The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sam Bennett requests trade

The Flames deny a trade request has been made. 

In Montreal Bergevin says Mete has not requested a trade.  The common thread? Both players are rep’d by Darrin Ferris. 

I’m thinking the agent is playing games here and neither GM is having it 

2 hours ago, gurn said:

30 teams would not qualify a 20 goal a season pace player?

Who ever Johnston's source is, the guy must be a chronic weed smoker.

Well, 30 teams didn't claim a 29-goal scorer in Tyler Johnson on waivers so there's more for a team to consider than a player's goal total.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Well, 30 teams didn't claim a 29-goal scorer in Tyler Johnson on waivers so there's more for a team to consider than a player's goal total.

claiming a player is different than qualifying a player.

Also was that when Johnson was/is signed to a $5 mill a year cap hit?

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

That's what you and many other CDC'ers seem to think, as I grudgingly admit to once doing as well. But according to Patrick Johnston in today's Province, the rest of the league may not value Jake quite as highly:

"But are teams interested in Virtanen anymore? One source doesn’t think so: “30 teams would have passed on qualifying him.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-skate-not-at-all-like-a-hog-on-ice

Johnston is making a fool of himself.  

Let me flush out his "source" for you....

image.jpeg.db0c894bfed7dcea6d5343676cc3f9fc.jpeg

That is an idiotic, extremely pretentious claim.

One source spoke for all 30 NHL clubs. 

Only amateurs, who are desperate for attention -  like you have at the Province or Canucksmarmies - would publish such bottomfeeder material.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Virtanen for Bennett makes too much sense considering the ages, draft positions, cap hits, qualifying offers, etc as well as the fact they’re both in Canada and wouldn’t have to quarantine. 

I see Flames fans on CP talking about guys like Mete or Dunn but I think the cap hit/QO makes those trades unpalatable for the other teams. 

typical Lames fans.  Giordano, Hanifin and Valimaki - and they'd want Mete.

True, Montreal doesn't have the cap space  (nor need) for Bennet

The guy is only 24?  Seems like he's been around (and disappointed) forever.  Guy has a career best 36 pts (his rookie year) and wants to be in the top 6???  Ok he might have had a good playoff performance, in a crazy, shortened/split season with a new playoff format, but that doesn't necessarily earn him top 6 minutes.  Does the guy want to win and boost his ego.

Pass please.

47 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

The guy is only 24?  Seems like he's been around (and disappointed) forever.  Guy has a career best 36 pts (his rookie year) and wants to be in the top 6???  Ok he might have had a good playoff performance, in a crazy, shortened/split season with a new playoff format, but that doesn't necessarily earn him top 6 minutes.  Does the guy want to win and boost his ego.

Pass please.

In fairness to the present Sam Bennett - he is getting a team low 25.9% ozone starts (but he's also playing with a pretty solid Backlund).

I'd pass on the Virtanen proposals - but I would take him otherwise...

To Calgary

Roussel

To Van

Bennet

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Flames are fuming about Bennett report

Eric Francis of Sportsnet: There are several sources inside the Calgary Flames management team who were blindsided by Elliotte Friedman’s report on Saturday night’s Headlines that forward Sam Bennett would like a “change of scenery” according to his agent Darren Ferris.

They aren’t questioning Friedman’s reporting but how an agent would go about it like this, that it wasn’t properly communicated with them.

It’s understandable that Bennett isn’t happy being on the third and fourth lines, and seeing others get a top-six shot. He’s never spoken with coach Geoff Ward nor did he/his camp go to GM Brad Treliving.

The Flames are not happy as it’s an unnecessary distraction and the timing isn’t good for them.

Ferris hasn’t done Bennett any favors by going public with this, this way. It will now be harder for the Flames to trade him or possibly even keep him in the lineup.

Pat Steinberg of the Flames Nation: It’s not known when Sam Bennett actually made his trade request. Was it recently or was it in the offseason?

