The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52420536 

China. The international player we all want to do business with. No matter the cost.

What is China objecting to?

Almost from the start of the pandemic, there have been calls for international investigators to be allowed into China to find out how it all started.

On Thursday Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said that he would push for an investigation at the annual meeting next month of the World Health Assembly, the decision-making body of the World Health Organization (WHO). Australia sits on the executive board of the assembly.

The body already plans to discuss calls for a "lessons learned" review of health emergencies.

But Ms Chen told the BBC her country could not agree to any international investigation.

"The independent inquiry is politically motivated," she said.

"We are fighting the virus at the moment, we are concentrating all our efforts on fighting against the virus. Why talk about an investigation into this? This will divert not only attention, it will divert resources.

"This is a politically motivated initiative, I think no-one can agree on this... It would serve nobody any good."

Ms Chen said there were lots of rumours about the origins of the virus but such misinformation was dangerous, she claimed, and said it was like a political virus and as dangerous as coronavirus itself, if not even more so.

less we forget these 2 poor canadian souls who have been at the mercy of the CCP for 500 days without a consulate visit. While the Huawei executive lives under comfortable house arrest at her mansion. Apples to apples right. Sad.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3081324/coronavirus-justin-trudeau-confirms-china-blocked 

Coronavirus: Justin Trudeau confirms China blocking consular visits to detained Canadians, who have been held for 500 days

19 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Not necessarily here.  Though I've read many comments online blaming anyone who went out over Easter.  Now also saying that movement needs to be restricted further because of some travelling over the Easter weekend.

Cases back down today.

Here's the thing.  People need to get out and do things.  As long as they practise physical distancing and such, people need to stop persecuting them for it.  Long story short, I lost a long time friend because I went for a drive over the Easter weekend.  Didn't leave my car just went for a drive.  Mentioned it on Facebook. I was apparently selfish and risking lives.

There will always be those that are stupid and not practise common sense.  That shouldn't ruin it for the rest that just need to get out.  The real long term damage from COVID-19 will be everyone's mental health.  Had to lay off another person today because they couldn't handle working.  Had a meltdown because some workers weren't 2 meters apart while talking.  Yet still didn't see a problem with ordering skip the dishes and meeting him outside to take his order from the drivers hands.

Strange times.

Yes you need to get out.

Drive? Seems harmless. Touch the gas pump, scratch your ear. Pick up a chocolate bar that someone else has been fondling. Key your code onto the bank machine.

How many are out for a drive? But are really on their way to their buddies for a drink.

Get out sure. But the more restriction, the less spread. The more spread, and its coming? Get ready for tighter clampdowns. Italy, India, Wuhan all had complete shut downs. Lots of places in the states should have. 

Loose restrictions are hard to police. So many restrictions seem unfair. Your drive? Here in Australia. There are roadblocks. Have to prove you are on your way to work. On a direct route to the grocery store, your doctor. Not in the hills. Funny enough, that is where many of the roadblocks are. The people in your car have to have the same address on their drivers license. $1600 fine. Common sense applies, not every incident cops a fine. But they tell u to go home. It seems the same people get warned a lot. They get a fine. Get stopped and warned after a fine? They arrest you. Also funny enough? With tighter restrictions we have less spread. 

Grey area and mixed messages regarding what you can do = groups that decide to protest what they cannot do. 

Stay home. Or go for a walk. A bike ride. It sulks.  

Less people die!

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Standfield shouldn't *BE* a teacher period if she doesn't understand the need for this.  Might be more qualified to work at McDonald's.  

You are undervaluing people that work at mcdonalds. 

Those twenty year olds are working towards something better. 

Standfield? The teacher, life has passed her by and shes rebelling against Father Time. No money. No common sense. Hates her job. Mediocre at it, clearly. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, Japan definately does not seem like a model any country should follow....

Coronavirus: Tokyo hospitals trying to stay ahead

Until recently, Japan had been one of the success stories in controlling the spread of Covid-19.

In February and March, Japan succeeded in suppressing early cluster outbreaks, and in keeping total infections in the hundreds.

But now the capital Tokyo appears to have a developing epidemic with more than 3,500 cases confirmed. Countrywide there are now more than 12,000 cases.

Doctors in Tokyo say a state of emergency, declared two weeks ago, is not slowing the spread of the virus enough to stop new cases overwhelming the hospital system.

Rupert Wingfield-Hayes and the BBC's Tokyo team have been inside one hospital just south of the capital, which has built a makeshift Covid-19 unit in just 10 days, to try to deal with the overflow.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-52400084/coronavirus-tokyo-hospitals-trying-to-stay-ahead

So my post about closing schools applies to data from the US, but probably relevant to Japan.  Schools in Tokyo outside of daycare have been closed since late Feb.   So your post doesn't address my previous post at all or contribute in any way.  Let's be honest, it is the only thing you could come up with as a reply.  The usual peanut gallery likes it though.    

When you get news on Canada do you get it from the BBC as well?  Interesting.  

'Countrywide there are now 12,000 cases'.   The way that is written it implies at this moment - no that is the total number since January 31st.  So a completely meaningless stat.   You didn't know that did you.    12,000 plus total cases over 3 months out of 125,000,000 is that substantial?  

Some hospitals in Tokyo and Osaka are feeling the pinch while others are not.  The reporter in the article visited 'one' as he notes.  

