The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

More hot garbage. Turnover central...and way to much attempted pond hockey play from the lotto line...  entire team needs to simplify, coach needs to look at tape and make adjustments to support the breakout and beat the forecheck...  which hasn’t been all that outstanding... Canucks beating themselves...  and being out coached hard. 

Edited by 70seven

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

its frustrating going over to the flames board and reading how Chris Tanev has been their best D man.

Losing Marky doesnt bother me too much.  I think Demko is a better goalie than Markstrom was at his age.

Losing Toffoli doesnt bother me a tonne either - this team can score and it seems that Toffoli only scores against the Canucks anyways ( out of his 7 goals 6 are against us)

Losing Tanev does bother me though.  He was a warrior for the team.  He tied the current group to the last group that took us to the cup.  Gutted it during the ugly years (think Megna/Sbisa/Gagner/Pouliot etc) when his body was used as a human pin cushion for shots against, and was still diving in front of pucks in the passive D system that the numbnuts D coach is pushing here.

He stabilized QH as he was let loose as a rookie, and was loved in the dressing room.  Adding Schmidt to a core that included Tanev would have been a net positive.

He should have retired here. 

Considering how hard it is to find a Tanev type defenceman via trade/UFA, JB screwed that one up. 

And I'm a big JB supporter, I feel thankful that he drafted EP, QH, BB, developed Bo, trade for Miler, etc etc. But he dropped the ball on losing all of our UFAs, especially Tanev.

I would have gone as far as to trade Virtanen and/or Gaudette along with a salary dump like Roussel to make room for Tanev. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Whining about ownership and GMing after losses is so old. Yet coaching is not as often brought up. There's a lovefest going on with Green/coaching staff when the accountability isn't spread so evenly.

Green (and his assistants) has always been inconsistent with his team's performances, regardless of his roster. When does his role/blame come in? There's ALWAYS an excuse about how he's "doing the best he can".

He literally just said today that he doesn't care about shot totals. Where's the wisdom coming from? Look at these blowout losses. I said in the Ottawa game that if you allow that many shots, some of them are just bound to go in. The danger of a shot is that it can just go in. Tanev freaking scored a goal from his side of ice tonight.

So what is the deal here? Is it only the coaching and management when we lose? Is it only the players when we win? Cause I’m confused. If you ask me, you can’t coach a player to not throw a puck up ice tape to tape to the other team. “Hey everyone, listen up, when you have the puck, keep it and go to the other of the ice. Only pass it to the guys who are wearing the same stuff as you” /coaching. 

Thanks coach Green. 

edit: You’re welcome Jake. 

Edited by Convincing John

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

Three point night for Jets / Flames, and we’re roughly a quarter through this season already. 
We might be missing the post season this year boys and girls. Very hard to say right now.

We will know where we stand after we play the Leafs.

If Habs are the only team that give us the trouble, then I still think we have a decent chance.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Have you not watched the games this year? Their defensive system is awful and is no where near a playoff defense. You can't be giving close to 40 shots a game and expect to win. I hate when people bring up people jumping off the bandwagon when they lose. People are concerned for their overall play this year. At times uninspired. The top line has been MIA, disinterested and being out scored by every other team. So don't come on here and say fans are jumping off the bandwagon. They are concerned with the overall play of the team in most of the games this year and have a right to complain.

Ask yourself this. Is Green motivating these guys and getting the best out of them or are they higher status than he is? Can he handle Miller, a guy with a strong personality who has played on a top team with a great coach?  Can he coach this team to success? Or do we need a coach who has NHL credentials to mold the talent on this team into a contender?

I think people who blindly support the coach should ask these questions.  I am willing to be shown that I am wrong but I have to ask what is wrong with this team right now?  Is Green the right guy?

And an even bigger question.  If we change the coach what risk are we really taking?  That is the real question.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Considering how hard it is to find a Tanev type defenceman via trade/UFA, JB screwed that one up. 

And I'm a big JB supporter, I feel thankful that he drafted EP, QH, BB, developed Bo, trade for Miler, etc etc. But he dropped the ball on losing all of our UFAs, especially Tanev.

I would have gone as far as to trade Virtanen and/or Gaudette along with a salary dump like Roussel to make room for Tanev. 

He better be on the phone tonight cause this team needs some serious help on D. It’s bad. 

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Perhaps he feels our window is beyond Tanev's useful tenure. This was never to be a contending year. It's about development for a few years from now--even next year if we are able to swing some deals at the deadline or in the off season. Just hope the coach has not lost the room. if he has, it's time for JB's mulligan.

• Cheers 1