The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini owes Canuck Nation an explanation.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

A few good picks don't make up for the flops he picked and ALL the bad trades and tons of terrible signings he made. Not to mention signing Lazy Jake instead of TT last season (who had 11 times Jakes output) for just $1.5M more.......  and letting nearly all our Assets simply walk out the door (year after year) on expired contract instead of trading them for something/anything before hand.  He even screwed that up with Tryamkin last month by not trading his signing rights to Arizona who wanted him and we lost that guy too - for nothing!

Get the point.  Uncle Jim is NOT the second coming of Christ.  He is in fact an ineffective GM with 7 years of team failure on his hands and MUST be replaced!

Agree that he's made mistakes as all GM:s do and we can discuss how big they are (we won't know the full impact of signing e.g. Beagle and Myers yet for a few years, Beagle for influence on younger player and Myers since he could still be a valid asset once we are contenders), but are you seriously (pun intended) suggesting his drafting has not been top notch overall?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Agree that he's made mistakes as all GM:s do and we can discuss how big they are (we won't know the full impact of signing e.g. Beagle and Myers yet for a few years, Beagle for influence on younger player and Myers since he could still be a valid asset once we are contenders), but are you seriously (pun intended) suggesting his drafting has not been top notch overall?

No, of course not.  Drafting (although not perfect)  is the only shining spot on his resume with the addition of those few young players.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:11 AM, drummerboy said:

They owe you nothing.  
This post is exactly what’s wrong with the kids these days.  
I want I want I want. Gimme gimme gimme. 

They don’t owe you a thing. 
And what benefit to the club would there be for telling the entire league their ‘plan’?  

The year sucked.   Big whoop.  
Shortened season.  Insane schedule. The whole team got covid.  We played half the year without our best player. 

The year was a wash.  
The only part that really sucks was the wins at the end of the year that took us from top 4 to 9. 

So you are saying we can’t even lose properly? Maybe we can tick that box next year!

On 5/20/2021 at 3:38 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

Canuck's Nation & Season Ticket Holders demand ownership step up in front of the microphone at a news conference and explain what the game plan is and answer all questions from reporters.   It's been 7 years now with JB & Co. and we're right back at square one - actually much worse this year than back then.  The cycle of excuses and attempted distractions from JB's incompetence, like hiring Trevor and the chatter now about hiring the Sedins/Courtnall doesn't cut-it. We know that's all smoke and mirrors.  Jim Benning Has Failed this franchise and should be removed NOW!

WE (Canuck's Nation & Season Ticket Holders) WAN'T TO KNOW WHAT THE GAME PLAN IS GOING FORWARD   Be a Man Francesco and step up to the podium and answer for these sins!

Simply put no he owes you nothing.

Having a local owner running things again is something I don't take for granted as a long time fan and seeing how for the most part this club has been able to operate as a top cap team I have nothing but appreciation for an ownership group that invested in the team this way. I mean I have heard people calling/texting/emailing in to these shows on the radio etc suggesting sell the team get new owners like what in the bloody hell ?

Now saying that I can appreciate the investment does not mean I or others are ok with where the team is at, but it would be completely incorrect to suggest that the team is worse off now then when Benning was hired as that is simply not the case.

The team continues to add good young players and while hard or risky decisions have been made on veterans it has been proven you need veterans that can set an example and provide leadership for said young players.

There is no cycle of excuses, anytime any person on the team suggests scheduling, covid, etc etc they finish it with not an excuse.

The plan going forward is continue to add young players via the draft and insulate them with good veterans who play the right way and understand the daily NHL grind, there is really not much need for confusion over where the team is or is going. If the management group continues to lack an ability to be able to get creative or retain talent as needed then within two years you may see a change.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Why some people keep saying 7 years?

Did we not have a decent little playoff run just last year?

Worst outbreak of Covid in the nhl affected the performance of a few players and turned a crappy schedule into a horrific one. Also we didn't have our best player for most of the year.

We're still getting better and have a strong stock of talent.

Thanks JB, looking forward to the next couple years of kicking ass. 

I stand alone in that I don't think the playoff run was decent last year but I do believe with the right changes the Canucks are on their way.

The question is can they make the appropriate changes? Hang on to find out!

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

A few good picks don't make up for the flops he picked and ALL the bad trades and tons of terrible signings he made. Not to mention signing Lazy Jake instead of TT last season (who had 11 times Jakes output) for just $1.5M more.......  and letting nearly all our Assets simply walk out the door (year after year) on expired contract instead of trading them for something/anything before hand.  He even screwed that up with Tryamkin last month by not trading his signing rights to Arizona who wanted him and we lost that guy too - for nothing!

Get the point.  Uncle Jim is NOT the second coming of Christ.  He is in fact an ineffective GM with 7 years of team failure on his hands and MUST be replaced!

Hallelujah, blind speculation.  the Benning for prime minister brigade should take a look at this article

Ranking the Last Decade of NHL Draft Results (thehockeywriters.com)

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Hallelujah, blind speculation.  the Benning for prime minister brigade should take a look at this article

Ranking the Last Decade of NHL Draft Results (thehockeywriters.com)

it's a bit dated but includes 5 years of his picks and despite having some success picking a few good players, we still are one of the worst teams in the league (again) and certainly one of the worst dis-jointed Canucks teams in the past 35 years.  But try telling that to the JB/TG Kool-Aid drinkers.

• RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

If it's that easy, why did Gillis fail so miserably at it?

If you talk to certain fans, they'll just say Gillis didn't fail, and that Benning 'undid' everything that Gillis had set up. There's a lot of blinders on for some fans who are only interested in confirming their biases.

20 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If you talk to certain fans, they'll just say Gillis didn't fail, and that Benning 'undid' everything that Gillis had set up. There's a lot of blinders on for some fans who are only interested in confirming their biases.

I couldn't stand Gillis, but I have always given him credit for finding the right pieces to add to Burke/Nonis' core.  I appreciate they were in their window and you have to take the shot, but combined with his (in)ability to find NHL players in the draft completely decimated the organization.  

• Cheers 2

I understand that owning a team is a business but a (big) part of owning a pro sports team is fan relationship - it seems from the outside that this part of business has been lacking but we don't know if there has been some consensus taken from the season ticket holders and there expections.   

11 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I understand that owning a team is a business but a (big) part of owning a pro sports team is fan relationship - it seems from the outside that this part of business has been lacking but we don't know if there has been some consensus taken from the season ticket holders and there expections.   

Every consumer business is that way though.  Considering they sell out most games, I'd say he doesn't have much to worry about.  I think most people think he's a good owner and the team is moving forward and are happy to support them.

• Cheers 2