The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, runtzguy said:

Skill wise, he is the best to have ever played (so far). But unless he wins some cups then he won't be among the greatest like Crosby, Gretzky or Lemieux.

I dunno .... Mario was unstoppable.  I think he and 99 had more skill and saw the ice at another level.  What mcdavid has is crazy speed and the ability to operate at warp speed.  I don’t think he makes the crazy passes and wizard like maneuvers Gretzky and Lemieux made. 

McD had an easy night tonight.  He is probably one of the best in the world ( I like MAcKinnon too) but the Canucks also made it easy for him tonight.  

• Vintage 1

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

I hate to say this but LE21 might be an upgrade over Jake atm. Louie could of helped on the pk at the very least. 

I would argue Justin Bailey would have brought more in a game like that.

Team definitely needed more speed and physicality.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

So they don't count then.  

Some are McDavid homers.  I'm not one of them, that's all.  He's only as great as his team's results.   But not into arguing...hockey's back and it's not why I do it.

Most overrated player in the league, being compared to the GOATS in this thread.  Crosby, Ovechkin, MacKinnon, Kucherov, and Hedman are all better than a crybaby who's a born loser.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I’m not fine with it.

But i feel like green is giving him false hope that he can be a top 6 player.

His role needs to be a bottom 6 energy guy. As soon as he accepts that role and stops thinking he’s a skilled offensive player, the sooner he can simplify his game and play effectively. Or he doesn’t play.

Well everyone's hoped that at some point.

And I don't agree that Green is giving false hope. Through training camp Virtanen never skated in the top 6 until Miller couldn't play. Its just a matter of him being the only option. Then tonight he no shows & Green is already looking for other options.

If anything its Benning & management that's holding onto to the false hope. They were the ones who looked past other options & brought him back. 

Just now, Darius said:

I dunno .... Mario was unstoppable.  I think he and 99 had more skill and saw the ice at another level.  What mcdavid has is crazy speed and the ability to operate at warp speed.  I don’t think he makes the crazy passes and wizard like maneuvers Gretzky and Lemieux made. 

McD had an easy night tonight.  He is probably one of the best in the world ( I like MAcKinnon too) but the Canucks also made it easy for him tonight.  

Dude, i was the biggest 99 and 66 fan, but no one has ever even come close to the skill and athletism as 97.   The closest player today is Mckinnon but even hed say 97 is a level on his own

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If anything its Benning & management that's holding onto to the false hope. They were the ones who looked past other options & brought him back.

He was brought back as a stopgap if none of the youth was ready for a top six role, who can still fill in if necessary.  I'd still rather keeping him around if it keeps our $6 million floating piece of trash in the press box where he belongs.

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Dude, i was the biggest 99 and 66 fan, but no one has ever even come close to the skill and athletism as 97.   The closest player today is Mckinnon but even hed say 97 is a level on his own

If he played now, he would not be that much better then any current super star.. 

• Haha 1

If we can package Jake++ for a top 6 forward, we need to do it.  If Jake is gonna become that dominant powerforward, it isn't gonna happen with the Canucks.  It has been way too many years now and his effort level is still terrible.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

We absolutely feasted on teams like Detroit. Couldn't generate anything against teams that understood defense. Been that way ever since Newell has coached. He's the perfect PP coach against trash teams. 

a goal is a goal is a goal, those goals helped us get to the playoffs. the powerplay seems off because were missing our top PP scorer, and we focused on 5v5 play

• Like 1

Just now, MikeyD said:

If you did I think you'd understand the argument of using Mac in a bigger role. He can absolutely be a skill player. The guy has amazing finish. He's just never been put into a position to play that way. 

AHL vs NHL though.

Lots of players produce in the AHL and struggle in the NHL. I haven’t seen anything in his game that screams top 6 yet.

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

McDiver isn't even in the top five of today's players.