The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Why would you not believe the numbers?

He's going to say because not everyone is testing, people who have very mild symptoms are being turned away from hospitals from being tested, people who are recovered are those who have only made it though 14 days but haven't had to be retested, etc.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Well that's exactly it. China tried hard to cover this up until it went worldwide, so I really don't blame Trump or other leaders for not being more prepared initially.

However, when the US started getting cases, Trump dropped the ball BIG TIME. It took him weeks before having any kind of reasonable response or action and that timeframe was critical to try to stop the spread. Now they have almost 200k cases - people are dying, and frontline workers are breaking down.

Oddly, I still don't see these facts changing much in his popularity. He can do no wrong in the eyes of his supporters: All the lying, misogyny and racism didn't change anything for him, and killing Americans and their economy won't either.

TRUMP. F**K YEAH!

Thing is the same thing could be said about a lot of countries. Italy, Spain, France, Iran. I just think the Trump finger pointing about that is misplaced. Don't support him much but I don't think that this is something he can be blamed for a bunch, otherwise I might as well blame a bunch of other countries too for China's misdoings.

Also with China covering it up and not being direct it became harder for countries to predict how it would change things since the only one was watering down the information. Hence why Italy/Spain/France/USA got hit hard. By the time they had to deal with the virus it was already moves ahead of it.

I do think the blame falls more on China. If they didn't cover it up and made it clear that COVID-19 was no joke sanctions would of been placed much earlier and the curve could of been flattened early.

Where Trump messed up is by saying the things he said in order to instill safety and security where he should of simply stated it was ongoing and hard to predict. Initially I think he said those things back in January/December because he actually felt it was nothing due to China's misinformation, after that though honesty would be what was best.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, mayor MCcheese said:

Because literally everywhere else, the growth is exponential, regardless of what measures are taken. Also the testing requirements are far too narrow. Only those with severe breathing problems are tested. Add the fact that several doctors have said they are sending many people home every day that they KNOW have it, but not severe enough for the testing requirements, and you've got massive underreporting here.

This is the exact same approach New York took BTW. Look how well that worked out for them.

Just because it happens in other places doesn't mean it has to happen here.  What about Singapore? Hong Kong? South Korea? Are they all making up numbers too?  Even Washington state's numbers settled down.  The limitations of BC's testing are the same limitations that other places face as well, so we're comparing apples and apples. 

There's a misconception that BC isn't testing enough, yet it turns out that other than Alberta, BC is testing more than the other big provinces of Canada:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6752239/coronavirus-ontario-behind-covid-19-testing/

You'll likely find doctors all over the world saying the same thing as they are in BC.  There simply isn't enough test kits available worldwide to test every single person that shows any symptoms.

The important thing is that the hospitalization and ICU numbers are in control. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So many epidemiologists on here, who knew?

I guess this is the CDC though.

I've taken to disregard the numbers, at least in specific terms. I'd love to see a flattening of the curve, but I don't need to know how many new cases, or what the exact totals are.

I'm practicing social distancing, only leaving the house when necessary and washing my hands every time I think about it. If I develop any symptoms, I'll self isolate.

I don't see how knowing what the exact numbers would do to change any of those behaviors. Let me know when I can go out for a beer, or a round of Whack F*ck. Until then, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

My mistake - allow me to rephrase that: pretty well everyone else. I mean, you're still throwing shade any chance you can to downplay the severity when data and health professionals across the world say differently. I haven't heard any credible sources or voices agreeing with your comparisons and contrarian stance with the pandemic; this gif comes to mind...

Everything Is Fine GIF by memecandy 

There are a few people on this site and their go to stats are only deaths and infections from the most critical spots and nothing more, in other words just the burning house. 

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've taken to disregard the numbers, at least in specific terms. I'd love to see a flattening of the curve, but I don't need to know how many new cases, or what the exact totals are.

I'm practicing social distancing, only leaving the house when necessary and washing my hands every time I think about it. If I develop any symptoms, I'll self isolate.

I don't see how knowing what the exact numbers would do to change any of those behaviors. Let me know when I can go out for a beer, or a round of Whack F*ck. Until then, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Let me know when I no longer need to do this:

tenor.gif.8b0fe01c15d102fded3589f86a43b7ca.gif

Actually right now I wish I had one of these.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Sorry guys...you'll probably have to ban me through all of this.  Losin' it.  Have to go face the boss soon to pick up my paycheque (luckily for him he has to stay 6 feet away or he'd get a superman punch).  

Just trying to hold it all together - laughter always has been a go to for me.  That, music and working out.

Will quit spamming soon (maybe).  I might start checking grammar next.

Stay safe, be well.

Ask your boss if he ever seen Bieksa fight?  Then...BAM!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Why would you not believe the numbers?

I would say that the number of people infected with Covid is about 5 to 10 times the current reported rate. You have to factor in the severe under-reporting from several different countries, as well as the fact that these numbers only account for people tested for Covid. There are many people with Covid right now that are self-isolating, and are not getting the test because the symptoms aren't severe enough.

Edited by Darkstar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I would say that the number of people infected with Covid is about 5 to 10 times the current reported rate. You have to factor in the severe under-reporting from several different countries, as well as the fact that these numbers only account for people tested for Covid. There are many people with Covid right now that are self-isolating, and are not getting the test because the symptoms aren't severe enough.

So are we saying that BC is the only one with the limitations to testing to the point that our numbers are understated compared to all other places on the planet?

