The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

We pretty much know by heart the talking points on all sides of this issue.  Seems like nobody's made an original observation in this thread during this calendar year.   Just down to who yells longest and loudest, or most convincingly (to themselves) claims to read Miller's or management's minds.  As if our arguments based on incomplete information were going to make something happen. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably why they’re not getting any calls. 

Should be interesting to see how that pans out. Hopefully it’s not a crippling deal if he does re-sign. 

It’s probably a good thing he’s having a career year this year and not next.

I don’t expect him to replicate this next year. Which, however you look at it. It’s unfortunate because his trade value will probably decrease, but we’ll be able to re-sign him at a cheaper cost.

18 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Millzy is 29 hes a power forward with not many in the game that can do what he does 

ive said it before look at the age of some of the past 5+ years scoring leaders there is alot in there 30s as i said front load a 5-6 year deal that tapers out towards the end yaya “look a loui at 6 x 6” ya but millzy is not loui at all his leadership on his own is more valuble then just goals and assists 

for me i would love to see a heart on the sleeve captain i dont understand the silent quiet captains weve had for the past decade im more for the loud in the room type caps no disrespect to bo but i need more emotion 

That's why I loved it when Smyl was Captain. He'd go to war for the team. 

Just now, SilentSam said:

His enthusiasm alone is one criteria that not many bring,.  Even if this present type of point production drops off,  it’s not going to “zero”.

40-50 pts per year,  with his type of leadership is work 7m alone.

I'd have zero issues with $7m, but that's never going to happen, so it's a moot point

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Why do the Rangers or anybody else need a depreciating asset like Miller?

a single Cup Run??

omg

2 cup runs for a player only making 5.2 million but gives you the value of a 10 million dollar player. NYR shouldn’t be in on this because I don’t think they’re good enough. But the top teams in the league should all be very interested. I think this thread is all for nothing now that we’ve gotten pretty close to a playoff spot and Millers asking price likely being too high for any team to meet the trade ask.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

But the premise to where you're thinking JT Miller would even be signing such a contract is what I mean by "fear'. It also seems to assume that we'd actually be willing to sign that contract. Given the new management hasn't even signed A contract like at all, this, to me, sounds like fear.

You can talk about what happens to players in their 30's all you want and you'd be right, but it completely dodges what I'm saying rather than facing what I'm saying head on. It doesn't address what I'm talking about.

I don't even understand what you are trying to say.

If you don't think management is going to sign Miller to a new market level contract... then we should absolutely be trading him now instead of letting him walk for nothing as you are saying it is just fear mongering to suggest they will actually sign him to a new contract.  If you think we should be scared of signing him to a contract and that it should cause fear... then what the hell are you arguing?

It is just wishful thinking that Miller is going to agree to sign at a big discount to sign here.  That almost never happens, and he has never suggested any such thing.

49 minutes ago, shiznak said:

It’s probably a good thing he’s having a career year this year and not next.

I don’t expect him to replicate this next year. Which, however you look at it. It’s unfortunate because his trade value will probably decrease, but we’ll be able to re-sign him at a cheaper cost.

I don’t think they risk waiting till closer to the 2023 off-season to re-sign Miller. If they extend him they do it this upcoming off-season. 

That way you have Miller tied up before moving out a Boeser or a Garland. Miller might think twice about re-signing if we trade out quality guys for cap space and future pieces beforehand. They can then plan ahead. 

2 hours ago, Darius said:

ive generally agree with you that the most logical move would be to trade Miller for a return that will set this team up for the next decade.

But im starting to question my position that this team is a few years away from being a true contender.  Are we that far off?  To me it looks like they are a top 4 D, and maybe a couple players that add toughness up front while being able to put up 3rd line production, away from taking the next step and challenging the top teams.

Theres a lot of good offence up front, goaltending is excellent, 4th line is the best weve had in a decade.  Can they push the envelope with this group by adding?  

How many Miller calibre players have we had in 50 years? 

This group is making it really hard to decide what to do!

We had 2 in 2011 and it wasn’t enough. Just saying.

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don't even understand what you are trying to say.

If you don't think management is going to sign Miller to a new market level contract... then we should absolutely be trading him now instead of letting him walk for nothing as you are saying it is just fear mongering to suggest they will actually sign him to a new contract.  If you think we should be scared of signing him to a contract and that it should cause fear... then what the hell are you arguing?

It is just wishful thinking that Miller is going to agree to sign at a big discount to sign here.  That almost never happens, and he has never suggested any such thing.

I didn't say whether or not I felt management was going to sign Miller or not. I don't know whether we will or not yet, but I will say that there's not much point in trading a player who's playing well above his contract, which we still have next year. Basically, I don't know if we're sign him or not yet. That depends on him. That depends on management. That depends on factors we don't know.

I didn't even say anything about a big discount. Where did I say that? Look back at my comments. I'd like to know. I mentioned that some players have in the past in the same paragraph as I stated some players go for as much money as they can. I said there is a wide spectrum of possibilities.

So, I'm saying thinking he won't sign here is premature. Thinking he will sign here is also premature. All we know is we have a top player in the leauge right now on an amazing contract who's contract expires, not even at the end of this year, but next year. Anything else is speculation and not stuff we should be making trades based off of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

@stawns, I noticed you didn't address my previous clip of Boudreau praising Miller's leadership, but maybe you saw Boudreau's presser last night at the 50 second mark talking about Miller? https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postgame--boudreau-vs-canadiens/t-277437438/c-10867831 

I never said he wasn't a leader, he clearly is.  However, he's not a guy I'd ever have as a captain.  

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

That's why I loved it when Smyl was Captain. He'd go to war for the team. 

Smyl would never smash his stick against the boards in frustration, he'd never, ever quit on a play and you'd never ever hear him scream obscentities on the ice.  Smyl was Linden's mentor and they were very similar captains, much like Bo.........miller is not that

• Like 1