The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford Press Conference on Dec. 13, 2021.

Rate this topic

JamesB

5 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Sure.

But this is the same league where Benning gave his &^@#ing son a job and Pierre McGuire has a high-level gig. In particular, there are a ton of highly qualified female and European candidates who are far more qualified to be in NHL front offices at some capacity than the aforementioned people.

I don’t think our view points are all that different.  I just want the best person hired.  If the best hire is also a diverse hire great.  If the best hire is a 50 year old white dude that’s been around hockey for 45 years great.  Do we want an unqualified person hired into a role they don’t belong in never. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

One thing I can say is that it’s nice to have a PoHO/Interim GM who can string together two sentences and find a coherent thought without a floodlight and a search and rescue team. 

its kind of ironic tho isn't it that JR is saying "competitive in 2 years" and because the plan is delivered well, most people are pretty happy today about the direction of the team.

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

Great comments. The big question now is what moves will be made when JR does start looking to make moves -- maybe in February or March. Miller is a possibility as he is signed for only one more year and, although he is an excellent player, he is exactly the kind of guy who gets a UFA contract that is too long given his age (he will be about 30 ) and too expensive. I think it will depend on how the Canucks do in the next two months. If they go on a streak and actually get  back into the playoff discussion for this year, I think he stays. 

Agree about being relieved about not trading the first.  I think it is likely that JR sees this year's first round pick as an important building block for what he views as the likely window of opportunity to be a Cup contender.

Yes, JR pointed out that with so much parity in the league,  a couple of moves can push the team close to the top or close to the bottom. As others have said, no need to blow up the team. Just two or three moves (including maybe a good first round pick) and letting the young guys to continue to improve, along with good coaching and good goaltending, might be enough. 

Yes, JR emphasized needing a range of player types. Schenn is cheap,  fills an important need, and would not generate much of a return. I don't see him going anywhere.

So, who will be moved. I think Boeser might be moved. He is a good player but there are three reasons why he might be on the trading block later this season. First, his current contract is up this year and  his qualifying offer is $7.5 million, That might just be unaffordable. And even if the Canucks could make room for it, Boeser is no bargain at that price.  Second, JR indicated a couple of times that he would like more team speed and Boeser is not a fast skater. Third, he probably has a fairly high trade value this year as guy who can contribute to a playoff run or Cup run and as an RFA. 

I like Boeser. He is legitimate "sniper"  and I would be happy if he stays. But he would need to sign for a lower salary (which I think is unlikely) and he does not contribute a lot in other areas -- not much physical play, not likely for the PK, not an energy player, not a likely shutdown guy.  Guys with impressive scoring numbers and highlight reel goals but limits in other areas are often overvalued in the market. 

Of course, at this stage it is all very uncertain and a lot depends on how things go in the next few weeks.  

On Miller, I would think the first thing would be to explore with his agent what he see's his next contract to be, and if he wants it to be here. This is his retirement deal, so its not going to be cheap. I love Miller today, and probably next year. Do we love Miller at 34 for 7.5 mil?

If we're in the window now its a no-brainer to keep him. But if JR can't fill the gaps in the lineup any other way, AND its not clear Miller would re-sign I think that makes him the most likely one to go.

If a Miller trade and this draft worked out this way maybe thats the main parts of the re-tool?

- Miller for an RFA centre or D, hopefully with some size and a pick

- Our top 10-12 1st used to draft a RHD or C with size

- pick from Miller trade for another late round BPA C or D

Edited by JM_

The one thing I'm going to find interesting to see is. Benning for some reason had patience for some prospects, and zero patience for others. I'd like to see how the new 

President and GM manage our prospects. Will we also see better development? Benning could scout, but he was like a lot of other Vancouver GM's he was lousy on

the development and managing aspect. 

34 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Sure.

But this is the same league where Benning gave his &^@#ing son a job and Pierre McGuire has a high-level gig. In particular, there are a ton of highly qualified female and European candidates who are far more qualified to be in NHL front offices at some capacity than the aforementioned people.

They could Alf the f'ing alian into the front office, if he was the best qualified....

In saying that it has also to do with chemistry... 

PS who is to say they are more qualified? we can't even agree amongst ourselves, who should be this or that...

Talk about managing up.  Here is what Rutherford is dealing with

Francesco said that he likes to hire experienced executives......

Like....wait, Gillis, Linden, Benning.....no.....AV had very little, Tortorella (check, how did that work out?), Dejardins, Green.....not so much.....:picard:

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The one thing I'm going to find interesting to see is. Benning for some reason had patience for some prospects, and zero patience for others. I'd like to see how the new 

President and GM manage our prospects. Will we also see better development? Benning could scout, but he was like a lot of other Vancouver GM's he was lousy on

the development and managing aspect. 

I think of development being more of a coaching responsibility. And it didn’t help matters when you have consecutive rookie coaches who are probably more concerned about their own survival than helping young players. Remember the “this isn’t a development league” mantra?

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Talk about managing up.  Here is what Rutherford is dealing with

Francesco said that he likes to hire experienced executives......

Like....wait, Gillis, Linden, Benning.....no.....AV had very little, Tortorella (check, how did that work out?), Dejardins, Green.....not so much.....:picard:

To be fair, the team had hired experienced people like Burke, and Nonis. The issue seemed to be appointing people that were familiar with the team wasn't working either. 

