The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Apropos of nothing, but going over the list of current UFA defensemen, there are a lot of ex-Canucks.....

Aside from the obvious, Edler and Hamonic, there's Jordie Benn, Eric Gudbranson, Ben Hutton, Luke Schenn, Alex Biega, Luca Sbisa, Derrick Pouliot (everyone's favorite), Taylor Fedun, Matt Bartkowski, Adam Clendening, Ashton Sautner, Michael Del Zotto and Jalen Chatfield....

The makings of a pretty solid ECHL lineup right there....B)

#proscouting

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Boston just lost Lauzon and already had interest in holtby.... they also have a lot of cap.

To Boston:

Schmidt

Holtby

To Van:

Debrusk

1st  

Step 1: Holtby and schmidt to Boston for their 1st (21 oa) + Debrusk
Step 2: two 1sts to Buffalo + Virtanen + someone or something for Reinhart and Ristolainen

maybe throw a second somewhere to make it happen

Personally, I never thought, or was under the impression that we were going to keep Schmidt..

I thought we would move him after the season.

The Blackhawks have a gap with Keith gone,

and are probably rebuilding now.

Id take Zadorov in a heartbeat for Schmidt.

I also wonder if Weber might move out of Montreal.

The next few days are going to be interesting.

• Cheers 2

Just now, SilentSam said:

Personally, I never thought, or was under the impression that we were going to keep Schmidt..

I thought we would move him after the season.

The Blackhawks have a gap with Keith gone,

and are probably rebuilding now.

Id take Zadorov in a heartbeat for Schmidt.

I also wonder if Weber might move out of Montreal.

The next few days are going to be interesting.

Reports this AM are Weber’s injury is career ending.  Couple of tweets.  Somewhere in this mess of threads ;) 

3 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Reports this AM are Weber’s injury is career ending.  Couple of tweets.  Somewhere in this mess of threads ;) 

Bergevin already stated in presser that he believes Weber will not be playing next year at all, likely never again.

The Canucks are solid in a couple areas:
Top Line- Miller EP Boeser
Offensive D- Hughes, Rathbone
Starting Goalie- Demko
3rd Line- Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin, bit of gamble, but Pearson and Dickinson are both very solid defensively.
7th D- Juolevi

I think we need:
1 top 6 Winger to play with Horvat Hoglander
4 Line could improve, we have Rousel, Beagle, Motte, Highmore, MaCewan, Gadjovich. Any improvement here would be welcome
2 x Defensive RHD, 1 for Hughes, 1 for Rathbone
1 Defensive LHD to pair with Myers
Better backup than Holtby

Any move with Schmidt that checks off any of those boxes, or opens up cap room to do so is fine. We have a decent amount of cap to work with to get most of these moves done.

5 minutes ago, BCNate said:

The Canucks are solid in a couple areas:
Top Line- Miller EP Boeser
Offensive D- Hughes, Rathbone
Starting Goalie- Demko
3rd Line- Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin, bit of gamble, but Pearson and Dickinson are both very solid defensively.
7th D- Juolevi

I think we need:
1 top 6 Winger to play with Horvat Hoglander
4 Line could improve, we have Rousel, Beagle, Motte, Highmore, MaCewan, Gadjovich. Any improvement here would be welcome
2 x Defensive RHD, 1 for Hughes, 1 for Rathbone
1 Defensive LHD to pair with Myers
Better backup than Holtby

Any move with Schmidt that checks off any of those boxes, or opens up cap room to do so is fine. We have a decent amount of cap to work with to get most of these moves done.

I think this is the year for Juolevi to sink or swim. He looked good last year and did not play more because of call up restrictions.

I thought Juolevi looked good with Myers.

4th line we also have Lockwood who could be challenging for a spot.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Apropos of nothing, but going over the list of current UFA defensemen, there are a lot of ex-Canucks.....

Aside from the obvious, Edler and Hamonic, there's Jordie Benn, Eric Gudbranson, Ben Hutton, Luke Schenn, Alex Biega, Luca Sbisa, Derrick Pouliot (everyone's favorite), Taylor Fedun, Matt Bartkowski, Adam Clendening, Ashton Sautner, Michael Del Zotto and Jalen Chatfield....

The makings of a pretty solid ECHL lineup right there....B)

ngl.. I kinda want Guddy back at the salary Hamonic signed for last season lol. 

• Cheers 1

I know we still need to improve the D, and moving a stronger D doesn't help that specifically, but what about a move of Schmidt for Tarasenko?  Russian mentor who is an elite talent if healthy.  An elite talent without the health questions would be worth multiple firsts.  Essentially this would be like a 3rd because of what we paid for Schmidt and a low risk in my mind especially with only two years on Tarasenko's contract.

Then you specifically target the D through FA (Suter, Edler, Hamonic, Yandle, Niskanen etc etc) or by trade (Zadorov, Ristolainen etc etc).  Lots of options to fill the D, however rarely is the opportunity to get an elite talent (With some risk).

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson could probably be had for $1M maximum. As a 7th defenseman, he’d be ideal. Huge, hits hard, and is willing and capable of throwing down with anyone in the league. Would probably flourish under a Shaw run defense as a depth player. 

yeah he would be a perfect partner for Rathbone or Juolevi and make sure they don't get run at. 

Big Mac and Guddy policing for us would be great. and we have middleweights like Gadjovich and Roussel too. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

yeah he would be a perfect partner for Rathbone or Juolevi and make sure they don't get run at. 

Big Mac and Guddy policing for us would be great. and we have middleweights like Gadjovich and Roussel too. 

Exactly. People had issue with Gudbranson because he was overpaid for what he brought. I don’t see him cashing in anymore, based on how much he’s bounced around the league. That being said, as a physical player, when he’s engaged, very few players choose to tangle with him. 

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

We defs need a top-6 forward, but considering how leaky our defense was last season I’d be worried about losing Schmidt and not getting anyone of compatible caliber back to fill in for him. 

If Schmidt goes, another top 4 has to be coming back. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1