The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Management better be locked in a room with Peteys agent right now and Benning better swallow the key.

No coming out till you’ve got him signed!

Absolutely the entire future of this team revolves around petey. He is the one guy we can not screw around with.

• Like 1

Here's a link with some JB quotes and Dahlen's view on things. Everyone can speculate what's what and I don't think it's fair to blame JB for "fans" actions online, but no matter how you perceive it it isn't a good look for JB and he definitely should've been more diplomatic instead of commenting on Dahlen the way he did, true or not (it's probably not black and white either).

To be fair I think JB has gotten better and a bit more shrewd the last few years in his communication, but this is not one of his better moments.

https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Well seeing how much they gave Garland already, I would be a little concerned as well. Don't get me wrong Garland has skill, but in reality Pearson has scored more points in a season then Garland has yet, giving Garland that much already is a little alarming imo, so what is Petey getting that maybe a little concerning, Benning is notorious for over paying.

5 minutes ago, awalk said:

I mean he's 22 years old and has franchise to elite centerman potential but ok sure 

Sure.   Still doesn't mean he's earned it yet.   Has he?  8-9?  50% more then Miller is around 7.7.   No he hasn't.   I'm not a GM and do recognize that we need these players.   But i highly doubt we'd have done any better with Miller out and EP running the show last season, do you? 

4 minutes ago, Deets said:

So Dahlen wanted to leave the Canucks. Benning did his best to accommodate his wishes, and then social media coyotes went after Dahlen for quitting on the Canucks and their fans, but it's somehow Bennings fault? Now Pettersson is going to not sign with the Canucks because Benning gave his friend exactly what he wanted?

Jeez

It’s how a GM in a multi million business handles himself.

Jeez

• RoughGame 2

2 minutes ago, J-P said:

Here's a link with some JB quotes and Dahlen's view on things. Everyone can speculate what's what and I don't think it's fair to blame JB for "fans" actions online, but no matter how you perceive it it isn't a good look for JB and he definitely should've been more diplomatic instead of commenting on Dahlen the way he did, true or not (it's probably not black and white either).

To be fair I think JB has gotten better and a bit more shrewd the last few years in his communication, but this is not one of his better moments.

https://www.fearthefin.com/2019/2/27/18242765/2019-nhl-trade-deadline-jonathan-dahlen-vancouver-canucks-jim-benning-san-jose-sharks-barracuda

Bennings fanclub is going for my throat now. 
They really show who’s paying their salary.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 2

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure.   Still doesn't mean he's earned it yet.   Has he?  8-9?  50% more then Miller is around 7.7.   No he hasn't.   I'm not a GM and do recognize that we need these players.   But i highly doubt we'd have done any better with Miller out and EP running the show last season, do you? 

I personally believe so but it doesn't really matter, contracts signed years apart and under different circumstances aren't really comparable except regarding cap hit. 

E.g. Myers is not more valuable than Bo, Miller, Boeser or Demko.

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well seeing how much they gave Garland already, I would be a little concerned as well. Don't get me wrong Garland has skill, but in reality Pearson has scored more points in a season then Garland has yet, giving Garland that much already is a little alarming imo, so what is Petey getting that maybe a little concerning, Benning is notorious for over paying.

His contacts for core RFAs have been universally fair for both sides.  Which of Horvat, Boeser, Demko do you consider overpaid?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, J-P said:

Thanks for the link.

If anything, JB is not a diplomatic person.  Kinda tells the truth a bit too much.  Not a poker player for sure.  Could have handle it better but he's not wrong in his assessment.   Canucks felt Dahlen needed some improvement.  Dahlen camp thought otherwise.  Thus the trade.

And JB cannot be faulted for some stupid rabid fans trolling Dahlen.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Thanks for the link.

If anything, JB is not a diplomatic person.  Kinda tells the truth a bit too much.  Not a poker player for sure.  Could have handle it better but he's not wrong in his assessment.   Canucks felt Dahlen needed some improvement.  Dahlen camp thought otherwise.  Thus the trade.

And JB cannot be faulted for some stupid rabid fans trolling Dahlen.

NHL isn’t some hillbilly franchise.

A GM should know all the time what his words can be interpreted as. Especially the danger in them.

To just say he told the truth isn’t enough.

He has to tell the truth so no one get in harms way.

I don’t believe for one second that Benning is more honest than any other GM.

• RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

People are making out like petey is a 100 point player.  I love his game, but he's not even a ppg yet

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, J-P said:

Thank you. Some context.

Seems very mild.

Jim stated his opinion and I din't see it as a huge dig. 

What he implied though was that Dahlen wasnt ready. Dahlen claimed he felt the same after the trade...that he needed to develop more.

Strange that Dahlen said he 'didn't know' if he asked for a trade...?

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Bennings fanclub is going for my throat now. 
They really show who’s paying their salary.

Why you got rip people  asking you questions? That's weak. 

Nobody is going for your throat. Some disagree with you, some like myself didn't know the story.

Although, I now, after getting caught up disagree.. Dahlen is a grown man he will be ok. Smart move to get off Social Media too, that crap is toxic.