The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Neighbor last night had a big party.

#idontcaredoyou

Dr. Henry said no gathering of 50 or more people.  Guess what, people will have party of up to 49 people.  BC should have Ontario policy of no more than 5 people can get together.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I got my mask today.

The narrative must be turned toward the “me”.

If I sneeze, the winds I create projectiles it to up to 20 feet and it lasts for hours on our plastic world. Everyone breathing gets infected. 

So if EVERYONE wears a mask, then the risk of spread closes down to almost 0% chance. Then you can open the country and run around.

But if one person not wearing a mask coughs amongst people, the chances drastically goes up for everyone and a new line of Covid-19 develops.

Basically it’s not that “YOU” may be sick.

It’s that “I” may be sick.

If taken that way, you wear a mask in public because you know you’re now going to infect others. 

A new instinctual, cultural thought ought to develop:

”Rumour of pandemic? Wear a mask.”

But western society abandon the stigmas of mask-wearing folks?

We must.

I'm thinking this will be a significant lesson we'll take from this experience.  It's too bad masks are so hard to come by at the moment because now would be great time to put that lesson into use.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Screw that! If we're moving to a protectionist world I want that plant kept on the Island for us hippies rather than on the Mainland for you yuppies! 

Hipppies would screw it up, you knowthey would

• Haha 1

So after some digging, looks like it's true that Canada is the supplier, and only supplier in the world, for the pulp required to make N95 masks!  So Trump, you wanna cut us off from 3M masks?? Sure... We'll order from other countries while cutting you off from the world's only source of the pulp required for N95 masks.  Good luck making your masks without us LMAO

https://www.pqbnews.com/business/nanaimos-harmac-mill-works-to-fill-doubled-pulp-order-for-medical-masks-and-gowns/

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

I got my mask today.

The narrative must be turned toward the “me”.

If I sneeze, the winds I create projectiles “aerosol” up to 20 feet and it lasts for hours on our plastic world. Everyone breathing gets infected and everyone touching things is at risk.

So if EVERYONE wears a mask, then the risk of spread closes down to almost 0% chance. Then you can open the country and run around.

But if one person not wearing a mask coughs amongst people, the chances drastically goes up for everyone and a new line of Covid-19 develops.

Basically it’s not that “YOU” may be sick.

It’s that “I” may be sick.

If taken that way, you wear a mask in public because you know you’re now going to infect others. 

A new instinctual, cultural thought ought to develop:

”Rumour of pandemic? Wear a mask.”

But western society abandon the stigmas of mask-wearing folks?

We must.

there are many things that people can do

to reduce risk to tiny fractions of chance

but we live in a real world

where not all masks are equal

and where the really good masks are in limited supply

these quality and effective masks should be provided to and used in priority by medical people

since they have a much much higher exposure to virus risk

and are critical to our survival

unless you are a medical person fighting this virus

their survival is more important to society

then you or i

and they should have any quality masks we might possess

in the grand scheme of things

mask wearing to decrease virus transmission is actually not that effective

it is not useless, but not a priority

was is more effective is:

if you are sick or have symptoms, stay home (don't wear a mask and go out)

practice distancing in priority to wearing a mask

hand wash regularly and properly

and cover your mouth when coughing

(and how do you know that someone who coughs carelessly over people in a crowd

will be less careless simply because a mask has been placed on their face

maybe they will carelessly install it and it will not really be effective?

not sure why you assume a mask will help those who are careless coughers)

5 hours ago, riffraff said:

How so?

to date it’s been repeat post after post of world death tally watching and graph models that mean nothing.  Score keeping and debating over is JT or trump better at handling this crisis.

at least now there is some diversified real talk that is difficult to discuss which imo is far more worthwhile than the drone to date.

This is my opinion but, if it's a discussion that's just going to stress people out more at this time, it's probably not worth having right now.

What we need to do is reflect on things after the fact. Not now, but later. Right now: focus on fighting this thing. Later on: focus on future prevention.

