The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

But the hysteria around the virus in this province is nauseating. The virus is here, will continue to come here, and it's going to ramp up when the border does officially open because that will have to happen one day soon. The goal was to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed, and now it appears the goal is to get the number of cases to zero. New Zealand proved that the second you open the border and allow travel the numbers are going to go up. Given our proximity to WA and AB it seems likely to me we could be right back where we were in March. So either you keep everything locked down and hide behind plastic screens and this and that and strangle small businesses to death and wait for a vaccine which many are going to refuse until they get sick, and even then may refuse it still, or you open the doors ultimately, eventually, and let whatever happens happen. 

Vaccines don’t work if you already have the disease.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

Actually, BC is a world example on Covid.

So imagine everyone else is worse.

And there you have it.

It is, I agree. 

However, we will undoubtedly face a second wave. 

I think the point of having our govt answer hard questions about their planning, for it, and trying to mitigate it right now based on this new uptick and those 2 outbreaks, is a legitimate point to make. Also, why not release the name of the restaurant that had an outbreak. It’s a matter of public safety. 

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Vaccines don’t work if you already have the disease.

Having the disease still can mean that you are able to be reinfected. The immunity from what I’ve read/seen isn’t long lasting. Everyone will need to be vaccinated. This will be the new vaccination/booster regimen as it is for measles/mumps/rubella/typhoid/etc for humanity going forward.  

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Researchers at the University of Guelph studying the impact of the COVID-19 caseload on the medical system in Canada have found the number of new cases continue to climb among people under the age of 20 in Ontario.

Ed McBean, a professor and the lead researcher, said as of mid-May, infection curves were flattening for other age groups in the province but numbers of daily new cases for people under 20 were still rising, especially in the Toronto and Peel regions.

"It was very surprising — a significant increase. They are not the biggest caseload at this point, but they are increasing at the highest rate," McBean told CBC News on Monday. "This was very unusual, especially given that daycares and schools are closed."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/increase-new-covid-19-cases-under-20s-ontario-toronto-peel-1.5612526

49 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Researchers at the University of Guelph studying the impact of the COVID-19 caseload on the medical system in Canada have found the number of new cases continue to climb among people under the age of 20 in Ontario.

Ed McBean, a professor and the lead researcher, said as of mid-May, infection curves were flattening for other age groups in the province but numbers of daily new cases for people under 20 were still rising, especially in the Toronto and Peel regions.

"It was very surprising — a significant increase. They are not the biggest caseload at this point, but they are increasing at the highest rate," McBean told CBC News on Monday. "This was very unusual, especially given that daycares and schools are closed."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/increase-new-covid-19-cases-under-20s-ontario-toronto-peel-1.5612526

Anyone who’s  been that age shouldn’t be too surprised... invincibility and all - and I know from my kids that they know it likely won’t kill them so aren’t that concerned about getting it as much as they are about giving it to their parents and grandparents (and being that age might not be too worried about that either).    As soon as they were allowed out plans were made .... can’t really blame them either / as a middle aged person time goes a lot quicker and can imagine how a couple months for kids and teenagers and folks in their early 20’s handled the isolation.   BC hasn’t really had many cases comparatively either.   A drop in the bucket or just a couple weeks compared to other places...wonder how much geography has to do with that. 

Don't know how much anyone can trust the CCP, but China does have issues with their food supply such as hygiene.  take this for what you will.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-seafood-idUSKBN23P20T?utm_source=reddit.com

China finds heavy coronavirus traces in seafood, meat sections of Beijing food market

12 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Don't know how much anyone can trust the CCP, but China does have issues with their food supply such as hygiene.  take this for what you will.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-seafood-idUSKBN23P20T?utm_source=reddit.com

China finds heavy coronavirus traces in seafood, meat sections of Beijing food market

No one can trust the CCP. They’re as devious as it gets. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds about right. I'm feeling more comfortable each passing day. Gotta keep it up though.

My dentist appt. yesterday was quite the experience it felt like I was in a surgical room with all the PPE

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/big-majority-approves-of-b-c-s-plan-to-reopen-economy/ar-BB15GfH9?ocid=msedgntp

Public support for the B.C. government’s plans to reopen the province has grown to 70 per cent, according to a poll conducted for Postmedia News.

The provincewide poll found that 25 per cent are very comfortable and 44 per cent somewhat comfortable with B.C.’s restart plan — an increase from 49 per cent at the end of May.

Big majority approves of B.C.'s plan to reopen economy

40 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Sounds about right. I'm feeling more comfortable each passing day. Gotta keep it up though.

My dentist appt. yesterday was quite the experience it felt like I was in a surgical room with all the PPE

Haha, 

My bro-in-law is a dentist and a few other family members work at the clinic.

I know it's doing what's right but they look ridiculous in their get ups.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Whoa. Whats up with these meat processing plants?

At least 657 people test positive for COVID-19 at German slaughterhouse

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/at-least-657-people-test-positive-for-covid-19-at-german-slaughterhouse-1.4989450

Isn't it enough that they bombed Pearl Harbour?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Petey40 said:

Oh man this is gonna set him off lol

Not going to set me off.

Pretty predictable really when the government sends in school staff  / kids with no PPE during a pandemic to school . 

According to my neighbour  no  one is temperature tested each day.... sick kids come back the next day with no further testing done. 

Interesting enough... a few uni programs are running right now..  they require 10 days off after showing any symptoms... mandatory.

Or a covid result negative... print out.     

BC schools K -12 

sick kid return the next day.  No doctor note.... no testing... No 10 days off. NOTHING

No hand sanitizer to the school.

No masks...

No gloves...  NOTHING Provided by BC Gov.       Yah, there is the usual soap in the bathroom to be used....

So all in all - this was pretty predictable.  At least 85% of parents gr. 6-12.  in BC saw through the NDP's plans and refused to put their kids at risk. 

#BrokenBC

PS - super happy it was not a  kid or kids that are infected so far.  Fingers crossed.  This virus also has very scarey effects on small kids.  Lets all hope that no kids get it in the next week back at school. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not going to set me off.

Pretty predictable really when the government sends in school staff  / kids with no PPE during a pandemic to school .  No one is temperature tested each day.... sick kids come back the next day with no further testing done. 

Interesting enough... a few uni programs are running right now..  they require 10 days off after showing any symptoms... mandatory.

Or a covid result negative... print out.     

FUNNY how BC schools K -12  just let a  sick kid return the next day.  No doctor note.... no testing... No 10 days off. NOTHING>.    Thanks Horgan /

Fleming.  No hand sanitizer to the school. No masks... No gloves...  NOTHING Provided by BC Gov.       Yah, there is the usual soap in the bathroom to be used....

So all in all - this was pretty predictable.  At least 85% of parents gr. 6-12.  in BC saw through the NDP's plans and refused to put their kids at risk. 

#BrokenBC

Q: Was the person who got COVID-19 at independent school a teacher?

A (Dr. Henry): This was an adult involved in several roles including teaching. We knew this was a possibility. Harder for kids to transmit between each other. Doesn't change our assessment of risk which is low.

So it appears it was an adult that had Covid-19 and not kids.

Hmm....

• Cheers 1