The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | March 10, 2021 | 8 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You're gonna have to thank Gillis for finding no replacement for him whatsoever, either through the draft, free agency or trade. Seriously horrendous if you were to trace back to the roots of the original problems of this team.

Gillis had a contending team. His focus was on adding whatever he could to help the team win when their window was open, and he largely did well. Hamhuis and Ehrhoff were fantastic additions that cost the team virtually nothing. Tanev was also a home run of a signing. His drafting ended up poor (injuries and accidents didn’t help), but more than enough time has passed to address that.

Benning has been in charge since 2014, so has had sufficient time to figure out the defence. He certainly tried to - he used valuable trade assets to acquire young defensemen, but they turned out to be Sbisa and Gudbranson. Then he turned to free agency, and acquired Del Zotto and Myers. All 4 have been poor acquisitions, and that has set the team back (Myers is the best of them, but is significantly overpaid). I like Schmidt and Hamonic, and feel their struggles so far are coaching related...but ensuring the right coaches are there is also Jim’s responsibility.

It’s been nearly 7 years. Any problems with this team are now Benning’s fault, 100%.

Edited by D-Money
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Last nights problem was commitment to winning puck battles and that Montreal bought hard into their system of sending 2-3 guys to our puck carriers so we never really had possession of the puck. Totally dominated at 5 on 5.  We have played the Habs enough times that we know what’s coming and it’s on the coaching to make adjustments.  Are the Habs grossly more talented than the Canucks?  Probably a case could be made that our top6 is better than theirs but their team play is so far ahead of us it’s laughable.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Last nights problem was commitment to winning puck battles and that Montreal bought hard into their system of sending 2-3 guys to our puck carriers so we never really had possession of the puck. Totally dominated at 5 on 5.  We have played the Habs enough times that we know what’s coming and it’s on the coaching to make adjustments.  Are the Habs grossly more talented than the Canucks?  Probably a case could be made that our top6 is better than theirs but their team play is so far ahead of us it’s laughable.  

MTL is a deeper, more balanced team

7 hours ago, khay said:

Well, at least we made the right call on our goaltending future.

Letting go of Tanev sucked but Schmidt, Hamonic, and Juolevi (when he plays) have been great.

So why do we suck? Because we lost Toffoli?

I'm all for giving Green a chance until the end of the season but I'm beginning to think that it's coaching. It's either Green or his assistants. If the same coaching staff is brought back, I will be pissed. At least the assistants need to go.

We suck coz our system sucks. We give up so many shots per game and expect our goalie to stand on their head game in game out. People keep pointing to oh they are low percentage outside shots blah blah. Well most goalie gives up on avg 1 goal every 10-11 shots. We are giving up 30+ shots and a bunch of 40+ shots.. chances increases that we give up a goal due to unlucky bounce etc what not. Everything about our system sucks. Especially playing with the lead we will turtle. I'm pretty sure we have the 2nd worse if not the worse record entering the 3rd period with the lead.. we haven't had much.. but we blown at least 3 if not 4 coz we just turtle and give up even more shot than we already do normally. 

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Nonis got fired for not trading away 2 of Edler/Kesler/Schnieder for a Brad Richards rental.  The Sedins likely walk if he makes that deal.

If thats true thats just another example of our incompetent owners.

Deep pockets doesn't mean they're smart.

We need experience in management and coaching, a pres of hockey ops with nhl pedigree and for the cancer aquas to back off.

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

What? He spent hundreds of millions of dollars to secure the team with stability, which in turn helps employ thousands of people in sports and other businesses. There isn't a tax write off. Furthermore, he purchased the arena himself, as opposed to asking the city to pay for it, unlike Edmonton's arena. Your suspicion on the tax angle doesn't make much sense.

There's a massive tax write off if he chooses to use it.

He bought the team for the real estate and what I would assume is a cool toy we would all want.

Feel asleep when the 3rd started... Brutal my bed time is 930 and these guys scheduling 8pm games :lol:

Was a very meh game tbh. Can't win em all... Already spanked the best team in the league twice without Petey and beat Montreal the game before. 

Successful past 4 games imo... No MVP/calder winner and still spanked Tarrana... Habs lucky to get a single point past 2 games. The luck will even out. 

As for me... I like this team. Still can go streaking into the playoffs. 

Edited by apollo
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Canucks have some promising, good young players, but they also have poor players holding them back and a coach who only sees rainbows and unicorns.

Well, maybe in 2025, or 2030? Sure hope we don't have to wait until 2040. Wow I'll be really old and if they finally win in 2050, might be too late for me

yuck   

8 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You're gonna have to thank Gillis for finding no replacement for him whatsoever, either through the draft, free agency or trade. Seriously horrendous if you were to trace back to the roots of the original problems of this team.

Tanev is hardly chopped liver.   He’s exactly the type of defenseman we lack the most right now.  A great defensive defenseman vs a couple solid ones we currently have (one of whom is Edler).  Tanev was 24 years old when Benning was hired as GM.  Hamhuis was 2 years older than Schmidt.  Edler was one year younger than Schmidt at the time.  Bad drafting by Gillis left HUGE holes up front (which is what Benning fixed) but the blueline overhaul has been a failure by Benning during these years.  Replacing these guys via trades have been less than good (and I’m being kind).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

I’m looking forward to Motte and Hawryluk patching up hard feelings from training camp and playing on a line together. Even Beagle plays with a big chip on his shoulder when his line mates play with physical play and emotion. Roussel needs to go hang out with Louie.

@canuck2288 we get It, Green isn't your guy.

How about coming up with a solution, one that could actually be implemented this season because I don't see one. King and Higgins aren't taking over. 

You make some good points about things like a lack of coaching adjustments but it gets lost in the Green hate. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

So I see we're in ' fire everybody' mode again. Last night was a dud. And ok, things look hopeless in our chase for a playoff spot. But I do see hope. The team is at least trending in the right direction. We're 4-2 in March including 2 wins against the league's top team...without Petey. We won 3 in a row. We weren't going to keep winning every game. After a 2 day break we're going to regroup and beat the Oil and sweep Ottawa again. And then we'll be in a position to fight for the playoffs again. It's not a stretch. And it's not time to give up yet.

Edited by yes we can nucks

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Michaelis is floating. He should be in Utica. We need more size in the bottom 6. Mac would back up JT.

he seems to be in over his head for sure. 3C is our biggest need this offseason imo. 

• Cheers 1