The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

The first two years of his deal is clear of a NTC. Then there is one that kicks in. 

He is exactly what we are looking for.

Can't have NTCs on RFA years.   Doesn't make him available.

26 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The first two years of his deal is clear of a NTC. Then there is one that kicks in. 

He is exactly what we are looking for.

He’s exactly what Boston wants too and they’ve got him locked up at a good cap hit. I don’t see them exploring a Carlo trade until at least a couple of years from now when their window with Marchand and Bergeron is closed. 

8 hours ago, Ur a Towel said:

Or you know, this is just a rumor and not actually 100% true of what the team is doing? It's funny how the people that have a problem with management are the ones that always just jump to conclusions immediately when they hear something. Also, top 9 forwards would include top 6 forwards in there.

Words hold meaning. If they meant a top 3 forward they would say top 3, if they meant top 6 they would say top 6. Top 9 means 3rd line player who can move up to cover but wouldn't be a top 6 player. 

I haven't jumped to a conclusion, I took the news from a reliable source and reacted to his words. You want to dangle from JBs nutsack go ahead, I don't believe he is capable of building a winning team. You can point to that brief showing in the playoffs if you want but the Canucks didn't earn a playoff spot they were gifted one and just happened to out perform some teams that were rusty. Last year showed what this team is, a terrible defensive team that has to have an outstanding goaltender to survive games.

34 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

D was a mess under Baumer - let’s give Shaw a chance with the D before any major roster tweaking; and hopefully he can convince Schmidt to stay for another year.

Agreed, this is why I'd like to give Schmidt a bit of a chance and ideally get Hamonic back too. 

Baumer was brutal but I think that may be also partly to Green's aggressive pinching/forechecking style which left our D exposed a lot of the time.

Yes, Baumer did a terrible job but we may still have some issues if the defence and forwards don't play cohesively together and we continue to throw 1 pinching defenceman and 2 forecheckers up there.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

D was a mess under Baumer - let’s give Shaw a chance with the D before any major roster tweaking; and hopefully he can convince Schmidt to stay for another year.

While I tend to agree, and would be perfectly fine seeing how a more comfortable Schmidt, with an actual preseason, practice time (under Shaw), non Covid season etc looks like... I also think we could easily move him for a better mix (bigger, meaner, more D oriented) on the back end while possibly shedding a couple mill of cap.

He's a better D than he showed last year. But that doesn't mean we can't have a better mix back there.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake buy-out at 10:01? 

He has to go through waivers 1st.  Can't be bought out tomorrow either as the deadline to put a player on waivers is 12pm ET and the freeze lifts at 1pm ET.  

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While I tend to agree, and would be perfectly fine seeing how a more comfortable Schmidt, with an actual preseason, practice time (under Shaw), non Covid season etc looks like... I also think we could easily move him for a better mix (bigger, meaner, more D oriented) on the back end while possibly shedding a couple mill of cap.

He's a better D than he showed last year. But that doesn't mean we can't have a better mix back there.

Yeah, if he has decided to go better to trade him now than later; and hopefully JB can pull it off - fingers crossed.

All options have to be like looked at when it comes to Schmidt 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, hopefully JB can pull it off - fingers crossed.

I'm hoping for a Schmidt trade for a cheaper 2nd line F (and a pick?), a Hamonic and Hakanpaa signing with a nice, cheap, 35+ contract for Edler, with a +/-$1.5m base salary (+ bonus for games played).

Edited by aGENT

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm hoping for a Schmidt trade for a cheaper 2nd line F (and a pick?), a Hamonic and Hakanpaa signing with a nice, cheap, 35+ contract for Edler, with a +/-$1.5m base salary.

if the Carolina interest rumour is true, maybe we can just trade for Hakanpaa's rights or maybe get him to sign a 2 year deal before the trade. I guess we have to wait and see where Dougie goes first.