The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don't Expect Big Changes Anytime Soon ( Article).

Rate this topic

cuporbust

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Eh, personally I'd prefer turfing Green, Baumer, and King, and at least removing the cancer from the organization.  We're better off without a coach at all than allowing those incompetent clowns to continue to destroy the team.

lol i wonder if there's a way to hire a interim coach tilll the end of year and tell him they'll let the new gm evaluate whether he's the right guy for the HC or not and if not move him to another position within the club. Manchester united just hired an interim manager for the rest of the season with the intention of moving him to a different position within the club as they look for a long term replacement. i rather something like that then have shaw take over as he's part of the current coaching staff that isn't able to get anything out of the team so i prefer a completely new voice to be the HC. we can retain shaw as assistant that i don't mind but i honestly don't see shaw to be any better option than green. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

They can promote Shaw as an interim coach while they look for a permanent option though.  Green is causing permanent damage with his gross incompetence and there is no excuse for allowing him to continue to disgrace the organization.

I agree with the first sentence.   That's it.  Green will get another job, for his sake i hope it's a decent team this time.   Shaw might not even want the job who knows, but i agree that change is required and hope the owners hire a President.   It's the correct first step.   Let the president do a full evaluation of the team, and the management group.   And find the right GM for the next phase of the teams development (at this point almost certainly a re-set) who can hire the coach etc.    IF the interim coach is doing a good job then maybe keep him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, combover said:

Pretty lame for the team to be searching and getting permission to talk to other coaches while they leave Green and the team twirling in the wind. 
terrible ownership/ management  and a horrible way to treat an employee. 
if he’s done fire him if not more say so 

this kind of garbage  is why high quality people won’t work for this ownership. 

im sure green is super motivated knowing Scott walker is an option to replace him:picard:

reminds me of how this ownership treated Louie when they were over him.

it’s become more and more evident there is really only one way to get this club back on track and that’s if they sell the team. 

It’s clear  FA doesn’t have the mental capacity to be in charge. 

#SELLTHETEAM 

I hope that’s the chant 

or

#fireAquallini 

Sell the team to whom?   Move it where?  Best thing about these owners is they spend to the cap.   Worst thing - no President and too much "daily communication" with the GM.   Fire the whole staff eventually, but do it smart.   We don't need new owners, we just need them to stop meddling if that's even occurring.   Supposition that makes sense given JB comments ... constant communication is some scary stuff.    It is their team though, and he's far from the worst owner out there.   We should be happy it's not Orca entertainment still or we'd be visiting this team in Seattle.    Quebec is looking for a team right now .... sure you want them to sell the team? 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sell the team to whom?   Move it where?  Best thing about these owners is they spend to the cap.   Worst thing - no President and too much "daily communication" with the GM.   Fire the whole staff eventually, but do it smart.   We don't need new owners, we just need them to stop meddling if that's even occurring.   Supposition that makes sense given JB comments ... constant communication is some scary stuff.    It is their team though, and he's far from the worst owner out there.   We should be happy it's not Orca entertainment still or we'd be visiting this team in Seattle.    Quebec is looking for a team right now .... sure you want them to sell the team? 

Who said anything about moving it. 
This team changed hand plenty of times and hasn’t moved. 
remove FA from his position give it to one of the other brothers.

They are actively looking at new coaches but instead of removing green they are letting him and the team get pumped with negativity. They re going to fire him “ do it smart” so promote a losing negative environment for fans coaches and players by leaving a lame duck guy the players don’t even need to try to listen to since they know he’s gone. 
so I guess fans don’t need to go to games while they “ do it right” players need not show up. 
it’s a stupid way to do things and it’s poor management and it’s borderline cruel. 
it what you’d do if you want to try to get someone to quit so you don’t have to pay them out. 
FA is and has been the problem 

His brothers have not. 

Aqulini was clearly caught flat footed, but thats what happens when you try to run an NHL team like a lean family run construction business.

Its interesting that they looked at and passed on Julien a while ago, makes me think his salary demand to be here was too high. But thats also why I think we are now hearing there's no timeline, because no one has any other personal contacts.

