The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Travis Green Thread to end all Travis Green Threads

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

You have to be objective, the defence pairs for the most part played well enough to win. Somehow the D men are not tuning out the coach. Our goalies are good. Defence is decent. Bottom 6 forwards are working their butts off. It’s some of the top 6 forwards that are $&!#ting their pants.

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

And even if he gets fired mid-season, a new coach would not have time to teach a new system.

Regardless, middle season coaching changes can turn a sub-par team into a solid contender and it's been shown to work in the past in these kind of situations. The players wanting to play for you is a big thing, and firing a bad coach can be like taking off shackles for some players. If they waste the whole season I'm going to be upset.

Edited by Kurgom
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Here's the bad news:

Green has just been signed to a two year extension.

So the earliest I think he gets fired is end of season.

And even if he gets fired mid-season, a new coach would not have time to teach a new system.

Green should have been gone in the summer to give a new coach time to put his ideas into practice.

If we're out of playoffs by more than 2 wins at US Thanksgiving I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone. Francisco wants playoffs and ticket sales after the covid years. Both are at jeopardy right now if this play continues. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

If we are still below .500 by the end of November, Benning and Green should lose their jobs.

They have gotten more rope than virtually anyone else in the league and aside from a short blip in the bubble, the team has been pretty terrible for years.

This is pretty much the team we have going forward for a long time due to contract terms and salaries, so there aren’t a lot of levers to push for different results.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

If we are still below .500 by the end of November, Benning and Green should lose their jobs.

They have gotten more rope than virtually anyone else in the league and aside from a short blip in the bubble, the team has been pretty terrible for years.

This is pretty much the team we have going forward for a long time due to contract terms and salaries, so there aren’t a lot of levers to push for different results.

I believe Benning did all he could to improve this team. The BIGGEST mistake was to extend Green. I just don't understand WHY they had to extend him. Management as a whole is crap.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I believe Benning did all he could to improve this team. The BIGGEST mistake was to extend Green. I just don't understand WHY they had to extend him. Management as a whole is crap.

I agree Benning did well as far as player movements go but Green still being here is on him too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

You have to be objective, the defence pairs for the most part played well enough to win. Somehow the D men are not tuning out the coach. Our goalies are good. Defence is decent. Bottom 6 forwards are working their butts off. It’s some of the top 6 forwards that are $&!#ting their pants.

In fairness, more than half the D corps is new -> OEL, Poolman, Burroughs, Schenn.. 

Bottom 6 are doing good work with the dump and chase system - they're fast and physical enough to retrieve pucks and we don't expect them to set up that many scoring chances, so anything that sets up is a pleasant surprise. Plus they dont play as many minutes.

Dump and chase gives u a very low chance of setting up a great scoring chance.

Its extremely annoying that Green is forcing our top 6 into that mold and I completely understand why they're tuning him out. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Can’t generate offence without neutering the defence. And now can’t fix the defence without neutering the offence.

Getting sick of this nonsense. Coaching is huge. Look at how quickly the Islanders turned from laughingstock to contender, despite losing their most talented player. Look at how great the Flames are doing under Sutter. Just pull the plug already…

And I hate to say this in the current climate, but Quennville with Florida.

55 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Anybody who wants an answer to the OP's question should have been watching the Philly game closely.

At a certain point in the 3rd, you could see Brock Boeser on the bench, who is the most easy going guy in the world and a decent person, muttering to himself after Green said something stupid to him.

So if you think that was a nothing... ok.

I would like to go back and see that. 

48 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

Boeser was our best player in the last half of the third period, so maybe it worked. If we scored on a single PP we probably win or lose in a shootout. The PP has been atrocious for years now and some blame for it goes to green for sure.

What do you think of the bounce pass pp goal Philly did? That was pretty amazing for a visiting team eh

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What do you think of the bounce pass pp goal Philly did? That was pretty amazing for a visiting team eh

It's a sad state of affairs when an Eastern conference team has a better understanding of our arena than our multi year coaching staff.

• Haha 1