The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mathew Highmore has quietly been learning from Boudreau and Motte

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Highmore was good last year too.

Highmore and Motte are similar players with a lot of energy, they go into the corners and dig pucks out of the tough spots.  

Highmore was just undervalued by Canucks fans as much as Gaudette may have been overvalued.  

The trio of Motte Lammikko and Highmore is my favorite line on the team. They work hard and never take a night off. If only they could finish their chances at a higher rate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I like my grinders and bottom 6 heros. One thing JB was never able to do was shore up his bottom ranks at forward. Lots of costly mistakes there. We haven’t been able to find consistency in our bottom 6 in years…the line of Lammy, Motte, Highmore bring me back to those days I remember being proud of our teams 3rd and 4th lines. Feels good to see some glimpses of it again.

Good points, the team has a lot of FA, coming up and some of the players are overperforming, under Boudreau.  This price, has gone up on some of the players and it will be interesting how, JR will juggle the situation.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Kid was a solid pickup from Benning, great trade that EVERYONE freaked out about.

He's become a integral part of our 4th line, while Gaudette is struggling to stay in the Ottawa lineup after being tossed away by Chicago. 

Maybe Gaud's magic crystals are broken? Or you know...complete bull$&!#.....

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

As everyone has observed, it has gotten to the point that the line is no longer referred to as '...the fourth line'.... it can play anytime, anywhere.

John & John referred to a social media post that renamed them the, "Motto Line" (after the Lotto Line: 6-40-9); I thought that was pretty cool.

And I love Lammo; he's got everything we need; he's got a good body; good girth; he's what you want. - Coach Dan - BC Lions.

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Finally, an affordable 4th line, that can compete.  Hoping, they can move some pieces and use the savings to keep the 4th line, together cause all three are Free Agents, at seasons end.

They are an easy re-up, as they wont cost much. Highmore will sign for 800K, same with Lammiko. We should re-sign Motte unless JR can get a 1st round pick for him. One player that Canucks should trade in TDL is Pearson and the other is Dickenson.

19 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

John & John referred to a social media post that renamed them the, "Motto Line" (after the Lotto Line: 6-40-9); I thought that was pretty cool.

And I love Lammo; he's got everything we need; he's got a good body; good girth; he's what you want. - Coach Dan - BC Lions.

Damn, that is exactly what I heard a girl say last night about meB)

• Huggy Bear 1

30 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

They are an easy re-up, as they wont cost much. Highmore will sign for 800K, same with Lammiko. We should re-sign Motte unless JR can get a 1st round pick for him. One player that Canucks should trade in TDL is Pearson and the other is Dickenson.

Makes sense, 1yr 'show me type deal', for Highmore & Lammi and close to the same deal for Motte.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points, the team has a lot of FA, coming up and some of the players are overperforming, under Boudreau.  This price, has gone up on some of the players and it will be interesting how, JR will juggle the situation.

It will be interesting. I’m hoping things stay intact. But the reality may be the opposite of that…so I’m bracing myself.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Kid was a solid pickup from Benning, great trade that EVERYONE freaked out about.

He's become a integral part of our 4th line, while Gaudette is struggling to stay in the Ottawa lineup after being tossed away by Chicago. 

He actually has 7 points in 9 games with Ottawa. I won't call him struggling to stay in the line up for Ottawa. I like Highmore and I hope we keep him as part of our role players going forward.

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

highmore have been great under boudreau but i still wouldn't mind having gaudette on the team.. one of the biggest issue with the team this year is secondary scoring. gaudette would be somewhere between 2nd-3rd on this team in points per game avg and he plays half the mins of those players. of coz he wouldn't be able to keep up those pace here on the canucks but i figured he would be somewhere at 15-20 points on this team now.. that's the production of like highmore chiasson dickenson combined. we avg well under 3 goals per game not going to win many games in this league scoring just 2 goals.