(EDIT: I was going to add in something else but that would have added a whoooooooole different can of worms potentially lol)

Edited by The Lock

43 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

there are many things that people can do

to reduce risk to tiny fractions of chance

but we live in a real world

where not all masks are equal

and where the really good masks are in limited supply

these quality and effective masks should be provided to and used in priority by medical people

since they have a much much higher exposure to virus risk

and are critical to our survival

unless you are a medical person fighting this virus

their survival is more important to society

then you or i

and they should have any quality masks we might possess

in the grand scheme of things

mask wearing to decrease virus transmission is actually not that effective

it is not useless, but not a priority

was is more effective is:

if you are sick or have symptoms, stay home (don't wear a mask and go out)

practice distancing in priority to wearing a mask

hand wash regularly and properly

and cover your mouth when coughing

(and how do you know that someone who coughs carelessly over people in a crowd

will be less careless simply because a mask has been placed on their face

maybe they will carelessly install it and it will not really be effective?

not sure why you assume a mask will help those who are careless coughers)

There is no correlation between not wearing a mask and killing people and wearing a mask and not killing people. And you’d be a fool and a Communist to believe otherwise.

:rolleyes:

It’s like saying this mask works only at 90% capacity might as well not wear one.

Can’t believe that’s even a debate.

Edited by Me_

2 hours ago, zapperman said:

@riffraff I just want to mention for the record, I appreciate you posting a lot of this information. I’m no contrarian and god knows there are millions more knowledgeable than I am on this subject. But, I always appreciate hearing opinions and facts from all angles. I have taught my kids to question everything and not accept everything you hear or read, unequivocally, no matter the source. I just have to think back to when my kids were born - kid 1, all experts indicated babies must sleep on their stomachs. Kid 2 - no sleeping on stomachs they said, must be on their backs... kid 3 - said experts now say sleeping on the side is the way to go. Things change, data is collected, opinions and methods change. I suspect this will not be that different. We are all learning and the experts are doing what the think is right given the info they have.   I have no doubt we will beat this, and that it is going to be an ever changing road. But we’ll get there. 

he/she is a lot more accurate and closer to the facts than most of the flamers on here.  Most of the nuanced information from leading experts is not making mainstream media nor gov't pressers for obvious reasons.   

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm REALLY fearful that people will grab a low number and run with it.  That it's a bit of a false representation as it's only within a group being tested...and most are not being tested.

So "confirmed cases" only goes as far as a limited number having access to a test.  That the massive number of people walking around with it  is scary and should be considered.

No celebrating or letting up...but a 29 new cases won't deter those who are looking for excuses to let the guard down.

This theory isn't holding water in the US

EUnD5ltWsAUa7Xx.png

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

You pick on a word?  One word?  That’s it?

chill out DBTR.  How many times do I have to say the words:

inconclusive, unsubstantial, incomplete, diluted,

before you see them?

so much more anger in here than I expected.

The word was the entirety of your point. If you want to have discussion, be accurate. You are being critical of data for the very same thing: their accuracy. 

I've been talking about the incompleteness of data before you showed up here. You aren't providing some novel set of information that nobody but you understands/is paying attention to. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

You pick on a word?  One word?  That’s it?

chill out DBTR.  How many times do I have to say the words:

inconclusive, unsubstantial, incomplete, diluted,

before you see them?

so much more anger in here than I expected.

Any time something greater than us like this happens, there is a struggle to understand before facts become facts.

It doesn’t mean everyone else is wrong.

It does mean you might not be right.

Edited by Me_

3 hours ago, DonLever said:

Dr. Henry said no gathering of 50 or more people.  Guess what, people will have party of up to 49 people.  BC should have Ontario policy of no more than 5 people can get together.

What, some doorknob said you could have gatherings ... I don't think so. Go back to Jersey Don.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

So after some digging, looks like it's true that Canada is the supplier, and only supplier in the world, for the pulp required to make N95 masks!  So Trump, you wanna cut us off from 3M masks?? Sure... We'll order from other countries while cutting you off from the world's only source of the pulp required for N95 masks.  Good luck making your masks without us LMAO

https://www.pqbnews.com/business/nanaimos-harmac-mill-works-to-fill-doubled-pulp-order-for-medical-masks-and-gowns/

That's overtly simplistic. So we we just bring the world to a halt in a pissing game?

And on top of not forecasting how in the world 3M couldn't  find more wood to make a mask? It was made in BC, but it's just a mask.

So many people making the leap from everyday worker to politician.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1