The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jake Virtanen signs with HC Spartak Moscow (KHL)

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

One of his new teammates is EP's brother. Wierd. 

I wonder how many games and practices it takes before Jake, the wonder wizard, makes the connection between Petey and his brother.  Seriously, Jake is playing with a short deck.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder how many games and practices it takes before Jake, the wonder wizard, makes the connection between Petey and his brother.  Seriously, Jake is playing with a short deck.  

Pettersson has 3 goals in 3 games. Pretty good start.…. watch Virtanen accidentally take him out in practice.

• Haha 2

After seven failed seasons as property of the Vancouver Canucks, I was trying to think about something positive about Virtanen...this is all I've got:

Virtanen in Moscow where vodka is cheaper than water...yah, that's not a disaster in the making.  Kevin Epp will be cleaning up yet another car wreck with Jake at the wheel.

44 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

He will eventually make it back to the NHL . If he were truly in trouble with the law I don’t know how you swing going to Russia.

I’m guessing he will look like an all star in the KHL

How will he make it back? His work ethic? Hockey sense? Character? Conditioning? A lot would have to change to even warrant  PTO. 

14 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Man, for those of us who had so much hope for him as a Canuck there’s gonna be some serious egg on the face when he’s a middle 6 player in Russia :lol:

All those years of defending his poor offseason habits, when it was a peak through the window at his character. I definitely feel bad for believing in him, but I am more disappointed at how far gone he was (allegedly). Being a bad player is one thing, but potentially being a bad human. Geez.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Alcoholism and a lack of respect for women. That's a bad combo.

We tried to make him into a player and he didn't have the motivation to be better; In any way from the sounds of it. You'd think getting bought out and having to go to Russia would finally wake him up.

I backed him for a long time, but another 7 women bringing forward complaints was the final straw for me. One person's word against another is one thing but not that many. I think he deserves an emoji way more than Loui does.

I assume it would be some variation of:

Poop-Emoji-300x294-1.jpg?fit=300,294&ssl

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

I can imagine him going there even more unprepared than normal just thinking that he is in a lower league and just float around while still being the best player.

I honestly think you guys are overrating him. He's going to be trash in the KHL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This is actually a neat test case for how good the KHL is compared to other leagues. We know Jakes strengths and weaknesses really well, so I'm very interested to see how he performs. It might tell us something about how to judge KHL playing time for our prospects. 

49 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

I honestly think you guys are overrating him. He's going to be trash in the KHL.

I didn’t say he was going to be the best player… I said he is not going to prepare himself because he will just “think” he can waltz in there, dominate, and be a star.

I think he will be even less prepared than normal. 

• Cheers 1

Probably a good thing for him to get away from it all. Likely not his first choice, but most likely the only serious option (KHL) at this point. I hope to see him back in the NHL 1-2 years from now. If not, I doubt he’ll be back at all.

23 hours ago, JM_ said:

This is actually a neat test case for how good the KHL is compared to other leagues. We know Jakes strengths and weaknesses really well, so I'm very interested to see how he performs. It might tell us something about how to judge KHL playing time for our prospects. 

All things being equal his play in the KHL would be a good gauge. Because of what has happened to him I think he could really learn to bear down or maybe we never hear of him again. Who knows. 

I will continue to reserve judgement on Jake's off ice issues until more info is released from the investigations. Prejudging someone is not fair. If these accusations are never proven then he was done a disservice. If they are based on fact then he should be charged. From the hockey perspective I am hoping Jake is one of the last prospects that is rushed onto the Canuck roster because the team was desperate for a savior. Jake and McCann were asked to do that and it hurt their careers. Jake's development had as much to say about the Canuck org as it did Jake himself.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/7/2021 at 10:06 PM, rekker said:

How will he make it back? His work ethic? Hockey sense? Character? Conditioning? A lot would have to change to even warrant  PTO. 

I want to think that going to the KHL would be a wake up call for Virtanen. 

But I'm not so sure about it. Worse case scenario is that he bumbles his way throughout the KHL and gets cut even there, and then bumbles his way across various other hockey leagues around the world. 

I think an NHL team does eventually pick him up for dirt cheap, and for cheap depth. He can still skate which is always a bonus, he just can't do anything else very well. He doesn't hit, he doesn't shoot much, and if he does, he seems to always miss the damn net. His hockey IQ isn't very high, so I'm not sure where he would slot in other than for injury or depth for a team. And even then, it might be suspect. I think eventually, he makes it home back to Abbotsford and plays for the Abby Canucks. 

At least, at that time in his career, he can say he's still a Canuck :bigblush:

• Cheers 1