Mellanby is a curious name tho for potential PHO... he has a history here and that seems to drive who gets the jobs here.

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

They can promote Shaw as an interim coach while they look for a permanent option though.  Green is causing permanent damage with his gross incompetence and there is no excuse for allowing him to continue to disgrace the organization.

Yes, this is my opinion as well. Green should be fired ASAP. And King and Baumer should be fired as well. 

• Vintage 1

It’s a very dumb situation when you have a gm who know he’s on his way out and he is still gm of the team. What’s the point of keeping him on as gm if he can’t make trades and can’t hire a new coach? It just tells me that ownership doesn’t have plans to remove him as gm. He’s basically a lame duck gm if he can’t do things a gm would normally do. Same goes for Green, if they are looking for someone else why is he still here? If Benning continues on then I really won’t expect much success from the organization. I think the owners want to keep him as gm because they can be as involved as they want and influence his decisions and with a new and qualified gm they won’t be able to do that. That’s why they may keep him. They really have to learn the hard and stupid way. Mistake after mistake.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

The very least you can do is fire Green and have Shaw as an interim coach. To at least signal to the org and fanbase that this losing is unacceptable. 

The more this bleeds. The more likely players will want out and we may have no choice but to full rebuild.

Edited by DSVII

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s a very dumb situation when you have a gm who know he’s on his way out and he is still gm of the team. What’s the point of keeping him on as gm if he can’t make trades and can’t hire a new coach? It just tells me that ownership doesn’t have plans to remove him as gm. He’s basically a lame duck gm if he can’t do things a gm would normally do. Same goes for Green, if they are looking for someone else why is he still here? If Benning continues on then I really won’t expect much success from the organization. I think the owners want to keep him as gm because they can be as involved as they want and influence his decisions and with a new and qualified gm they won’t be able to do that. That’s why they may keep him. They really have to learn the hard and stupid way. Mistake after mistake.

I don't think Aqua wants any day to day involvement. Its not easy to find a good GM and its going to take what it takes.

Mellanby does throw a new wrinkle in, people in the org know him and he was being considered as PHO in Montreal but they seem to be lining up to get Gorton. Which makes sense, I can see him wanting a job out east.

If the owners don't want to pay another coach and Green stays. If the losing continues.  We will see players begin to ask for trades.

The players need to look at themselves and get going. A productive Petey and Boeser would change everything. 

Those two may need a new area code. If they are going to move Petey I would do it soon. Do it while teams still think he can be saved.  Move Petey for a big 3 line center and a pick .

Edited by appleboy

9 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If the owners don't want to pay another coach and Green stays. If the losing continues.  We will see players begin to ask for trades.

The players need to look at themselves and get going. A productive Petey and Boeser would change everything. 

Those two may need a new area code. If they are going to move Petey I would do it soon. Do it while teams still think he can be saved.  Move Petey for a big 3 line center and a pick .

Wouldn't it make more sense to hire a real coach to get him going again and get more value though?  You don't even have to pay a penny more for a new coach; just promote from within.  You get better value from paying Green to sit on the couch than you do from paying him to destroy the team.

I remember this board years ago when McTavish was hinted as a Canuck replacement coach. Then Dallas Eakin was a hot commodity a year or so later. Well both of them crashed and burned with the Coilers, and all of their high draft picks. So, let's be careful what we wish for. I still believe that Green is a good coach, but when I see mostly veterans on the team making mental errors it makes me wonder if something else is going on? Long hauler issues are what I've suspected since the season began. I don't believe Sutter is the only one suffering.

26 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I remember this board years ago when McTavish was hinted as a Canuck replacement coach. Then Dallas Eakin was a hot commodity a year or so later. Well both of them crashed and burned with the Coilers, and all of their high draft picks. So, let's be careful what we wish for. I still believe that Green is a good coach, but when I see mostly veterans on the team making mental errors it makes me wonder if something else is going on? Long hauler issues are what I've suspected since the season began. I don't believe Sutter is the only one suffering.

Green also had Covid, what if he is a long-hauler and that's what causing some of his idiotic decisions?  He's been even more incompetent this season than in the past.