The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim the Scout, not the Asset Manager

Rate this topic

Makaramel MacKhiato

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think Jim will be leaving hockey for a job in International diplomacy, but to call him dishonest is ridiculous. If anything he's too open with his comments. 

That's exactly what Trumps fans say about him. 

I say both try to blame others and that is dishonest in my view. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He’s a very good scout that has reshaped our roster through the draft yes.

Right now that is very valuable to us.

Once we have all the core pieces in place it will be up to a GM like a Stan Bowman with championship experience to take the roster to the next level.

Damnit, both you and Heffy managed to give a decent answer.

The world is turning... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Look what Bergevin was able to do in one summer.

Made some very good moves with very little.

He had some good pieces just needed a few players here n there with the C19 he got lucky on some very low contracts. I’m not gonna say it was all luck but some of it was.

4 hours ago, rychicken said:

Awesome, another JB thread....

Ahhh yes, but this is covering a previously uncovered angle. It MUST have its own thread! Next new thread, Benning, does he wear a toupee like Trump, and is it possibly restricting his blood flow? Click on his trash canucksarmy link where we give you all the reasons to hate this administration even more than you already do...

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yup. And nearly 37 million coming off the books over this off season and next. Right when guys like Lind, Gadj, Jasek, Woo, Podkolzin, Rathbone and even Höglander are ready to step in to support (or better) roles after being given time to properly develop and not thrown in to the fire with no support.

Also when guys like Bo, Boeser, Petterson, Hughes and Demko are more developed and used to the highest competition and are ready to really lead a team.

Almost like there was actually some kind of plan...

Even if you don't like it.

That was the original plan.  Petey, Hughes, and Brock screwed that plan up by developing too well.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm tired of reading the Toffoli crap. We were pre- Covid when the deal was made. Daly announced that the cap was going up by 3-6 million depending on the NHLPA and the escrow percentage. Not only did Covid take away revenue and freeze the cap, but it dropped the bottom out of the worth of certain players. These were the players we were going to deal. Their Playoff performances would have made them attractive to other teams in any other season. So now, not only has their value dropped (because of the Covid effect) but other teams don't have the cap room to acquire players.

Now only the top teams are making deals for a Playoff push. With the cap freeze, we have to be more creative with the salaries and with which players to keep. eg. Pearson plays an important role and Gaudette didn't. The reality is that the players that people want to jettison due to popularity are not in demand and other teams can pick and choose the best options. We will have to let deals expire and we will have a good window opening in two years when all the bad contracts are gone.

I love our guys, but we are still a few steps away. Benning is already replacing the bottom with less expensive options. Our bottom 6 is going to look a lot different over the next few seasons. Benning is not doing exactly the same as he always does except making a deal if he thinks it will make the team better over the long term.

image.png.69afea1a65c5bb203b03aa293cf90835.png

Re: Toffoli I was going to say the same thing... if you’re actually talking “asset management” his acquisition needed to be weighted against what we gave up vs his play with the team and a strong assuming he would have been able to be retained under normal circumstances. 

It was actually a decent move and the outcome is a healthy dose of bad luck.  I think he’s still with us over Tanev and Marky if the cap goes up the way it should have. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The thing is Bennings drafts are producing talent at a level this organization has not seen too often.

So as much as fans complain about his managing of the roster, we badly need the talent that he’s able to find in the draft.

The Aquilinis see this and will give him more time to find talent before a new GM comes in and takes the team to the next level.

I dunno man I mean you are correct he's had some really awesome pics but the Canucks have absolutely sucked since 2012?

I would have realistically done alright.

• Haha 1

Hockey players are not real estate, stocks, comic books, coins, or stamps. 

Nor are they cattle. 

Things happen. You can do the best you can. Make the best moves you can. 

Some things work. Some things don't. 

No GM has a perfect track record to my knowledge. 

You can complain about the time table. The results. The moves. 

Go play NHL 21 if you want to be a GM. But that is also a simulation, not real GM's. 

As DeNiro points out. Rarely have we seen a GM draft so well. If your farm team is well stocked. That can make up for other mistakes. 

Some teams constantly make high draft picks and make lots of questionable moves. 

Considering Vancouver has yet to draft a first overall pick, or a "generational" talent. 

Eriksson looked good at the time but was a mistake, especially with that length of contract. 