22 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes you need to get out.

Drive? Seems harmless. Touch the gas pump, scratch your ear. Pick up a chocolate bar that someone else has been fondling. Key your code onto the bank machine.

How many are out for a drive? But are really on their way to their buddies for a drink.

Get out sure. But the more restriction, the less spread. The more spread, and its coming? Get ready for tighter clampdowns. Italy, India, Wuhan all had complete shut downs. Lots of places in the states should have. 

Loose restrictions are hard to police. So many restrictions seem unfair. Your drive? Here in Australia. There are roadblocks. Have to prove you are on your way to work. On a direct route to the grocery store, your doctor. Not in the hills. Funny enough, that is where many of the roadblocks are. The people in your car have to have the same address on their drivers license. $1600 fine. Common sense applies, not every incident cops a fine. But they tell u to go home. It seems the same people get warned a lot. They get a fine. Get stopped and warned after a fine? They arrest you. Also funny enough? With tighter restrictions we have less spread. 

Grey area and mixed messages regarding what you can do = groups that decide to protest what they cannot do. 

Stay home. Or go for a walk. A bike ride. It sulks.  

Less people die!

Had beers with 4 of my buddies yesterday after work.....

....by teleconference. No worries about how you're getting home afterward....:)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I am seeing more and more people not taking this pandemic seriously. Yesterday my wife had a hair appointment. I thought they were not allowed to be open. She cancelled thankfully. Today we have several Albertans arriving in our subdivision. (70% are summer homes) and saw several out of province plates at the grocery store and Canadian Tire. Also BC has golf courses open and Alberta does not. I have seen several at my course already. Seemed like they were not too bad until the weather improved. 
Then I looked at the Covid numbers and I can see why the Canadian numbers keep climbing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I am seeing more and more people not taking this pandemic seriously. Yesterday my wife had a hair appointment. I thought they were not allowed to be open. She cancelled thankfully. Today we have several Albertans arriving in our subdivision. (70% are summer homes) and saw several out of province plates at the grocery store and Canadian Tire. Also BC has golf courses open and Alberta does not. I have seen several at my course already. Seemed like they were not too bad until the weather improved. 
Then I looked at the Covid numbers and I can see why the Canadian numbers keep climbing. 

Many are getting their hair cut done underground.  Either in their own homes or in the hairdresser's homes.  Mostly only the most loyal clients.  I cancelled my appt. weeks ago.  Thankfully got my hair cut right before the closures.  Had to cut my own hair the other day.  Anyone that sees my hair would know that I'm complying with the rules::D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Many are getting their hair cut done underground.  Either in their own homes or in the hairdresser's homes.  Mostly only the most loyal clients.  I cancelled my appt. weeks ago.  Thankfully got my hair cut right before the closures.  Had to cut my own hair the other day.  Anyone that sees my hair would know that I'm complying with the rules::D

I needed a haircut just before Spring Break here but my brother was in town so I used that time to spend it with him rather than get it cut.  That was about 6 weeks ago...and I normally get my hair cut about every 6 weeks.  Gonna have a nice hockey mullet soon :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Many districts that were heavily recruiting foreign fee paying students ( 15,000.00. per year ) will see significant drops in funding next year.

Coquitlam comes to mind.   These districts will likey be laying off teachers this summer.  Rumor is that these districts will be laying of 50+ teachers due to no foreign students in Sept.  Maybe the person was refering to that.   Either way.... pretty crappy to complain about losing a few paychecks at a time where people are losing loved ones.

CDN / BC gov. has funds available for laid off workers ... i wonder how that poster does not realize this.

I would expect langley to be hit hard as well one highschool is almost all foreign students.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Had beers with 4 of my buddies yesterday after work.....

....by teleconference. No worries about how you're getting home afterward....:)

Psst.

I'm getting drunk right now.  Stupid micro-managers.

<_<

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Lots of panic in this forum.  For those that are 70 years old and older, I understand the stress.

Things in BC are going very well. No need to panic.

Still don't care about those under seventy that die, huh?

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

42 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm guessing maybe Orange man might not have a future as a comedian as people just didn't get he was merely joking...

Don’t like Trump but those people are the reason they had to put don’t drink labels on poison.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, samurai said:

So my post about closing schools applies to data from the US, but probably relevant to Japan.  Schools in Tokyo outside of daycare have been closed since late Feb.   So your post doesn't address my previous post at all or contribute in any way.  Let's be honest, it is the only thing you could come up with as a reply.  The usual peanut gallery likes it though.    

When you get news on Canada do you get it from the BBC as well?  Interesting.  

'Countrywide there are now 12,000 cases'.   The way that is written it implies at this moment - no that is the total number since January 31st.  So a completely meaningless stat.   You didn't know that did you.    12,000 plus total cases over 3 months out of 125,000,000 is that substantial?  

Some hospitals in Tokyo and Osaka are feeling the pinch while others are not.  The reporter in the article visited 'one' as he notes.  

For 12, 000 Japenese families that have someone infected.... yes i think they would think that is a substanial number.    USA testing suggests 40 times rate.  So that would be almost half a million people in Japan contracted the virus.   YES that is concerning and especially since number in Japan seem to be increasing more recently.

We need to protect the lives of our seniors.  People like you that discount the dangers of this virus  are not contributing to the protection of our seniors.

Edited by kingofsurrey