The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your favourite Canuck related memory or experience?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

2014 Heritage Classic game, its one of my favorite and least favorite memory as a canucks fan. 

Favorite: I don't live in BC so going to games in Vancouver really isn't an option for me but me and a couple buddies bought flights to Vancouver and ticket packages for the game. We got a hotel room, tickets to the game, pre game party and we got to go on the ice after the game. There are lots of stories from that trip that I will never forget and some I likely shouldn't share here but all in all a great time with good friends. 

Least: Lu was one of my favorite Canucks during the contending years. I am a big fan of goalies and high character people and Lu fit the bill for both. When I found out he wasn't playing that day I was pretty upset and had an idea of what the fallout was going to be. In fact, I had my buddy take a picture of me sitting in the exact spot Lu sat all game. Oh, and an "outdoor" heritage classic, played indoors with all the crappy fake snow around the ice. Don't know why but fake winter just didn't sit right with me. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Lot's of memories...

Dad taking me to my 1st game at the Pacific Colosseum, it was against the Blackhawks and Tony Esposito was in net for the Hawks!

94 cup run - when it ended, best friend and I headed downtown in my 94 Geo Tracker - top off, music loud, waving my goalie stick in the air - it was fun - until some people started rioting - left before the cops rolled in.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

The 2011 Stanley Cup Final run was amazing.

I love the 2019-20 season as well. Especially the bubble playoffs. August of 2020 was the most fun I had watching hockey since 2011. Not sure when we will get this level of excitement again.

Having looked back on the 2020 run recently, I'm just realizing now how great that was, even though it was only 2.5 rounds long. We really had some strong performers in that run and it was a blast.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

For the sake of having something that isn't dreary or related to injuries or firing someone let's try something different? CDC's got a broad age range amongst it's users so I'm sure we'll get some neat stuff here. 

My favourite experience was probably meeting Willie Mitchell and Kirk McLean in Nanaimo for some hockey related event back in 2017. Morrison was there too but I can't remember whether I had a chance to meet him or not. I live on the island and don't leave it much so my chances to meet Canucks are pretty slim, Mitchell's still a massive dude and looked like he could play pro hockey if he wanted to. The only other experience that comes to mind was my single Canucks game during the mid 2010's against Nashville, those were some rough times but they came out with a win! 

Game 5 in 2011 against San Jose.   

We watched the game at the CBC on W. Georgia and Hamilton.  The fans were crazy and the atmosphere was electric.  Even though San Jose was up 2-1 with less than 2 minutes ago, I, for whatever reason, felt very confident that we were going to tie it up.   Of course, We were shocked and cheered when Kesler actually did score, but still... :-p.    Then, the Bieksa goal happened and everyone went nuts.  I was high fiving random strangers and vice-versa.  We accidentally caught the wrong sky train and was going south on the Canada line to Richmond, but the people were going crazy.  Went back North and more craziness on the skytrain as people were drinking and doing shots on the sky train and cheering.   Finally got on the correct Millennium line and even more craziness.  A tourist who was visiting from Wisconsin was completely blown away (in a good way) by the atmosphere and asked me if the city was always like this?    

We met with the rest of our boys near Edmonds skytrain and partied the whole night.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

It was an 8 or so game losing streak, when Kesler was battling like a madman along the boards in the defensive zone to get the puck. He then banks it off the boards around his check, to Burrows on the move, who moves in on a breakaway with his patented forehand-to-backhand-to- roof move to get (what I believe was) the game winner against Carolina, snapping the losing streak.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

That celly after where he pretends to break his stick is permanently enshrined in my memory.

Thanks for bring back some solid memories! Shorty's and Cheech's commentary on that play was amazing! 

... Kesler pokes it ahead ... here's Burrows, SHORTHANDED, innnnn SCORES!!! *snapping the stick over his knee* Bedlam at G.M. Place! :towel:

What a treat to watch it again - Shorty's classic goal-scoring call, Cheech's colour duties, Burrs and his patented forehand-backhand-roof, and Kes being KesLord B)

Edited by Harvey Specter
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Not one memory but this Era:

These guys were so entertaining. Unstoppable. Be of the best lines ever in the NHL IMO. So entertaining.

I’m sure if he could change the result of what happened he would. Fans really got behind him & it is another favorite memory:

Edited by #Canucks
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

I met my childhood idol, Kirk McLean, in person in Saskatoon in the bar I worked. Super nice fellow, t'was awesome. I've still got his O-Pee-Chee rookie card. Capt. Kirk in '94..The Save, just a beast.

Winning the '04 NW Division Title was awesome, and the 7 Game Series against the 'Lames was epic, despite the outcome. Coming from behind in '94 from down 3-1 to the 'Lames was amazing, as was that entire Cup run...except the outcome of course. Winning the '09 NW Div was huge, big come from behind that season and IIRC they beat the 'Lames to claim the title from the 'Lames

Watching Linden get drafted...I was just a wee lad, but it was exciting AF. Watching Gretzky pass Howe with a beauty goal against Cpt Kirk was sweet, especially cuz' the 'Nucks won 6-3. Daniel's thru the legs goal on Kipper to secure the NHL scoring title, Burr slays the dragon, Bieksa's OT against the Sharks...way too many Bure goals to count, especially '94 Double OT winner against the 'Lames.

Just so many, I can't even list them all TBH. Lotta memories...just missing one, and my collection will be complete.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, SergioMomesso said:

Taking a leak at the Roxy one night and low and behold There's Harold Druken right beside me slurring "hows it going bud?" as he stumbles into the urinal almost face planting himself into said urinal. And in Comes Jason Strudwick to carry him to their table. Strudwick notices me at the bar and makes his way to me and apologizes to me for Drukens drunkin state. It was quite the Canuck memory for me.

Harold Drunken lol.   Strudwick...not sure if i'd recognize him without those blue mouth guards lol...ahhh. Those days weren't all bad. 

Edited by IBatch

the 2011 run was epic. Still recovering in some ways :lol:

I think meeting Ohlund was the best experience, very nice and humble guy, just like you'd think. Also meeting Brock was fun too, pretty shy kid at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1