Gillis was an experienced Player Agent, so he knew players. He just fell for Gillis' pitch that he was going to look at everything, to get better. And the biggest failing was the team not getting the correct scouting staff. Something Gillis never looked at fixing. A lot depends on who you are hiring. Yzerman and BriseBois didn't have a very large resume when they got hired. They turned out pretty good. 

17 hours ago, combover said:

Watched the entire interview.

gotta say I really like what he had to say. 
i like the answers

not looking to trade draft pick 

not looking to add 30+ year old players. 

If he makes trades he wants to get younger. 

likes the team but see it has holes and needs pieces 

take some time to see the team up close before making decisions. 

Good answers to the wall/gear dismissals 

FA made the call give JR the ability to change the culture with his guys that have no loyalties to previous regimes. 

Did say one time a stupid catch phrase “age gap” foundational” “ placeholder”

no fluff 

what a stupid question about Jake  Virtanen.

Holy crap are our fans ever aholes lol. You saving this one to grammatically hang him like everyone did with Benning? Truly and unbelievably pathetic. Prime example of why this market sucks if you're a hockey player. They got the pitchforks out before the JR got off the plane. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

To be fair, the team had hired experienced people like Burke, and Nonis. The issue seemed to be appointing people that were familiar with the team wasn't working either. 

Gillis was an experienced Player Agent, so he knew players. He just fell for Gillis' pitch that he was going to look at everything, to get better. And the biggest failing was the team not getting the correct scouting staff. Something Gillis never looked at fixing. A lot depends on who you are hiring. Yzerman and BriseBois didn't have a very large resume when they got hired. They turned out pretty good. 

Imo, there are two main differences between Gillis & Yzerman: Yzerman, has the experienced & knowledge, on what it takes to win a cup from a players perspective.  Secondly, it cannot be ignored, all the people that had mentored him during his career as a player & executive (Holland & Bowman, just to name a few).  As for Gillis, his pre GM record is not as public as Yzerman; but he seems to be a very intelligent individual, who was learning to be a GM, when he was hired - just like JB.   Situational awareness and being accountable, are perhaps Yzermans' greatest traits; and he seems to also be a great student of history.  

As for the Canucks, FA hit a homerun with Boudreau; but Iam cautiously optimistic about JR - for now - due to his history with Car & Pits - of being impatient.  Anyways, JR said all the right things during the presser and his experienced was very noticeably, in how well, he managed the presser.  Imo, who he hires as GM & for how long, will say reveal about where, he thinks the Canucks are in there competitive cycle.  I am really, looking forward how this new leadership group (that Aquaman, has assembled), will perform; and will give JB some kudos for assembling the core.   

conflicting statements out there regarding Mark Hunter :

The Canucks GM search

NHL Watcher: Elliotte Friedman on the 32 Thoughts Podcast on the Canucks GM search: “{Mark} Hunter could be in the middle of this cause they want to be build up their scouting, he knows young players, and also, the other thing about Mark Hunter is if they want him they could probably get him now.”

NHL Watcher: Marek had checked around and said that Hunter was not in the mix. Friedman said that he heard from a couple of people that Hunter was in the mix.

17 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I pay to keep Miller.

We've needed a guy with his all round skill set for a long time. Can play in every situation and is a ppg center. Not easy to replace. 

I think we'll only be able to keep 1 of Miller or Horvat. And it may not come down to who we want to keep, but rather, who wants to stay (without a significant overpayment).

I suspect management will keep both JT and Bo until the end of the year, then talk contract negotiation with them and see how that goes. It could be that both make clear they'd rather move on to try to win, which would change our timeline greatly.

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

conflicting statements out there regarding Mark Hunter :

The Canucks GM search

NHL Watcher: Elliotte Friedman on the 32 Thoughts Podcast on the Canucks GM search: “{Mark} Hunter could be in the middle of this cause they want to be build up their scouting, he knows young players, and also, the other thing about Mark Hunter is if they want him they could probably get him now.”

NHL Watcher: Marek had checked around and said that Hunter was not in the mix. Friedman said that he heard from a couple of people that Hunter was in the mix.

Co-owns the London Knights with brother Dale. He left the Laffers when Dubas was named GM. They had been co-GMs to that point. Not sure what he has been doing since then? Played for the Flamers so he knows the West. Maybe brother Dale will scout the OHL for him?

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Co-owns the London Knights with brother Dale. He left the Laffers when Dubas was named GM. They had been co-GMs to that point. Not sure what he has been doing since then? Played for the Flamers so he knows the West. Maybe brother Dale will scout the OHL for him?

He is back with the Knights full time.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think we'll only be able to keep 1 of Miller or Horvat. And it may not come down to who we want to keep, but rather, who wants to stay (without a significant overpayment).

I suspect management will keep both JT and Bo until the end of the year, then talk contract negotiation with them and see how that goes. It could be that both make clear they'd rather move on to try to win, which would change our timeline greatly.

Bo fits better into a young core as he's at least a couple years younger than Miller although Horvat would probably be the "old man" of the young core.

Miller is probably most value right now given his point per game scoring pace over the last three years and the fact that if a team acquires him for a cup run this year, they could get 2 cup runs with him at a very reasonable cap hit (for his level of production).

The problem with trading either of them however is that the Canucks basically have nothing in the pipeline to replace them.  Sutter's long COVID problems, while terrible, should not have had such a terrible impact on the team.  Dickinson's inability to play C was a gamble that went sideways.  Even trading one of them would require the Canucks to get a C in return either for them, for another asset, or in FA.

• Cheers 1