The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2021 NHL Expansion Draft

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Man, Seattle has something serious up their sleeves... they're stockpiling cap space more than anything else right now... well, that and defence.  This is a calm before a trade storm.

Rumor that they have 3 pending FA signings.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Tough SOB

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Seravalli with all the scoops today.

Suck it Dreger and Friedman!

Yup also

Twarynski from Flyers

Donskoi from Avs

Soucy from Wild

Bayreuther from CBJ

Lauzon from Bruins

McDermid from Kings

would be funny if this was all bs and the selections were different for the live show.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that they'll be trading some of those defensemen they've stole.....picked.

Its smart.  They can corner the market and then have multiple bidding wars for their stocked defensemen barracks to get even greater value forwards than they could have otherwise.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

How is that "off the board"?  Disposable one year contract left (can hide his entire cap hit in the minors) & fufills requirement of having to select a player from all NHL teams (at least with respect to the Canucks).

Off the board meaning not one of the guys most people are talking about.  Also, how exactly will they hide his entire contract in the minors when Highmore would have to clear waivers?  You don't think a team will pick him up?  

If this is true, then Geekie is a solid pick.  A little surprising since Bean is a better known player, but Geekie was a guy that I had wanted the Canucks to try and pry from Carolina.  Tall, rangy C who should at least have good two-way ability in a middle 6 role.  With so few high quality Cs available, picking Geekie could be a very solid bet by Seattle.  There probably won't be too many household names at C for Seattle next year but if they decide to play Gourde, Geekie and Appleton down the middle, the team could be sneaky strong at C. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Off the board meaning not one of the guys most people are talking about.  Also, how exactly will they hide his entire contract in the minors when Highmore would have to clear waivers?  You don't think a team will pick him up?  

I was referring to hiding his cap hit in the minors.  Another team claiming him off of waivers serves that same purpose.  No loss to the Kraken in any event.  Or the Canucks.

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yep. The Kraken have their three goaltenders: Chris Driedger, Vitek Vanecek, Joey Daccord.

Damn they really went for youth + value. No proven starter though. I guess it kinda makes sense - no team was gonna expose their #1 (except Montreal apparently), so all they could do was choose between #2s. Maybe they draft and develop their own franchise goaltender too, they've got some options in this draft

Well looks like they’re weaponizing cap space and building through trades and free agency.

Lol at all the mock drafts that had guys like Price, Tarasenko, Vorachek, and Duchene.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Kraken did not select Hamilton.

I get that, that's why I said they could potentially go out and "SIGN" him along with Suter.  Exactly what LeBrun is referring to.