8 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

That's why they want people to stay home........theyre up front about who they're testing and say you should assume everyone you see has been exposed.

Edited by stawns

It's happening and this is why I'm scared.https://news.yahoo.com/stabbing-asian-american-2-old-190324496.html

Stabbing of Asian-American 2-Year-Old and Her Family Was a Virus-Fueled Hate Crime: Feds

The vicious stabbing of an Asian-American family, including a 2-year-old girl, at a Sam’s Club in Texas earlier this month has been deemed a hate crime by the feds, as authorities continue to raise alarm bells about a potential surge in racially motivated crimes amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Jose L. Gomez, 19, confessed to authorities that he attempted to murder three Asian-American family members, including the toddler and a 6-year-old, on March 14 at the Midland, Texas store, according to the Midland Police Department. Gomez, who stabbed the individuals and a Sam’s Club employee, is now facing several charges, including three counts of attempted capital murder and one count of aggravated assault. He is being held on several bonds totaling $1 million.

“The suspect indicated that he stabbed the family because he thought the family was Chinese, and infecting people with coronavirus,” according to an FBI analysis report obtained by ABC News.

The Texas incident was used in the report as one example of a recent surge in hate crimes and racially fueled violence targeting Asian-Americans as the coronavirus pandemic continues to sweep the United States. 

According to an arrest affidavit obtained by the Midland Reporter-Telegram, Gomez attempted to kill the Asian-American family of four inside the wholesale store at about 7:30 p.m. When a Sam’s Club employee and another patron intervened, Gomez allegedly stabbed the patron in the leg and fingers with a knife. 

At one point, the customer was able to knock the knife away from Gomez during the struggle before the teenager was finally subdued by Border Patrol Agent Bernie Ramiez, who was off-duty and just leaving the store after shopping for groceries, the affidavit states.

Ramirez later told CBS7 that during the altercation, he saw the store employee had managed to put Gomez in a chokehold after he had stabbed multiple people.

“My initial thought was it was just the shortage of items that they were fighting over,” Ramirez told the local outlet. “So I just started making my way over there to break it up.”

The agent added, “I’ve got close to 19 years in law enforcement. It’s crazy and it’s sad the way certain individuals think, their mindset. It’s a sad deal.”

When authorities arrived at the Sam’s Club, investigators immediately began to question Gomez. The teenager then admitted to trying to kill the family and assaulting the patron with a knife, the affidavit states. 

Ramirez did not immediately respond to The Daily Beast’s request for comment and a spokesperson for Midland Mayor Patrick Payton’s office declined to comment, stating that the case has now been turned over to the FBI. 

According to the intelligence report that was compiled by the FBI’s Houston office and distributed to local law enforcement agencies across the nation, federal officials believe hate crimes will only increase as COVID-19 continues to spread.

“The FBI assesses hate crime incidents against Asian Americans likely will surge across the United States, due to the spread of coronavirus disease... endangering Asian American communities,” the report states. “The FBI makes this assessment based on the assumption that a portion of the US public will associate COVID-19 with China and Asian American populations.”

To date, more than 3,416 people have died and 174,467 individuals have been infected with the virus nationwide—a death toll that has eclipsed China’s official count and put much of the United States on lockdown.

Since then, several political and media commentators, including President Donald Trump, have adopted the practice of calling the pandemic the “China virus” or the “Wuhan virus.”

“It did come from China,” Trump said at a March 19 White House briefing. “It is a very accurate term.”

Many experts and political figures believe that officials using racial terms for the virus has contributed to discrimination against members of the Asian-American community. 

“This is a global emergency that should be met with both urgency and also cultural awareness that COVID-19 is not isolated to a single ethnic population,” Jeffrey Caballero, executive director of the Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations, said in a statement to The Daily Beast. “Xenophobic attacks and discrimination towards Asian American communities are unacceptable and will not make our families safer or healthier.”

California Gov. Gavin Newsom reiterated the FBI’s report findings, stating he has seen a “huge increase” in assaults targeting the Asian-American community in his state. In New York, Attorney General Leticia James launched a hotline for victims of coronavirus-related bias crimes. 

Since the surge, even Trump tried to backtrack on his language, tweeting on March 23, “It is very important that we totally protect our Asian American community in the United States, and all around the world. They are amazing people, and the spreading of the Virus is NOT their fault in any way, shape, or form. They are working closely with us to get rid of it. WE WILL PREVAIL TOGETHER!”

According to one New York City medical social worker, racism is also rampant in the health-care system as Asian-American doctors and nurses struggle to care for patients who don’t want to be touched. 

“I get yelled at down the street coming into work from people in their cars saying all these really nasty things and telling me I should be punished for bringing the virus here,” the social worker told The Daily Beast last week. “Inside the hospital, I have heard from several Asian-American doctors and nurses that some patients don’t want to be treated by them because they think they already have the virus. It’s like we are the virus or something.”

“It’s scary and it’s dangerous. We’re already putting ourselves on the line to help others. Don’t make it harder for us than it is,” she added. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

It's happening and this is why I'm scared.https://news.yahoo.com/stabbing-asian-american-2-old-190324496.html

Stabbing of Asian-American 2-Year-Old and Her Family Was a Virus-Fueled Hate Crime: Feds

Jesus christ. I know some people think that calling it the "China Virus" is accurate... but I really hope they understand that even if they may personally feel that it is accurate, calling it as such is still dangerous because of what it allows idiots like this to feel justified in doing. 

Sorry that this is something you have to deal with. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 4