The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ideas for replacing Hamonic?

Rate this topic

DeepThoughts

56 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This, pretty much in the short term.  Maybe a long term solution comes of it.  You never know.

I think they haven't given up on Hamonic playing.  He may very well come to terms with his issues.  Waiving him is a pretty safe thing to do because nobody's going to bite on a $3M cap hit who isn't reporting and it gives them some cap relief.

Longer term, as I've posted elsewhere, I think Benning should be looking for opportunities to pick up right side help rather than trying to force the issue.  That would result in overpayment imo

we don't need a world beater in the role, just someone who can hold down the job.

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

NAS

Myers or Fabbro?

BUF

Miller or Jokiharju or Pysk?

OTT

Zaitsev or Zub?

Just spitballing on RHD from clubs that may be rebuilding and want to trade for picks and prospects. 

Zub.

but he is probably a part of the future there.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not very good options on that 3rd pairing. 

I reckon it will probably be like when we had Stecher and they will only play 13-15 minutes tops. Maybe a bit less considering we usually had a vet like Fanta/Benn there.

I'm interested to see what Juulsen can do. Doesn't look like a great option, but stylistically fits what we need in that role.

That said I agree overall the options don't look great, but I don't see much else out there.

OEL/Hughes are going to have to log most the minutes as you say.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Hunt is a pure AHLer.  If he plays games for us this year, we're in big trouble.

I think he's a legit depth NHL guy. At 7/8 on the depth chart he's fine.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Target Josh Manson and kick the tires.

1) Get Hamonic off the books via waivers + Hamonic failing to report to Abby.

2) Get Tyler Motte off the books.

Thats about 4.225 million in available cap space.  Manson is only 4.1 million with one year left.

The Canucks have drafted well enough to be able to afford to part ways with another 1st imo.  I know many will disagree, but we’ve drafted and developed at an elite level when you consider the fact that Horvat, Demko, Boeser, Pettersson, Rathbone, Hughes, Podkolzin, and Hoglander have all made this team.  Klimovich will likely be here in 1-2 seasons as well.   

OEL-Manson

Hughes-Poolman

Rathbone-Myers

Is a solid Defense.

If he doesn't report to Abby can his contract can be terminated?

I respect his choices but it's obvious Benning would have approached the off-season differently if Hamonic wasn't signed.

I to like Manson but have heard he has a 7 team NTC which might mean no Canadian teams? Plus the cost would be high.

Maybe it's me but our defense wasn't really the big issue in camp unless it was the reason our pk struggled? 

I worry more about Demko, he seems to be a slow starter and maybe should have had a couple more games since we knew Mikey was Abby bound.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Played 41 games last year of hard, near 60% dzone starts on a crappy team, PK time etc. 

He's exactly what we need playing +/-15 minutes a night and playing defense/PK. And a lot better than our other current options IMO.

Why hasn’t he landed anywhere then? Do you think it’s Personal reasons if it’s not for his playing ability 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Demers is the obvious UFA option if there's no concrete timeline on Hamonic

OEL, Myers

Hughes, Poolman

Rathbone, Demers

Hunt, Schenn

*Unless they feel there's someone suitable on waivers.

He could probably be had cheap at this point too, if he doesn't grab a seat soon he'll be left standing with his hands in his pockets. 

• Cheers 1

We’ll if we take some cap money and we throw it on a fire weve replace hamonic for this season. 

Id hate to see demeirs here he had his chance he said no and he wasn’t even that good….. 
Now that nobody wants him he’ll come, f that. Have fun in Russia. 

16 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Why hasn’t he landed anywhere then? Do you think it’s Personal reasons if it’s not for his playing ability 

No idea.

Maybe Covid reasons like Hamonic? Maybe he was hoping a specific team or two team would give him an offer and he's been rebuffing other offers? Could be a litany of reasons. 

Curious what the price would be to get Josh Manson out of ANA. Final year of his deal, tough RHD who shouldn't cost a tonne to get. (He does have a 12 team no trade list).

Hoping Hamonic is able to return for us at some point and that everything in his personal life will be ok. As it stands our RD is super thin and a glaring weakness. Demko will need to channel his inner bubble boy if we want a shot at playoffs. Thank goodness the P. div is shaping up to be the weakest in the league.

Calgary is going to crash and bang burn this year and we will poach Tanev back from them in exchange for Schenn and a 2nd round pick once they start selling off and finally embrace the rebuild. 

Is the province talking out there downstairs hole? They're saying it's vaccination related reasons for his not coming here:

The Province: Canucks put training camp no-show Travis Hamonic on waivers.
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-put-travis-hamonic-on-waivers-as-team-reduces-roster-ahead-of-season-opener

18 minutes ago, KILLER said:

Is the province talking out there downstairs hole? They're saying it's vaccination related reasons for his not coming here:

The Province: Canucks put training camp no-show Travis Hamonic on waivers.
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-put-travis-hamonic-on-waivers-as-team-reduces-roster-ahead-of-season-opener

JB on his presser today on 650 said it was worse than people think re the “personal reasons”. Highly doubt its vaccine related. Something bad has or is happening that they will not release….

Edited by grandmaster