The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

8 hours ago, kilgore said:

I don't really want to rehash this more.

But it was the exaggeration of describing Hamhuis as SIGNIFICANTLY declining.  I agree he was declining. But still obviously useful for a few more seasons for another team. ie...tradable.

Whether Jim could have tried to move him sooner, months before the deadline, and just "ran out of time" again, or just was not creative enough, or salesman enough, to get something for him.  That's his job. Can't believe how many here just accept his excuses. Goes all the way to Markstrom and Tanev. A proactive GM would have bit the bullet on Markstrom, anticipating what he would be asking, and even Tanev and tried to move them before the trade deadline.  Acquiring more picks and younger D prospects. 

I think we could have gotten quite the haul from those two that didn't return anyways. And had the space to re-sign Tafolli and Stecher too. Sure it would have pissed off some of the team at the time, but its not his job to be friends with the team. He could learn from Wally Buono. (Hey is he free?) But to look ahead and plan for everything to be in place cap wise, and roster wise, when an emerging core is in their prime. 

I don't have confidence that his "just living day to day" reactive approach to GMing will facilitate that happening.

I know you don't want to rehash, but you did write a long message despite that ;)

The reality is that Hamhuis had a no-trade clause.  What is said in the media is not always what the truth is but a PR move.  To blame the GM for not trading him is a bit odd given that none of us have the inside scoop.

Markstrom and Tanev - the Canucks were within one goal with 5 minutes left in a game to make the conference finals.  They don't do this without Markstrom.  I agree that it would have been nice to get something for them but getting experience in the playoffs seemed more valuable to JB than getting some picks that don't help the team now.  Keep in mind that during a pandemic, the price is low.  I hated seeing them leave for nothing but I'm willing to give JB the benefit of the doubt for another season or two. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Gaudette has more points in 2 and a bit years than Schroeder had his entire career. Schroeders career high was 13 points and he never made it to regular nhl duty and was a bit part at best almost his entire career.

I see almost no comparison in their trajectories.

EDIT: Schroeder was pretty much garbage right from the start. He showed little in his first steps. Actually showed little in his first, middle, and last steps in the nhl.

If we’re comparing Gaudette to Schroeder, the bar is pretty low.

12 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Jordan Schroeder ...

thumb_122800531_220923586062075_1179130064700001545_n-3162054599.jpg

Remember when many here were expecting him to replace Ryan Kesler as a future 2nd line center? 

On a Star Wars note and totally unrelated...

91D5B7E9-6937-41E2-900A-B8B77347E22F.jpeg

15 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Gaudette has more points in 2 and a bit years than Schroeder had his entire career. Schroeders career high was 13 points and he never made it to regular nhl duty and was a bit part at best almost his entire career.

I see almost no comparison in their trajectories.

EDIT: Schroeder was pretty much garbage right from the start. He showed little in his first steps. Actually showed little in his first, middle, and last steps in the nhl.

Schroeder to be fair had a monster WJC. Him and Hodgson were thought to be great prospects. It's just weird how these players are tied back to Gillis being unable to draft/develop any players under his regime.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Schroeder to be fair had a monster WJC. Him and Hodgson were thought to be great prospects. It's just weird how these players are tied back to Gillis being unable to draft/develop any players under his regime.

well maybe that has something to do with developement

Jake falls into that catagory as well

jury is still out on Woo. Lind. Gadj, Mikey, Rath, Lockwood and Brisbois

Also Shinkaruck and Gaunce were developed by the Jim team so its either drafting (Gillis) or Developement (Jim)

on a side note, McCann's numbers are almost identical to Cody Hodgson's

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Also Shinkaruck and Gaunce were developed by the Jim team so its either drafting (Gillis) or Developement (Jim)

Shinkaruk was already injured by the time Jim took over. He never recovered from that. Gaunce.. he improved only slightly during Jim's tenure, and he ultimately was not NHL calibre, especially since he hasn't been able to advance further with his career after the Canucks. It's really too bad.

I do agree. I would've loved to see Jake flourish with another coach.

As for Lind, Gadj, Jasek, we never had these calibre of players at any one point under Gillis. All of these are probably middle six players.

Edited by Dazzle

6 hours ago, lmm said:

Sometimes it's also on the player.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Shinkaruk was already injured by the time Jim took over. He never recovered from that. Gaunce.. he improved only slightly during Jim's tenure, and he ultimately was not NHL calibre, especially since he hasn't been able to advance further with his career after the Canucks. It's really too bad.

I do agree. I would've loved to see Jake flourish with another coach.

As for Lind, Gadj, Jasek, we never had these calibre of players at any one point under Gillis. All of these are probably middle six players.

Did Shinkaruk have knee problems?

I seem to recall he had skating issues

as for the rest of these guys I do not subscribe to the "probably middle six" theory

when they make the show, we will see what they can do

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sometimes it's also on the player.

sometimes it is

however if you recall Gaunce was a point a game player in junior in his draft year and the 3 following years.

he was over a point a game in the playoffs

but when he got to Utica he was moved from scoring center to 4th line wing

he never scored at a point a game pace until his last 4 games in the NHL

And he lost his last chance with the Canucks to the golden boy Adam Gaudette

given every chance to succeed

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Seriously, a few days after being traded he is on the ice for them and not quarantining?

Might be because he just had Covid.  Rules in Illinois from the official website:

If you have tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 90 days, you are exempt from the Travel Order as long as you have completed your 10-day isolation (from start of symptoms and/or positive test), have a documented positive test, and remain asymptomatic during your travel. 

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

In the United States, different states have different rules for the quarantine period. 

In NY, it's either 10 days if you don't test or a 7-day "non-mandated" quarantine if you test negative 36 hours before and after your trip. I'm sure Illinois is in the process of relaxing its own restrictions with how well mass vaccination is going in the US. 

Edited by guntrix

On 4/16/2021 at 11:00 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Some of us remember thinking that was crazy at the time lol

Who didn't, the guy was ripping it up in college and in the farm team. Thats why we should temper our expectations on the prospects coming up rather than fielding 5 rookies as many overzealous fans are speculating on opening night next season.

• Cheers 2

On 4/17/2021 at 12:41 AM, N4ZZY said:

You know what. When Schroeder was drafted, I actually liked his highlights package so much, I really did believe he was going to pan out for us and be a top six forward. I guess his skill wasn't quite elite enough. It's too bad for the man, not sure what happened. He just didn't get an opportunity, or he was never that good to begin with. 

Shows you how much I know about professional hockey...LOL 

Yeah i think Torts took over the next season and just didn't like Schroeder, and his career just went downhill from there. He looked decent in his few games here. I call BS on anyone that wasn't excited on having Schroeder on the team. People were just going nuts on how he fell on our lap, that guy was mocked at picks between 6-15

• Cheers 1