The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | March 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, CBC, NHLN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

Caught Edmonton on the end of a back to back and they still brought a lot of effort but I think the Canucks did well limiting their chances, they had a lot of shots from the outside and the only good chances they had were from McDavid and Draisaitl just rushing us but Demko stood strong, they get lucky with the goal to be fair because of Hamonic's broken stick otherwise who knows, might have been a shutout...

Top line played well, Miller looks like he's finally back in his groove because he's played his best all-around hockey of late, did a great job defending  and on the PK. Hoglander is what that line needed - a bit of energy that Pettersson wasn't bringing and it shows on the game winning goal.

Horvat and Pearson were our best players tonight, they were all over the ice and too strong for the Oilers defence. The goal summed it up but they were a force all night long, they both do so much for this team, it'd be a real loss to see Pearson go - he's still young, strong and generates more than offence for this squad so I'm sure JB will try and get him re-signed. Both score the hardest-worked goal of the season against some strong dudes like Nurse.

3rd and 4th lines were pretty average tonight, they didn't have to do much against a weak bottom-6 in Edmonton, this was always going to be a top-heavy game and for once our top guys out-shone the Oilers top loaded line.

On defence Edler had to deal with McDavid all night long and McDavid has made him (and just about every top defender) silly in the past but Edler and Schmidt did well to limit his chances to single 1-on-1 shots. Dealing with McDavid and Draisaitl on the same line must be a nightmare so extra credit to these guys, they were matched up all night long but it made it easier for our bottom-4 defencemen. Obviously Myers with a monster goal but he did well at times defensively but again, didn't have to deal with too much quality apart from the odd time he was checking the top line.

Of course this game is all about Demko but he didn't have to deal with any odd-man rushes or real A-grade chances, we played tightly in front of him, collapsed down nicely and he was quick to recover, positionally perfect all game long. He's finally getting into his groove now.

Great bounce-back game, I thought the Oilers were the better team but we worked harder and it shows, if you work hard you can beat any team in this league.

Two games against Ottawa who haven't been completely bad lately, we really need to win these easy games because a back-to-back against Montreal in Montreal is going to be a disaster. If we win the next 2, suddenly we're on an amazing run of games. Split the Montreal series and you never know...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Lol “should have started Demko back to back” ever think that maybe just maybe he’s playing so well right now was because of that break and isn’t possible we could have lost the back to back game anyway and or the next one.

Hilarious people hilarious. Keep living in the past 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Well done boys. Great game. 

Demko another 3 star performance. Amazing performance again. No matter what happens in this season, seeing Demko turning into a real star starter is nothing but brilliant. 

on a side note, Beating Oilers and only 89 pages??? 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Yep. We're a developing team that needs great goal tending and he is an absolute stud. 

Next year we are going to look scary AF.

We let some key vets walk this off season and ripped the bandaid off, our kids are growing up and it's time they learn to fly on their own. Management had to at some point test these kids out to see where they are at. To start the season I was starting to worry about them, but to see them round their game out and keep pushing through this tough season. It's been great to see, and makes me excited for next year! 

With our schedule relaxing we are now playing above 500 hockey in the last 10 games. Which is way better than where we were at a bit ago. Other teams are now having to gut it out on their tough part of the schedule...cough cough, Montreal...they may have our number but they are sinking fast. Hopefully we can take advantage of tired teams and catch up in the standings.

To see Demko emerge as a # 1 this season is just gravy, pure gravy! Hope he keeps it up, sure looks like he will.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I confess.....at first, I was so critical of Myers but I eat my words.  He had a great night and I've seen how important he is to this team lately.   Has the occasional deer in headlights moments, but overall he's solid for us.  Benn too....lately they've really been assets not liabilities.

I love the aggression he's brought this year, just like last year in the playoffs it seemed to come out of nowhere with him. I don't even remember him being that nasty while with the Jets!? Maybe i'm wrong?? Anyways, i'll take that kind of play from him any day. And this team needs it from him. Now that he's settled into Vancouver I really like what he brings to our team. I'm entertaining myself with the idea of Tryamkin and Myers on a D pairing next year...the two towers pairing. 

• Vintage 1