Bennett doesn’t seem to be the type of guy who would let it become a problem for Flames GM Brad Treliving.

Now that the request has been made public, it may give Treliving more incentive to speed up the process a bit. The teams’ offseason depth signings haven’t given the Flames the boost they were hoping for so far.

Bennett should be in a top-nine, so if they move him, they could look for another ‘top-nine’ back, maybe on that could use a change of scenery as well. Vancouver Canucks Jake Virtanen or Edmonton Oilers Jesse Puljujarvi have been two names brought up.

If the Flames are looking to free up his $2.55 million in salary cap space, they could look to get a draft pick or prospect.

Bennett will be an RFA after the season.

Instead of the swap between EDM & CGY I would like us to jump in and make the following deal happen.

To Edmonton: Virtanen + 3 round pick

To Vancouver: Puljujärvi

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:
Flames are fuming about Bennett report

Eric Francis of Sportsnet: There are several sources inside the Calgary Flames management team who were blindsided by Elliotte Friedman’s report on Saturday night’s Headlines that forward Sam Bennett would like a “change of scenery” according to his agent Darren Ferris.

They aren’t questioning Friedman’s reporting but how an agent would go about it like this, that it wasn’t properly communicated with them.

It’s understandable that Bennett isn’t happy being on the third and fourth lines, and seeing others get a top-six shot. He’s never spoken with coach Geoff Ward nor did he/his camp go to GM Brad Treliving.

The Flames are not happy as it’s an unnecessary distraction and the timing isn’t good for them.

Ferris hasn’t done Bennett any favors by going public with this, this way. It will now be harder for the Flames to trade him or possibly even keep him in the lineup.

Pat Steinberg of the Flames Nation: It’s not known when Sam Bennett actually made his trade request. Was it recently or was it in the offseason?

Bennett doesn’t seem to be the type of guy who would let it become a problem for Flames GM Brad Treliving.

Now that the request has been made public, it may give Treliving more incentive to speed up the process a bit. The teams’ offseason depth signings haven’t given the Flames the boost they were hoping for so far.

Bennett should be in a top-nine, so if they move him, they could look for another ‘top-nine’ back, maybe on that could use a change of scenery as well. Vancouver Canucks Jake Virtanen or Edmonton Oilers Jesse Puljujarvi have been two names brought up.

If the Flames are looking to free up his $2.55 million in salary cap space, they could look to get a draft pick or prospect.

Bennett will be an RFA after the season.

Instead of the swap between EDM & CGY I would like us to jump in and make the following deal happen.

To Edmonton: Virtanen + 3 round pick

To Vancouver: Puljujärvi

I don't see why the Canucks would do anything to help either the Oilers or the Flames. 

It will be a bit of a shock to some, but outside of press clippings, comments by hockey insiders and scouts and so on regarding the bright futures for Bennett and Puijuarvi, Virtanen has shown himself to be the better player of the three (imo at least). Even if Virtanen hasn't shown all of what has been expected of him from when he was drafted by the Canucks, I still see more of an upward trend in his game while the other two are, at best, severely stalled.

If anything, still having Virtanen with the Canucks when the expansion draft comes along leaves the possibility that, were he unprotected, he might be selected by Seattle and therefore the chance that a different player would be left on the Canucks roster. Were he moved for either of the two Alberta cast offs, I suggest that they would be passed upon in favour of drafting another player currently on the roster who was left unprotected.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I don't see why the Canucks would do anything to help either the Oilers or the Flames. 

It will be a bit of a shock to some, but outside of press clippings, comments by hockey insiders and scouts and so on regarding the bright futures for Bennett and Puijuarvi, Virtanen has shown himself to be the better player of the three (imo at least). Even if Virtanen hasn't shown all of what has been expected of him from when he was drafted by the Canucks, I still see more of an upward trend in his game while the other two are, at best, severely stalled.

