The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Which gives me all the more respect to Benning for blocking out the noise and holding firm like he did with Horvat and Boeser before (amongst other RFAs) and locking them into very reasonable deals.

With that said, there's no need to put the anger towards the players as well. Just have to let the process sort itself out. We will see if the players care more about playing and wanting the money. Boeser's comment about it being tough to watch during negotiations seem to show that he cared more about getting back on the ice with the boys and signed a very reasonable contract.

Benning has done a great job blocking out the noise. Think of the Arizona trade, critics wanted this to be another 2-3 years of rebuilding, but he recognized correctly where the team was at in its cycle - that it's time to push right now.

And these contract negotiations only reinforce all that IMO. If the only long term deal for Petey is 6 years, and that's the only thing they'll agree too (seems to be the way of the new star players) then you can't waste anymore time. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Travis Hamonic situation! Do you think the Canucks are waiting on him by friday to see if he plays because of covid vaccine? So they can save additional 3mill in cap hit. So we can sign pettersson and Hughes on long term contracts.? Would that make our 16m cap space to 19 mill instead? Maybe al blessing in disguise?

It could be a silver lining for sure. I think best case is still having Hamonic. Who knows if they'll agree to 8 year deals right now at a reasonable number. 

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Kinda curious, as a fan would you be prepared to start the season without Petey and Huggy if it meant getting a better deal? Or are you dead set on must have them there for the first day of the season at all costs?

Part of me is already prepared to look at lines that don't feature Petey and Huggy for a while.

10-15 games is recoverable and gives valuable NHL minutes to both Rathbone and OJ.  We only start to play chicken when we start to slip 2-3 games below .500 after the 10 game mark.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

it's actually blinded by his compulsive need to go against the grain that he's exhibited unceasingly for the last 15 years. 

It's fueled by the reality of paying two mostly unproven players that much of the cap is the closing of the window to win.  I want to see this team win and emulating the Leafs isn't the way to do it.

If Petey and Hughes want that kind of dough they need to prove a helluva lot more than they have to this point.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Okay, I'm no longer concerned about Petey and Quinn.

Read an article (from last week), and a quote from Boeser:  "It's all about finding a fair deal for both sides. We all know they want to be here and be here for a while, so I'm not too worried about it. I've been in touch with them a bit here and there to see how they're doing and I think they'll be here soon. They'll be ready to go."

I trust what Brock says on this matter a whole lot more than some dweeb on Twitter

If they could just sign for 1m less each so boes can get his raise next year that would be greatB)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

I'd rather players take a small sacrifice so overall the team can be better.

It would be nice, sure; however, if you expect it, that's on you in my opinion. It's their lives in the end. Not yours.

Players have every right to choose if they want to earn money or make less money for the team. They worked hard to get where they are and we're mere fans in the end. It makes just as much sense for them to want to earn a paycheck as it does you wanting them to take a paycut. ;)

Edited by The Lock

33 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Canuck luck would be to get them both on massive 8 year deals and for them to have already peaked or became injury prone lol

Canucks have actually had a pretty great track record when it comes to contracts for their star players. 

26 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It would be nice, sure; however, if you expect it, that's on you in my opinion. It's their lives in the end. Not yours.

Players have every right to choose if they want to earn money or make less money for the team. They worked hard to get where they are and we're mere fans in the end. It makes just as much sense for them to want to earn a paycheck as it does you wanting them to take a paycut. ;)

I think we have a different definition of "paycut"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bbllpp said:

10-15 games is recoverable and gives valuable NHL minutes to both Rathbone and OJ.  We only start to play chicken when we start to slip 2-3 games below .500 after the 10 game mark.

Yep. These are elite athletes who have practiced and played at a high level for many years. Not your average beer swilling, online forum surfing, armchair quarterback. ;)

8 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Spending too much on the team's best player has not worked out for many many teams in the playoffs. 

Totally agree but you have to go back to the origin of my statement.  I was replying to the fact that QH would not be my priority over EP if we had to choose one of them.  If EP wants $9-10M, I would make him sit out to think about it a bit longer.

54 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Canuck luck would be to get them both on massive 8 year deals and for them to have already peaked or became injury prone lol

That's always the risk with an 8-year signing or similar.  Personally, I'd be okay with a short-term contract even with a higher overall cap hit over the years.  It's insurance for the team and the cap will go up anyway.  This team struggled with LE's 6 year $6M contract.  Can you imagine an injured EP for 8 years at $10M?

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Benning has done a great job blocking out the noise. Think of the Arizona trade, critics wanted this to be another 2-3 years of rebuilding, but he recognized correctly where the team was at in its cycle - that it's time to push right now.

And these contract negotiations only reinforce all that IMO. If the only long term deal for Petey is 6 years, and that's the only thing they'll agree too (seems to be the way of the new star players) then you can't waste anymore time. 

3 or less or 6 to 8 years are fine. It's the 4 and 5 year deals that make little sense.

6 years for Hughes especially would actually work fine. Coincide perfectly with OEL coming off the books and keep the bridge manageable by not covering as many expensive years.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Six is fine because at least then OEL is off the books and you buy a couple years of UFA.  If he wants 4 or 5 he can enjoy playing in Buffalo.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

There’s still almost two weeks of pre season… and the big Hamonic decision at the end of the week.  I wish the deal could have been done yesterday but looks like we’re at least going into the weekend before it gets done.  Ah well - been fun to see some of the young / new guys get a little extra ice / different roles.

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

3 or less or 6 to 8 years are fine. It's the 4 and 5 year deals that make little sense.

6 years for Hughes especially would actually work fine. Coincide perfectly with OEL coming off the books and keep the bridge manageable by not covering as many expensive years.

and i'll say this again 3 years means nothing as if they don't want to be here they'll go abitration and get a 1 year and leave signing them to 3 years doesn't mean you have any better chance at keeping them if they don't want to be here

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

and i'll say this again 3 years means nothing as if they don't want to be here they'll go abitration and get a 1 year and leave signing them to 3 years doesn't mean you have any better chance at keeping them if they don't want to be here

And at that point you trade them to Buffalo or somewhere else undesirable.

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Six is fine because at least then OEL is off the books and you buy a couple years of UFA.  If he wants 4 or 5 he can enjoy playing in Buffalo.

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If you could keep it under 8M per at 6 (Hughes) I'd definitely pursue it.

Its hard because emotionally you want to keep these guys as Canucks for as long as possible (and not risk them leaving), but also keep them at numbers that allow this core a chance to win the cup.

Its a delicate balancing act.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s a weak argument.

Like GMs actually value a player based on how close to the net they score their goals.

I could also post countless goals with Petey scoring in and around the net but we all know he scores from everywhere.

He can, for sure.  However, teams are figuring him out and how to keep him to the outside and force him to pass rather than shoot.  To say otherwise, I think, is ignoring reality.