The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a President of Hockey Ops

Rate this topic

DSVII

Was listening to this segment from 650 and honestly think this has been a problem going back to Gillis, but regardless of what we feel about management, it's impossible to really have an accurate picture of how much of the moves were the GM or ownership's meddling. Say what you will about Trevor, but he at least acted as a shield between ownership and operations and provided some structure to how things are run.

Whatever changes need to be done, at a bare minimum, we need to bring in an experienced President of Hockey Ops that can insulate the team from the owner and not have Benning assume dual roles of Prez/GM. And if we clean house, we need to do what Pittsburgh has done and hire a GM and President at once.

We may not have Eugene Melnyk level ownership, and frankly, that is a low bar, but we are subtly inching closer to Jerry Jones level of ownership here if any of the reports over the last few years is accurate about Aquilini influencing the Virtanen pick, the Eriksson/Myers signing, and denying trades.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I'm sure there will be hoards of candidates lined up on the sidewalk outside Roger's after what happened with Linden. 

You're telling me no one wants a high paying 6 figure job? All because they could get criticized?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You're telling me no one wants a high paying 6 figure job? All because they could get criticized?

Leaders can deal with criticism. Real leaders embrace even if its criticism, because they view it as an opportunity to grow. The fact that Aquillini decided not to fill this position is telling you something.... . Did you want to save money Francesco? Not filling this void is only one reason Canucks are in the situation they face currently. Other well managed teams are way better staffed in this regard.

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Anybody respectable? I doubt it. Pure speculation, but it seems as if Benning has the Aquilini's trust and they believe in his vision. 

I would agree.  Burke and Nonis worked very well together.  We need Benning to focus on drafting and player management and we need a President who can oversee everything and approve of all trades.  I would be okay with this.  This is why they brought in Linden, but the problem with Linden was he had no experience.  Benning did fine when he was in Boston and wasn't the main guy.  We should have the same setup here as well.  We don't need a GM per se, we need a guy who can oversee the entire operations and perhaps get Aquilini away from being involved in the day to day decisions of the club.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Luongo

Hell no!  Unless he gives back the cap recapture money or un-retires and goes to LTIR!  Premadonna... The best goalie we've ever had but excluding the Dallas series, he was average during post season.  When it mattered most he crumbled... beat out by Tim Thomas... Nuff said.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Too bad that Brian Burke took the Pittsburgh job

I would prefer a veteran President ,over a popular ex player, with no experience (been there, done that)

Basically, an experienced guy (that doesnt constantly meddle), but can intervene when the ship veers off course.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think we all have the feeling that both Jim and the coaching are lame ducks right now. I also think that the team feels the same way. 

Anyone who sits with UFA status at year end may also be gone. Ownership may have decided that this is the perfect year for a reset. Lock down the young core and had it off to new management. Hopefully they allow Jim to accumulate a few assets and keep their picks. 

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Absolutely. Benning is a bit slow-minded and definitely cannot handle all these responsibilities. Hard to ask the ownership for $ for that position when (a) you were the reason the previous President left and (b) your team is up against the cap because of terrible signings. 

no gm is ASKING his owner for an immediate superior to breathe down his neck.