If anything, still having Virtanen with the Canucks when the expansion draft comes along leaves the possibility that, were he unprotected, he might be selected by Seattle and therefore the chance that a different player would be left on the Canucks roster. Were he moved for either of the two Alberta cast offs, I suggest that they would be passed upon in favour of drafting another player currently on the roster who was left unprotected.

regards,  G.

Virt to cal, Bennett to Ed, puijuarvi to van - the obligatory three way trade. However that’s a stupid trade and no one in their right mind would do it 

As per Elliotte Friedman in his 31 Thoughts:

4. Sam Bennett spent some time with Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan during the third period of Calgary’s 4–3 shootout win over Winnipeg on Monday night. Hours before that game, coach Geoff Ward detailed his conversations with the player.

“At the beginning of the season, and what a lot of people don’t know, I basically gave Sam the choice of where he wanted to play. He wanted to start at centre and so we started him at centre, and he came in after a couple of games and said, ‘Hey, I think I may want to take the other option,’ which was playing on the wing. We gave him a choice to play in two different positions at the start of the year. So before anybody jumps all over that as to reasons why he may be unhappy, let’s just quell that right now.”

Expect the Flames to proceed cautiously, for a few reasons. One: Bennett was GM Brad Treliving’s first-ever draft pick, so there’s a lot invested with him. Second: Bennett’s production increases in the playoffs, and he does not shy away from the kind of hockey that wins in the post-season. The Flames know this and value it. Third: There’ve been previous occasions where there’s been frustration between player and organization. So, to the Flames, there’s a question about whether this too shall pass. My sense is there’s greater resolve this time, although time will tell.

While Calgary’s tested his value, they haven’t made the move. Both the Flames and the Canadiens (with Mete) will be determined to show they set the agenda, not anyone else.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-sabres-islanders-postponement-cause-concern/

• Cheers 1

On 2/1/2021 at 12:48 PM, timberz21 said:

Pass please.

I dunno.  It earned Demko the starters role.  Hahaha

He was one of the only flames bright spots last playoffs.  They should at least give him a fair shot.   

Having said that,  F that kid and the whole team.  

• Cheers 1

On 01/02/2021 at 12:48 PM, timberz21 said:

Pass please.

He is a good player. Tough as nails throws mits when time.. performs in playoffs.. imagine him as our 3C.. immediate upgrade...

Changes are needed on this team...JB needs to gonhard after Bennett and DeAngelo. . Get atleast one of those trades done. We need toughness and attitude on this team.. imho

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

He is a good player. Tough as nails throws mits when time.. performs in playoffs.. imagine him as our 3C.. immediate upgrade...

Changes are needed on this team...JB needs to gonhard after Bennett and DeAngelo. . Get atleast one of those trades done. We need toughness and attitude on this team.. imho

Pretty sure they said the same thing just before signing Messier...

Anyways, Calgary is not going to let Bennett go for cheap and you can make sure if they trade him to Vancouver or Edmonton, the return needs to be over the top crazy.  No thanks.

As for DeAngelo, he's been a cancer everywhere he played, dating back to junior iirc.  There might be a honeymoon phase early on, but just a matter of time before he picks a fight with Horvat, EP or Hughes.  Hard pass, not even an option IMO.

• Vintage 1

Interesting times out west with Jake, Bennett, Poolparty all misses as high picks. Still think some kind of trade, maybe a three way, is the way to go. If it does I hope we end up with Bennett. Then maybe flip Gaudette for a stay at home dman. 

The only reason why I would not be in favor of a Bennett-Virtanen trade is that it's interdivisional not only for this season but next.  It otherwise might not be a bad trade for either team.  As annoying as Bennett's rookie playoffs were for a Canucks fan, he's been at least a decent role player in the league and is at this point a more reliable and versatile player than Virtanen (maybe only slightly though...).  If Virtanen ever puts it all together, then he could be a superior player to Bennett unless Bennett also puts it altogether.

If Bennett-Virtanen happens, then that would mean that 4/18 of Canucks skaters who started the 2019/2020 season (Domingue excluded) would be with the Flames in 2020/2021.  Crazy.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan