipeline is supposed to get oil out of Alberta is it not?

And yes it is the wrong thread.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Peeps need to stop comparing our situation in BC with other provinces in Canada; or countries around the world.  Our Covid numbers are really low; especially outside the Coastal and Fraser Valley areas.  It's been a couple of weeks since the health experts reduced the restrictions on testing, so anyone in BC that wants one can get one.  I would think that if a citizen of this awesome province was feeling ill, they would most likely go and get tested.  Yet our numbers continue to drop since May 9th under 20 new cases daily; single digits in the pas 3 days.  Only 45 Covid patients in BC hospitals; just 12 in ICU.  These are great numbers!

We know that there are thousands of essential workers children in schools/daycare throughout the province (I read a while back that it was around 5000, but so far I haven't been able to find the article).  I would think that the provincial healthcare team has been studying the data regarding these kiddies and their safety.

In the end, it will be the parents making the decision whether to return their kids to school.  From what I've been hearing, I doubt there will be a huge influx of children heading back to school in June.  I also think that teachers and maintenance workers should have more input in this decision as well.  If staff feel more comfortable with masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, (PPEs) the province should provide these items.

It is looking like this virus will be around for sometime now and there will be peaks and valleys in the future (especially if we return to open boarders and international travel).  We have done an exceptional job flattening the curve here in BC, which gives me hope that we can keep this virus to manageable levels.

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This is so key.  We're not going to eliminate the virus.  We have flattened the curve by the looks of it.  But the curve will spike if we aren't smart about things.  If we take the precautions and get tested if we think we may have it.  Those things will help things from spiking.  It won't stop the spread, but it should keep things at a manageable level.

Once again, if in doubt, get tested!

Thanks guys for the breath of fresh air. No blaming or name calling just common sense responses to this dilemma we all find ourselves in. Thumbs up! :towel:

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So I see Canada's top doctor finally admitted that the government waited too long to close the border.

52 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

And now they admit that home made face masks are better than nothing.

Everyone makes mistakes now and again.  Being accountable is the sign of good leadership. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

With something like this (pandemic), administrators do not have the authority to 'figure out' anything - they wait from direction from their Superindendent, who waits for direction from their board of trustees, who wait for direction from BCPSEA, who waits for direction from the Ministry of Education, who waits on direction from the Chief Medical Officer, who decides.....amiright stawns?  Now, if/when CMO decides that schools can re-open, they might in fact kick down some decision-making to site admin, but that didn't happen until last wed so there really has been very, very little time to decide how to send almost 750 000 students back to school in BC.  

If in fact this is true (only decided since last wed) to reopen schools with little to no previous planning then I agree with some that this is a great concern - too risky, too soon.

Furthermore, if it is true that some of the protocol of how to reopen schools is being left up to school administrators - I have a great concern with that as well because, no disrespect to teachers at all, but former teachers who've become administrators have NO business making a plan to deal with a deadly/contagious disease. 

A new preliminary study shows that wearing masks can greatly reduce the transmission of the virus but our CMO/government won't supply either students or education workers with them so this is also a concern. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/19/coronavirus-wearing-a-mask-can-reduce-transmission-by-75percent-new-study-claims.html

Even my own Dr. office made me wear a mask last week and I was the ONLY one in there since they only allow one patient in the entire office at a time anymore.  That, and both my dr. and their receptionist were also wearing masks. 

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

I think the number of children that are going back to school will be small.

The several parents I talked to are choosing not to send their kids to school.  So I estimate maybe 10-20% of kids will go back (at least in my kids school).

Also learned that my kids school was still operating as they were open for front line workers kids.  So they should have a good idea of what's needed and have rules/policies in place for the June 1st opening. 

I'm in  astaff meeting right now and they have no idea how they are even going to stagger lunch times, how to maintain hallway boundaries etc.  Basically, there's no actual plan for this yet.  All they have in writing is what days kids are coming

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm in  astaff meeting right now and they have no idea how they are even going to stagger lunch times, how to maintain hallway boundaries etc.  Basically, there's no actual plan for this yet.  All they have in writing is what days kids are coming

Let me guess, they are indicating that the site administrator - who is NOT an infectious disease expert - will ultimately decide all the protocols that the school will put in place? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Let me guess, they are indicating that the site administrator - who is NOT an infectious disease expert - will ultimately decide all the protocols that the school will put in place? 

honestly, our admin has little to no information right now about the details.  They won't know who is even coming until next week.  Basically everyone is flying blind

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

actually, they are more or less putting that on to teachers.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, gurn said:

Nope, but Heretic said "build the pipelines needed to get the oil out of Alberta instead."

So Kinder Morgan pipeline is supposed to get oil out of Alberta is it not?

And yes it is the wrong thread.

Ughh. No, he wants Canada to buy Canadian products, he's not talking about selling it to other countries. We have the capacity to sell ourselves our own stuff, oil being a large amount of it. So give some mental gymnastics on how Kinder Morgan does tha

44 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not sure there was a good choice but I do think the border should have been closed earlier. Let's be honest it was about appeasing the Americans, so essentially keeping a good relationship was more important than Canadians lives.

Imo given their numbers the border will need to remain closed for some time yet.

I guess in hindsight we could have unilaterally done that... not sure what the implications would have been. In March the big focus was fear over Chinese flights which turned out to be not the big issue, Euro travel was. 

Why we didn't isolate our seniors better is the question I'd like an answer to, more than the border. 

• Vintage 1