I wasn't privy to what went on last season. Maybe Benning focused too much on getting a defensemen, and should have made moves to free up cap space to sign

Toffoli. It happens. Maybe if anything Benning needs a better Assistant GM (cough..cough dump Weisbrod).

Bottom line, even when Gillis got a sweetheart deal of getting Ehrhoff (due to San Jose in a cap crunch). He lost him for nothing in free agency. I didn't hear anyone calling for Gillis's head for not giving Ehrhoff what he wanted.

• Cheers 2

I have to agree with the author

To me, what the author is saying is that Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jacob, Markstrom, Chris Tanev, and Tyler Toffoli should have brought us something in important asset recovery. Now, I know Toffoli came in as part of our last playoff race, but his cost ( Madden, 2020 2nd, and a 4th?) is the equivalent, and part of the point.

If you look, at these players, they are all, stars and all would have brought some form of Toffoli equivalent. All for the sake of a playoff march, or even earlier, when no such thing was in sight.

Put into the argument Eriksson, who was brought in when everyone of us knew, we were declining and there is alot of room for questioning Benning's decisions in this regard. 

Add to that Pearson, for what the author thinks would have been a 2nd rounder, and you can easily see, we are certainly short more than a few potential assets.

Now, bringing in Miller (a 1st) and Myers, help bring us 1 trip to the playoffs, BUT, and that is a big BUT! The little experience we gained from a playoff appearance, has been lost, when we let them all walk away...............something, again we knew was going to happen, regardless of the Flat Cap cause by Covid. We knew Markstrom would ask in the area of 6 million, and without covid, Tanev would have been asking for more, same for Toffoli, so we absolutely knew, we were loosing high end players.

Basically, we knew, we were not making the playoffs, a second year in a row, something underlined by Benning's comments about taking a step back, because we could not keep everybody.

So...........sure, we may have kept the Sedin's......Ok, I get that.......I don't agree, but I get it, but why give Edler a NTC? Why handcuff yourself, except, to be able to make the excuse. 

Benning has thrown away, multiple assets for nothing.............excluding the Sedin's and but including Miller, Edler, Marrkstrom, Pearson, Tanev and Toffoli, we have give up, a sum equal to approx. 1st, 5-2nds, Madden and a 4th..............sure there is argument they would not have all come through, but if 1/2 had, plus the extra cap we would have had, we have lost too much. which has been my point all along.

Now, we are looking at Myers, Pearson, Miller and Schmidt, all equal to 2nd round picks or more, and a second opportunity to move them, what will happen in the future? This again is what the author is getting at.

The loss of multiple assets (Picks/ELC's/UFA's) will this continue to be the norm?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

That's exactly what Trumps fans say about him. 

I say both try to blame others and that is dishonest in my view. 

I can't think of anything he's done that sounds like this. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm tired of reading the Toffoli crap. We were pre- Covid when the deal was made. Daly announced that the cap was going up by 3-6 million depending on the NHLPA and the escrow percentage. Not only did Covid take away revenue and freeze the cap, but it dropped the bottom out of the worth of certain players. These were the players we were going to deal. Their Playoff performances would have made them attractive to other teams in any other season. So now, not only has their value dropped (because of the Covid effect) but other teams don't have the cap room to acquire players.

Now only the top teams are making deals for a Playoff push. With the cap freeze, we have to be more creative with the salaries and with which players to keep. eg. Pearson plays an important role and Gaudette didn't. The reality is that the players that people want to jettison due to popularity are not in demand and other teams can pick and choose the best options. We will have to let deals expire and we will have a good window opening in two years when all the bad contracts are gone.

I love our guys, but we are still a few steps away. Benning is already replacing the bottom with less expensive options. Our bottom 6 is going to look a lot different over the next few seasons. Benning is not doing exactly the same as he always does except making a deal if he thinks it will make the team better over the long term.

image.png.69afea1a65c5bb203b03aa293cf90835.png

Tons of picks moved around this year.........

5 - 1st, 3 - 2nds, countless, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths and even a 7th

Covid, did not really change too much at the TDL

• RoughGame 2

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yet, his aversion to acquiring draft capital.  Bizarre. 

Picking at the top of each round is probably statistically verifiable to “produce talent”, which is where his cap teams have finished.  

I think it’s critical to remember why he was picking high, not what he did once he fell there.  

Calling @IBatch, someone claiming it's all simply picking early round picks again :lol:

• Haha 2