Jay Beagle - 3M
Jordie Benn - 2M
Sven Bartschi 2.291M
Ryan Spooner - 1.033M

spacer.png

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Cherry picked? How did I cherry pick by giving his most recent performance AND his CAREER ppg percentage? If anyone’s picking cherries here I think it’s the guy ignoring the entire last half of my post ;) 

Are you actually ignorant to the way he produced? Genuine question.

This is a guy who stands in front of the net and is reliable defensively and by all accounts - a great teammate and good professional.

He had like a four month sample where he scored a stupid high amount of empty net points. The rest of his production comes from tap ins and dirty $&!#. That’s why there’s been so much fluctuation in his scoring in the last five years - he’s a product of the chances the team generates for him. If there aren’t chances for him to get an empty netter or deflection/grease goal, the only way he scores otherwise is the occasional transition wrist shot from 25 feet. 

He is a product of his teammates and does not drive his own production.

Jesus christ man. 

Umm... not sure what everyone is so mad about with this signing. This is literally exactly what an average middle six winger costs. His closest comparable contracts, according to CapFriendly, are Marcus Foligno, Zack Kassian and Craig Smith. All of whom produce roughly the same amount of points or less, are as good or worse defensively and have similar cap hits. 

I know a lot of people want to just fill these holes with league minimum contracts or rookies but that's how we ended up hurting the development of Virtanen and McCann and with a lineup full of Megna, Chaput, Skille and Vey. The fact is you can't rely on tweeners like Vesey or Boyd, guys like that can't stick reliably in the NHL for a reason. They got hot and look good once in a while but usually don't contribute much other than a warm body to fill a hole in the line up.

Pearson is a proven contributer (0.46 ppg career) and isn't a defensive liability on a team that very poor defensively. He also has proven chemistry with Bo, if he's needed to play on the 2nd line, I'm hoping for a Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Höglander and Podkolzin top 6 myself. And he is a respected leader in the locker room, not just a 'veteran presence' as we've heard with some of these other signings.

Can't imagine how angry this board would be if he signed the same contract somewhere

else as a UFA and then went out and reverted back to more of his average season like the 21g 45p he put up last year for us. I'm not a huge fan of the third year but it's movable with absolutely no no-trade protection. This contract is much better than Roussel (0.32 ppg career) or Beagle (0.23 ppg career)

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Stability in the crease?  He’s got less than a 0.900 save percentage making 5.7 million cash next season.  No way they take him.  Jay Beagle would be a far better option for them.  

Jay beagle may be injured into next year

Just now, IRR said:

I'm not saying i like this contract, but there's a few things that are annoying...

1) Some people think every player should sign for next to nothing / free! 

Some do. Most realize that a player sets a bar for what they're worth by their play. 

Just now, IRR said:

2) Some people using this years stats as the example...not only should that not been done for him, that shouldn't be used for anyone / anything. It's been an all around mightmare!

Statistics are all some have to form a position in an argument. The eye test for others. 

Just now, IRR said:

3) Some people are completely ignoring everything else he does / his previous accomplishments! You just don't do that when doing these things. 

The last two seasons should only factor into a player's contract. Even though he won the ultimate prize, that was a long time ago.

Just now, IRR said:

Like i said, i'm not saying i 100% like it, but some of you need to find balance when evaluating things related to this team and stop jumping off a cliff everytime somethings not exactly as you see it. 

Very few folks are "jumping off a cliff". They're voicing their opinion regarding a contract a player signed that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense for the team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

Players don’t perform well on bad team put together by a bunch of low iq big ego guys who want to be right about everything and don’t actually care about winning a cup.

They only care about proving themselves right and keeping their jobs.

Leaving Awkward Moment GIF by The Great British Sewing Bee

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Because, we've prepared well for the draft and who we will be exposing. He is likely the best player that we will make available, his contract was structured so that we could make him available, and as he's a former cup winner, he'll be a good influence on a new group and help bring them together.

He'll bring stability to their crease while not being locked in for a long period of time, allowing them future flexibility on who they want to keep.

People freaking out here, yet have no idea what plans Benning has in place for the ED and other contracts that might be moved or bought-out. For all we know LE Rousell and Holtby are all off the roster next season and I think JV is done as well. Pearson is a good fit in the top 9 who can slot next to Horvat as well. 

People need to chill out and wait till the off-season is done before posting hot takes that 4 months from now will be used to show how silly these takes are. 

42 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I feel like I'm on an island of my own, but I like this deal. Sorry guys.

Me too.

Too much whining over Toffoli.  We could not afford him last off season.  Yes better, but Pearson is still a solid NHL middle 6 winger.  We are adding Podz on right side. We did not pay $5 mill x 6.

We still needed a LW. Even if you consider Hoglander our top left winger.  Kole Lind, is actually a natural RW, has been playing pivot in Utica. He was not heading to our left side regardless.

Maybe Gadjovich will eventually surface?  More likely, we will buy out Eriksson this off season. We will still see another UFA this summer, be it a 3C or LW.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't get this argument... It's not like we could make Pearson's contact expire a year sooner and sign Toffoli instead.

By all means I can listen to suggestions to let Virtanen walk instead... But we still would have needed another $1.5m. 

He didn't say peak, he said prime. And it's really mid 20's iirc where athletes peak.

Are you implying that players generally peak outside of their prime?

1 minute ago, kj29 said:

Tyler Myers - 6M
Loui Eriksson - 6M
Brandon Sutter - 4.375M
Michael Ferland - 3.5M

Tanner Pearson - 3.25M
Roberto Luengo 3M
Jake Virtanen 3M
Antoinne Roussel - 3M
Jay Beagle - 3M
Jordie Benn - 2M
Sven Bartschi 2.291M
Ryan Spooner - 1.033M

spacer.png

What does LuEongo have to do with Jim Benning 

• Thanks 1

I think Pearson is a bit better 200 foot player than Toffoli.  I think he is close offensively.  I don't think nhl contracts are determined solely on your last 30 games, if they were then Toffoli is worth 9 million.  1 year and 1 million less is not bad and, I think, accurate for what Tanner brings, compared to Toffoli.  We didn't have the cap for Toffoli anyway.  It also gave room for Hogz to get going.  Sutter, Baertschi, and Spooner are off the books next year and Pearson is 500k cheaper.  This will also leave some room for Podz and maybe Lind to earn a spot. I think JB did fine with this one.

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Anybody with half a hockey mind will agree that this is a bad deal at a bad time that basically sums up Benning’s history of giving out deals. Great talent evaluator, piss poor asset manager. If this club wants to be successful they need somebody who can do both. Jim just isn’t the guy I’m sorry. 

Canucks need to re-hire Lawrence Gillman as an Assistant GM. 

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

People freaking out here, yet have no idea what plans Benning has in place for the ED and other contracts that might be moved or bought-out. For all we know LE Rousell and Holtby are all off the roster next season and I think JV is done as well. Pearson is a good fit in the top 9 who can slot next to Horvat as well. 

People need to chill out and wait till the off-season is done before posting hot takes that 4 months from now will be used to show how silly these takes are. 

I know, right???