The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

Just now, aGENT said:

Calling Gaudette a centre is also a bit of a stretch :lol:

I know he sucked there but he was the "best" available option left (which says alot more about our depth there than anything else).  

I don’t think their is any reason to complain about this trade. AG was playing like poop this season, coming off COVID protocol and an upcoming RFA that we wouldn’t be able to afford. 
I can understand that he had a lot of hype coming into the league as a hobey baker winner but he didn’t live up to it and especially in today’s NHL you better crap or get off the toilet. If you try giving these guys a million chances you end up in Buffalo territory. 

• Vintage 2
33 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

So now it looks like...

Gaudette + 4th round pick for Bowey, Highmore and 5th round pick

17 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I'm not big on Gaud but seems like he was given away for nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

with Highmore & Bowey Benning also gave himself more options re: the expansion draft as both have another year on their terms.

Maybe Jim Benning (and Stan Bowman) was trolling the fanbase and the actual deal was AG + 4rd for Bowey, Highmore, + 5rd, but he purposely announced them separately in as slanted a way possible to evoke the largest triggered response.  :bigblush:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, tas said:

moving tweeners for guys who fit a role makes perfect sense. 

gaudette isn't top 6 and isn't bottom 6. he should be in europe. 

same with virtanen. 

Did you base that off just this season? Look at last season you know the one not impacted by covid

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe Jim Benning (and Stan Bowman) was trolling the fanbase and the actual deal was AG + 4rd for Bowey, Highmore, + 5rd, but he purposely announced them separately in as slanted a way possible to evoke the largest triggered response.  :bigblush:

Not really wise to provoke a rabid mob that's already calling for your job

51 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Canucks weren't gonna re sign him so they got something instead of nothing. Clearing out a Judd pick. I see no other reasons to do this trade. 

Bingo.

Imagine the usual refrain of "why did Benning let x player go for nothing!" if he didn't take what was available in this depressed market.

• Hydration 1
40 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Shhh, someone might hear you having an opinion... 

Whisper it to me, or it may cost you your career. 

The New Normal... :huh:  insert sheep sounds for effect, or possibly an Orwell quote-prophecy.  

Orwell didn't say it, but you do bring to mind a quote:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Please keep your neocon buzzwords out of a hockey thread. 

• Hydration 2
29 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I give him credit for playing at 172lbs with low energy levels.  

Anyone who plays sports should immediately understand how useless you feel when playing even just with the flu.  

The kid did ok in my books, considering.  Don’t really mind/hate the trade as much as I do the return commodity, which is arguably the second most easily ascertained value out there, next to one-dimensional, smallish soft skill. 

I’d rather he was traded for toughness or something the organization lacks.  I think JB just made a hole.  All will need to go well to see AGs hole filled within.  Sound like Canucks Luck?? 

So he's had this issue since college, had a career year last season then has his worst season after finding a treatment, seems like that wasn't much of an issue on ice. As someone who has colitis and suffers from several stomach issues that have led to a feeding tube AG's sounded simply a weight issue, doesn't sound like he was in a lot of pain nor did it hold him back in hockey.

I saw somebody tweet that we have been coveting Highmore for 4 years now...

geez.. that sounds awfully familiar!!

but seriously.... is he better than Boyd or Vesey?? If not... it's just a move for Utica!

16 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

gave the team corona got traded for his troubles. bye !

Yup!! That was pretty much it... quite fair to be honest.. and I'm sure he's happy to join a rebuilding and improving Blackhawks team!