Lol I don't think anyone would mind having Gaudette on the team, he's skilled and a RH C after all.  However, when it comes to secondary scoring I will disagree, particularly that he will be 2nd-3rd on this team in points/ game.  If he wouldn't be able to pick up those points on the Canucks (as you said) then how do you expect him to do so?  As well, points aside, Highmore and Dickinson at least bring a defensive game that would need help while optimally the top-9 was firing offensively.  If the top-9 did fire, then where would Gaudette slot?  I don't think he would have the same defensive impact if he was lined up next to Motte and Lammikko since a major reason we let him go was the fact that he wasn't holding it down defensively but was better suited to be in the top-6.  If there's no room in the top-9, then why should we have kept him (besides to be a 13th scoring forward, which he probably wouldn't want)?

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol I don't think anyone would mind having Gaudette on the team, he's skilled and a RH C after all.  However, when it comes to secondary scoring I will disagree, particularly that he will be 2nd-3rd on this team in points/ game.  If he wouldn't be able to pick up those points on the Canucks (as you said) then how do you expect him to do so?  As well, points aside, Highmore and Dickinson at least bring a defensive game that would need help while optimally the top-9 was firing offensively.  If the top-9 did fire, then where would Gaudette slot?  I don't think he would have the same defensive impact if he was lined up next to Motte and Lammikko since a major reason we let him go was the fact that he wasn't holding it down defensively but was better suited to be in the top-6.  If there's no room in the top-9, then why should we have kept him (besides to be a 13th scoring forward, which he probably wouldn't want)?

Dickinson doesn't bring anything offensively or defensively lol.. guy can't even win a faceoff. Obviously he's not going to be 2nd or 3rd on the team in points I literally said he'll slot in somewhere in the 15-20 points range. If the Lotto line didn't struggle as much this season he could have easily slot in between podz and hoglander.. ahead of Dickinson who would have been the 4th line center. Hoglander and podz aint exactly used in a defensive role now are they? Even with the Lotto line split could still have used ep with horvat. Much more flexibility than having a Dickinson playing on the horvat line. In the ideal world he would easily have a spot in the top 9 even in the current full lineup when u have a Dickinson or chiasson that does nothing rotate in and out of the top 9. 

11 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

He actually has 7 points in 9 games with Ottawa. I won't call him struggling to stay in the line up for Ottawa. I like Highmore and I hope we keep him as part of our role players going forward.

He has been a regular healthy scratch for Ottawa. Gets some points when he draws in, but costs them as much (or more) defensively.

• Cheers 1

On 1/27/2022 at 11:20 PM, DontMessMe said:

Sometimes I wondered if he was pressured by the media and the players to extend Green. Green received A LOT OF PRAISES from the players. And I guess, to Benning, he prob didnt want to sign green hence it took so long? But he succumb to the media and players 

And Green had to be the face for so much of that.  When crap like Virtanen situation happened, thats when the GM/President need to be out front and the leader of the franchise.  I thought they left Green out there to do to much of that while Benning and Co stayed behind the curtains.  There were quite a few times over the years Benning needed to step up and be the face and Green was the ones taking all the punches.

20 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I really don't know how much this has to do with Boudreau. I always loved the Gaudette trade. Motte and Highmore have been hurt most of the year which is why they just started doing well.

This... Motte being injured to start the season had a lot to do with this...

On 1/27/2022 at 11:20 PM, DontMessMe said:

Sometimes I wondered if he was pressured by the media and the players to extend Green. Green received A LOT OF PRAISES from the players. And I guess, to Benning, he prob didnt want to sign green hence it took so long? But he succumb to the media and players 

Yes that was EXACTLY it, tons of media were all over it like it was a done deal before it even happened, and you know how that goes, media is always right so the fans that believe it, make noise and then... well you know what happened. Same thing with LE, the last big name FA available after the big teams got theirs and after the Sedins did well at the world's with LE, the same thing, instead of standing pat and waiting for a bigger faster tougher and skilled player like Anson Carter would have changed the scenery but JB went for LE like the media predicted and fans agreed.. sigh..  same ole!