The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I believe it's time to start exploring the trade market ladies and gents. 

Unfortunately our best player to trade is injured till end of the season. 

I’m not so sure anyone else not part of this core is attractive enough to get half decent value.

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Unfortunately our best player to trade is injured till end of the season. 

I’m not so sure anyone else not part of this core is attractive enough to get half decent value.

Sutter at 50% would likely generate some interest.  He's overpriced but still more than serviceable to a team in need of depth down the middle.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Sutter at 50% would likely generate some interest.  He's overpriced but still more than serviceable to a team in need of depth down the middle.

I suppose. It would be nice if we could land a second pick if we retained salary.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Honestly though, we have absolutely nothing to offer. 

I was hoping that Calgary wouldn’t suck so much, so that the top-4 Canadian teams would want to add to avoid losing their spot. Oh well... There are still some pieces that should generate interest:

Pearson - injured, maybe someone offers a conditional pick based on games played?

Sutter - with 50% retained, should land a 3rd rounder.

Hamonic - depends on if he’ll waive his NMC, think Edmonton or Winnipeg would trade a 2nd/3rd for him if he will.

Benn - decent depth defender, should land a 4th/5th.

Motte - would be lots of interest, but I’d only move him if we got offered what SJ got for Goodrow (ie - 1st rounder for Motte + 3rd).

This might be a good year to load up on mid-to-late picks. With the lack of scoring that has gone on, there is more chance of talented players slipping through the top rounds. Picks are more like “lottery tickets” this year.

4 hours ago, Russ said:

Not mathemeatically eliminated!  Jim won't trade till then!

Jim wont trade until its too late then he will say "he ran out of time". He is the worst GM in terms of sitting on his hands and doing nothing til its too late. We will have Canucks UFA players walk again for nothing. 

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I was hoping that Calgary wouldn’t suck so much, so that the top-4 Canadian teams would want to add to avoid losing their spot. Oh well... There are still some pieces that should generate interest:

Pearson - injured, maybe someone offers a conditional pick based on games played?

Hamonic - depends on if he’ll waive his NMC, think Edmonton or Winnipeg would trade a 2nd/3rd for him if he will.

Motte - would be lots of interest, but I’d only move him if we got offered what SJ got for Goodrow (ie - 1st rounder for Motte + 3rd).

This might be a good year to load up on mid-to-late picks. With the lack of scoring that has gone on, there is more chance of talented players slipping through the top rounds. Picks are more like “lottery tickets” this year.

out of all the bottom 6 players, why trade Motte? We need him to be part of the group moving forward. The rest could be traded.

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Provost said:

Hmmm methinks that.....

ship it GIF

in fairness, who would we trade with? I'm having trouble seeing any trade partners that can take on salary or send back expiring deals that they want to part with. Add to that the low covid cap and I think TSN trade day will hit new heights of boredom. They'll probably show replays of old trades.

Hardest year in history maybe to make a significant deal. NJ, DET, OTT, LA all posed to hoover up salary too, which we can't match. 

Buckle up for a whole lotta nuttin. 

32 20 10 2 42 .656 17 20 107 83 +24 11-6-1 9-4-1 0-0 4-6-0 W1
2  Winnipeg 33 20 11 2 42 .636 14 20 109 92 +17 10-5-1 10-6-1 0-1 5-4-1 W2
3  Edmonton 34 21 13 0 42 .618 20 21 116 97 +19 12-8-0 9-5-0 0-0 7-3-0 W3
4  Montréal 31 14 8 9 37 .597 13 13 100 87 +13 6-5-2 8-3-7 1-3 4-2-4 W1
5  Vancouver 37 16 18 3 35 .473 11 13 100 120 -20 9-9-2 7-9-1 3-1 6-3-1 L2
6  Calgary 34 15 16 3 33 .485 13 14 89 102 -13 8-5-1 7-11-2 1-1 4-5-1 L3
7  Ottawa 35 12 20 3 27 .386 8 10 92 132 -40 8-6-3 4-14-0 2-1 4-4-2 W2

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Motte is the easiest to move, but he's also the last guy on that list we should move. I guess if someone goes crazy and coughs up a 1st and a good prospect but who has that depth? 

I'd love to move the other guys but its a problem of trade partners being on LTIR and/or no cap and/or no deals they can send back our way to make the deal happen.

Other than cap-lateral deals like the Jake for Nuttivara one, I just can't see us doing anything major. 

I'd be shocked but if someone offers you a 1st for Motte, you take it and run.

As for the rest, teams will be looking for warm bodies this year for their taxi squad. No reason we shouldn't be able to get mid-low round picks for a few guys.

Edited by kanucks25

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

I'd be shocked but if someone offers you a 1st for Motte, you take it and run.

I'm not sure its that easy tho.... lets say its in the range of 28-31 this year, without a prospect too I don't know that I'd want to give Motte up. He's such an excellent value player and allows us to spend in other places. Being that low in the 1st round is essentially a 2nd round pick, and I wouldn't trade Motte for a 2nd rounder in this current draft. Maybe last years much deeper draft, but this one's wonky. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not sure its that easy tho.... lets say its in the range of 28-31 this year, without a prospect too I don't know that I'd want to give Motte up. He's such an excellent value player and allows us to spend in other places. Being that low in the 1st round is essentially a 2nd round pick, and I wouldn't trade Motte for a 2nd rounder in this current draft. Maybe last years much deeper draft, but this one's wonky. 

Ask for next year's 1st :ph34r:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Ask for next year's 1st :ph34r:

shrewd

9 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

As for the rest, teams will be looking for warm bodies this year for their taxi squad. No reason we shouldn't be able to get mid-low round picks for a few guys.

maybe Benn? don't see the salary working for. the other guys. I'd like to keep Hamonic on a cheapie deal. 

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

For sure he would.   Especially given a team might already be looking at him for next season.   He's still a great player for that role (bottom six shutdown C - 4th line)...and produces fine goal wise still starting mostly in the D zone ... PK ... sure a team would bite at 50%, sucks that the market isn't good though - that's what is been floated right now anyways given travel restrictions etc...maybe a third rounder sort of return. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1