The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

32 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

It's not maybe. J.B. confirmed in his radio interviews that wasting a season is not an option. He stressed how during his season ending interviews with players and staffs that they told him how last season was very upsetting. Obviously J.B. did not disclose the actual words uttered by the players and coaches. It all make sense now why he promised to be aggressive during the offseason. 

Cheers Maddogy...  

Absolutely, and it makes total sense...

Without doubt the players or their agents have advised the management, how they see it and more importantly, how they feel about it all...

Screw losing. Lets win some hockey games... Cmon you Nucks....

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Either 3 years or 6+ years. If he wants a 4 year contract that takes him straight to UFA status in the shortest amount of time possible he can pound sand.

Or another team just casually walks in offers 7.5-8x4. Match we are screwed with terms. Don't match we get minimal return with a 1st 2nd and 3rd

• RoughGame 1

28 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Or another team just casually walks in offers 7.5-8x4. Match we are screwed with terms. Don't match we get minimal return with a 1st 2nd and 3rd

So you are a NHL G.M. You are a member of the old boys club of hockey dudes.  You are tendering Pettersson this offer sheet which you know Vancouver will match and thus the only purpose is to screw the lowly Canucks who at this point are not even a threat to your team's chances to win the Cup. Why? So 31 other G.M.'s will think you are an A-hole and watch out for you or worse screw you down the road? 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 4

36 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

So you are a NHL G.M. You are a member of the old boys club of hockey dudes.  You are tendering Pettersson this offer sheet which you know Vancouver will match and thus the only purpose is to screw the lowly Canucks who at this point are not even a threat to your team's chances to win the Cup. Why? So 31 other G.M.'s will think you are an A-hole and watch out for you or worse screw you down the road? 

Match and trade him to Buffalo.

• Haha 1

Apparently there's a disagreement with the Term. 

Jim - We love you Petey, you know, you're our bright and shiny star. We'd like to lock you up for 8 years, we'll pay you what you want.

Petey - VAN has never won and I am not a fan of this. Eight years is too long here, especially if there is not playoffs. I'll take $27 million over 3 years, and then I'll decide what I'll do, depending if the Canucks go deep into the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'll take $27 million over 3 years,

Not from me, he won't; at least not on this deal.

$7.5 is absolute top for this deal, imo.

Elias is likely to be a very special player, and hopefully will be a Canuck for a long time; however he is not a $9 mill per guy as of yet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

oh isn't the goal for GM to screw each other to increase ur chance of winning a cup? GM don't last long enough in this league to care what a team will try to do to you in the future lol. why would the other 30 GM care about what you do to 1 team? as long as it's not to them they can care less and they'll cross that bridge when they get there. 

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

oh isn't the goal for GM to screw each other to increase ur chance of winning a cup? GM don't last long enough in this league to care what a team will try to do to you in the future lol. why would the other 30 GM care about what you do to 1 team? as long as it's not to them they can care less and they'll cross that bridge when they get there. 

…and yet not a single offer sheet since Aho in 2019.

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, Benning has let that bit about loyalty go away with Tanev and Stecher. 

The leader lead by example... 

But Petey thinks OEL will help the team to win a lot of games so he is positive about this season. 

I believe Toffoli was also quite popular and a few of his teammates didn’t appreciate us letting him go. At the end of the day it’s a business, however these are also real people. Losing teammates that you developed chemistry and friendship with, although part of the business, can still have a negative impact on morale, and how the players view the organization in general. 

• Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

huh. I wonder if the blow back has been more than they thought? seems like some damage control here. 

I think it's exactly what Barry said. I don't think this was some premeditated chess move, even though that's a juicier angle.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Why would you burn bridges like that?  You'll hamper yourself from making trades with the other GMs.  The Goal is not to screw each other.  That's what fans want.  The purpose for each GM is to make their team better by making fair deals.  You screw with a team specifically, you lose credibility, also if you lose your job, that team isn't going to hire you.  It's a "boys" club.  whatever you do to the other teams, all the GMS take notice.  If you don't think that, you have been living under a rock.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3